Boston Properties Office Tower | 888 Boylston Street | Back Bay

I agree I was hoping this would be re designed maybe turned sideways then taller and skinnier /I don't like the way its going to take away the only view of the Pru viewed from the street where u see it top to bottom

I noticed them out there yesterday, too. I didn't think the new building was coming as far out as that tripod reader is. Hopefully it's a bit further back.

It's just survey equipment to get the initial site data. Doesn't have anything to do with the footprint.

Is this project starting up soon? I noticed today that all of the shops on the right hand side of the corridor between Boylston street and the food court are closed and walled off. The little shop carts formerly in the center of the corridor have been moved over up against the closed up stores. There were some guys in Turner uniforms out in the plaza, though I didn't see any equipment of any kind.

^ yes, we're in the third quarter of the year now and that's when they said construction would start.

Those guys could be surveying just about anything in that spot, no? Doesn't necessarily mean it is a precursor to the 888 project.

No, but it is odd that all those stores are suddenly closed and walled off. The chocolate store and the game store had been open in that spot for at least a decade.

Are they actually connecting 888 into that part of the mall? If so, I guess this could be the beginning of construction. But I don't remember there being anything happening to the mall during construction?

Re: 888 Boylston Street

The Truffles chocolate store, the luggage store and the game store are all closed and set behind a big white wall:

ClosedSotres_zpsc2f2b7af.jpg

The image posted by xec earlier in the thread shows this building joining the mall roughly where these stores were.

^ I think this plaza is going to be nice. It'll be very popular with musicians and street performers and has plenty of space for outdoor seating at Towne and any cafe/restaurant that goes into the new building. It will be perpetually in shadow/shade, but there is nothing to be done about that.

If this image is correct it looks like mall entrance is also going to be redone.

Interestingly they also dismantled the Towne outdoor seating trellis-thing, which is also back in the eventual footprint. My feeling is that this thing is getting started.

^ I think this plaza is going to be nice. It'll be very popular with musicians and street performers and has plenty of space for outdoor seating at Towne and any cafe/restaurant that goes into the new building. It will be perpetually in shadow/shade, but there is nothing to be done about that.

Agree, the plaza will likely be far more active than it ever has been. Such a dead zone with poor programming for such a long time given it's location. 888 will be a win all the way around.

I'd say the time is ripe for this one- I just can't see them closing down a number of stores otherwise. They were always busy.

I will miss the top-to-bottom view of the Pru, but that plaza is gross and it'll be nice to have it filled in.

Do we know where they'll be relocating the statue there currently?

How bout an Eataly here?

It's already been announced that Bloomingdale's will lease 100,000+ square feet on a few levels of this new addition, which I'm sure they plan to integrate to the Boylston Arcade where the closed Truffle, Luggage, and GameStop shops are.

They didn't close Godiva, did they?! (LOL)

Also, about the statue... I just took a look at it (my office is literally across the street from this project upstairs from Back Bay Social Club). I'm sure they'll just move the statue up 20 feet closer to the street so it still remains a fixture on the plaza. It'd be foolish not to preserve that.

Back