Boston Properties Office Tower | 888 Boylston Street | Back Bay

Re: 888 Boylston Street

Wow. There's definitely some healthy competition in that area for upscale department shopping, but this location will be fantastic for them.

So, is this retail spot going to face right onto the (diminished) plaza? I assume it will...

Wow. There's definitely some healthy competition in that area for upscale department shopping, but this location will be fantastic for them.

So, is this retail spot going to face right onto the (diminished) plaza? I assume it will...

I hope they put Fourty Carrots right on the plaza.

Last edited:

I am very excited for this development. My thoughts...

1) 16 stories is just right. Anything taller will be too overwhelming. Design is fine.
2) The new "plaza" space is sufficient.
3) The Mandarin, which is a good design by itself, won't be so opposing with this next door. And the Hines will also have a nice companion.
4) The outside seating at Towne appears to be intact.
5) More shops and restaurants... the most important thing.

That's a solid move. It has always surprised me Boston lacked a Bloomingdales.

Shopping in Boston continues to improve.

I thought we might see a Bloomingdales in the Filenes development. My money is now on a Nordstrom as the big box retailer at Filenes.

That's a solid move. It has always surprised me Boston lacked a Bloomingdales.

Shopping in Boston continues to improve.

Mass - Boston - i.e. Chestnut Hill on Rt-9 has had a Bloomingdales for decades

Early -on they didn't want to fight with other Federated stores {Jordan Marsh] downtown -- later-on DTX was cratering for most department stores and Chestnut Hill had the right demographic for Bloomingdales

Now it looks as if the Pru / Copley has the right demo for:
Neiman Marcus, Sax 5th Ave., Lord & Taylor's and now Bloomingdales

Nordstrom is still being talked about -- but no sign of it landing so far in the downtown area

Early -on they didn't want to fight with other Federated stores {Jordan Marsh] downtown -- later-on DTX was cratering for most department stores and Chestnut Hill had the right demographic for Bloomingdales

This is false. Bloomingdales was the centerpiece of Lafayette Place Phase II (Hayward Place)/Boston Crossing. The mall failed, Campeau Group went under and Bloomingdales suddenly no longer had a building to go into (Phase II).

Mass - Boston - i.e. Chestnut Hill on Rt-9 has had a Bloomingdales for decades

Now it looks as if the Pru / Copley has the right demo for:
Neiman Marcus, Sax 5th Ave., Lord & Taylor's and now Bloomingdales

Nordstrom is still being talked about -- but no sign of it landing so far in the downtown area

Whighlander, here is how you would respond to this post:

The Chestnut Hill Mall, or the Mall at Chestnut Hill as it is officially called, is part of Newton, not Boston. Newton, it's own city, was incorporated in 1688.

Interestingly, Newton was never part of Boston, but rather was originally part of Cambridge. Now, Newton doesn't even border Cambridge - go figure! Newton is not named after Isaac Newton, who was a great physicist and mathematician.

<pseudo-science rant>Isaac Newton's greatest contribution to science was his laws of motion. He derived the equation F=ma. This equation is essentially meaningless because it is dependent upon time, so it is meaningless as one approaches the speed of light and is no longer experiencing time in a linear fashion.</pseudo-science rant>

Newton is actually derived from New Towne, and shortened and American-ized into Newton. Speaking of America, the Hammond Pond, which is right next to The Mall at Chestnut Hill at New Towne would be a perfect place to hold Olympic Swimming in 2024. The Olympics will enable us to convert the Green Line into HRT. There can be ferries to and from a relocated Chestnut Hill stop - and the "Olympic Village at the Mall at Chestnut Hill at New Towne in Linear Time Space"

Annoying, huh?

EDIT: I apologize for the "cutting off of the nose to spite the face" de-rail

^ heh. you forgot to refer to MIT multiple times ;)

Annoying, huh?

Bigeman -- I liked that except for the pseudo science part -- I would have preferred a digression into the myth of the apple and the Plague

^ heh. you forgot to refer to MIT multiple times ;)

Busses actually the main failure was the lack of mention of the Fig Neuetowne

and its origin with the Bakery in Cambridge eponymously called Kennedy although unrelated to the Presidential Family
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM55KA_Kennedy_Biscuit_forerunner_to_Nabisco_Bakery_Cambridge_MA

0d3623c9-514b-4874-8004-7453e70981ab.jpg

Kennedy Biscuit (forerunner to Nabisco) Bakery - Cambridge, MA
in Iconic Factories
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member NorStar
N 42° 21.746 W 071° 06.102
19T E 326929 N 4692157
Quick Description: The Kennedy Biscuit Factory, now the Kennedy Biscuit Lofts, was where Fig Newtons were introduced and other well known crackers and cookies were made.
Date Posted: 11/15/2008 7:29:04 AM
Waymark Code: WM55KA
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member kbarhow
Views: 16
Download this waymark:
.GPX File
.LOC File
.KML File (Google Earth)

Long Description:
In Cambridge, between Central Square and MIT, and a couple blocks south of Massachusetts Avenue, is a brick structure that was the former Kennedy Biscuit Factory. Though this name is not commonly known today, many of the products made at this location, Fig Newtons, Lorna Doones, for example, are still enjoyed today by millions of people, and many manufacturing innovations in baking were done here.

Annoying, huh?

POST OF THE YEAR!

(BTW, imagine an extended internet dialogue between Whighlander and BostonBred.....)

Although I am supportive of this project, I feel that this building is being wedged in there like your chubby, awkward cousin in a family holiday photo. It seems a bit forced.

Back