Boston Properties Office Tower | 888 Boylston Street | Back Bay

I would love to see the Lord & Taylor space go vertical, though I really like the design of the Lord & Taylor currently. I can't put a pin on why, I've just always really liked it.

I hope this project goes vertical soon.

I would love to see the Lord & Taylor space go vertical, though I really like the design of the Lord & Taylor currently. I can't put a pin on why, I've just always really liked it.

I hope this project goes vertical soon.

I've always liked it cause it's clean and simple.

Time machine time.

Lord & Taylor to Remain in 125,000-SF Prudential Center Store
By Naomi Grossman, GlobeSt.com
Last updated: Jan 8, 2003 09:32AM

BOSTON-After a bizarre series of events that culminated in a series of lawsuits, Lord & Taylor and Boston Properties have reached an agreement that will have the upscale retail store extend its lease on its 125,000 sf at 760 Boylston St. in The Prudential Center for another 25 years.

Amy Daniels a spokesperson for Boston Properties, which owns the building, tells GlobeSt.com that a clerical error in which the wrong date was typed made Lord & Taylor miss its date to renew its lease at its current rate. A subsequent court battle was waged in which Boston Properties brought Lord & Taylor's parent, The May Department Stores Company, to court. But representatives from both Boston Properties and Lord & Taylor tell GlobeSt.com that the lease agreement has effectively ended all of the pending litigation.

David Barrett, a senior vice president of Boston Properties tells GlobeSt.com that Lord & Taylor has agreed to allow Boston Properties to take over "a space" of the Lord & Taylor building to be used as a potential residential project. Barrett emphasizes that his company will only take over the area if the city and the neighborhood want a project there and approve it. He notes that the idea is in response to the city's request to the company to help increase its housing stock. According to local published reports, the city was disappointed that the Lord & Taylor site won't be used for housing units but calls to the Boston Redevelopment Authority were not returned by press time. Barrett could not be specific on the size of the project or how much space would be taken from the store.

Dana Marnane, a spokesperson for Lord & Taylor, declined to reveal the store's current lease rate or to specify whether the amount is higher than it was in the former lease. "We are very excited to be staying here at The Prudential Center," she tells GlobeSt.com.

This store is one of seven Lord & Taylor stores in the state and the company says that an exterior renovation--including upgraded entrances, facade and signage--is planned for 2004, subject to review and approval by the city.

From a Recent BBJ article

The Pru Retail is expanding further
Boston Properties expanding Shops at Prudential Center in Boston’s Back Bay
Feb 17, 2015, 2:28pm EST

Catherine Carlock
Real Estate Editor-
Boston Business Journal

Boston Properties is adding space for up to three new retailers at the Prudential Center, the 502,813-square-foot retail complex in Boston's Back Bay neighborhood.

Shawmut Design and Construction has been issued a $9.2 million building permit to build the core and shell of 16,343 square feet of space along the center's Boylston Arcade off 800 Boylston St.

The project involves a renovation of Sephora — which is currently operating in a temporary store location across from Microsoft — as well as the creation of a second floor to the area formerly occupied by Legal Sea Foods, said Rebecca Stoddard Rosello, marketing manager for Boston Properties Inc., in an email.

"Approximately 6,000 (square feet) has been committed, and we are prospecting both retail and restaurant options for the remainder of the space," Rosello said in an email.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority approved the $10.5 million project in July.

ah no fair I was having internet issues and beeline beat me too it :)

ah no fair I was having internet issues and beeline beat me too it :)
BOS, sorry to steal a bit of your thunder, but i saw it on my way to TJ's this morning and could not resist posting them as soon as I got home.

all good< awesome to see another crane on the skyline,When the two around the corner soon join it,It should be some great construction shots for us!

BOS, sorry to steal a bit of your thunder, but i saw it on my way to TJ's this morning and could not resist posting them as soon as I got home.

funny I was on my way to TJ's when I spotted the crane

Is the crane also being used to add the second floor on the other side of the arcade for the Legal Seafood?

It does not look like they are using the big crane for this project. They have a small crane on the plaza, as you can see in the 3rd photo.

Beeline -- Where were you standing for the last picture in that sequence

I was standing in the plaza between the Pru residentual towers. I got there by using a mall entrance/exit just after the borded up section. Talk about your wind swept plazas and a very large waste of space.

Back