Boston Properties Office Tower | 888 Boylston Street | Back Bay

I lament the loss of the view of the Pru. I just really hope this results in an expansion of the Boylston Arcade. I've mentioned it before, but that damn entrance is more crowded than the green line at rush hour. Not that I use the food court much since the indian place closed, but it sucks, especially with those stupid junk carts.

I wish they allowed access through the Hynes. Not only would it alleviate a lot of the demand on the Boylston Arcade, it might activate the Belvidere Arcade, which is a no-mans land except around the pizza place at lunch time.

I really hope they save the statue, although one would think it would be in that rendering if it was the case. It's actually pretty nice, the guys arm reaching up has always reminded me of some of the industrial art deco statues in an abstract way. Maybe they will put it in the garden of perpetual closure.

^^^ I am happy they are filling in the space. It is an odd space that doesn't work in my opinion. It is good to see all "open" spaces at the Pru being filled in. I remember what a strange wasteland the Huntington Ave side was before 111 Huntington, etc. was built.

Random question: does anyone know why Ring Road is called Ring Road? It only goes in a straight line, and looking at historic aerials it looks like it's always been that way. Was the street named when there was some alternate plan for the pru?

^^Regarding the statue: It's a sculpture by Donald DeLue. He's got a number of maquettes on view at the Child's Gallery on Newbury. He also sculpted the monumental and similar statue for the 64 New York World's Fair along the way toward the Unisphere.

Regarding Ring Road: it used to run the entire way around the Pru Center as an access road. See old pics of the site before the whole site was reworked.

wasn't the statue moved from its original site years ago?

Random question: does anyone know why Ring Road is called Ring Road? It only goes in a straight line, and looking at historic aerials it looks like it's always been that way. Was the street named when there was some alternate plan for the pru?

Does three quarters of the way 'round count? You've got north, east and south ring roads.

8lun.png

DUR, I didn't zoom in close enough. I just assumed the N and SE sections were part of the roads they parallel (Boylston and Huntington), not signed as something different. I guess I was expecting something that cut through the pavilions, not just widened existing roads. Since there is no longer any semblance of a ring, they should really just resign it as Harcourt Street.

I will say, as crappy as the first iteration of the Pru complex was from an urbanistic perspective, I would love to time travel back to the 60s and experience it in it's prime. I can only imagine rolling up to the huntington entrance in a coupe deville, walking across that bridge in a slick tweed suit, and being greeted by a hot secretary with beehive hair.

^ I gotta get around to replacing all them broken image links... damn you, Imageshack.

I believe Ring Road actually predates the Pru Center, and originally ran all the way around the old Boylston Rail Yard.

^ Nope, there was an alley that ran between Mechanics Hall and the railyard, but other than that the yard extended all the way up to Dalton, Boylston and Exeter.

wasn't the statue moved from its original site years ago?

Yes, the sculpture (Quest Eternal by Donald DeLue) was moved from it original location at the Huntington entrance when that plaza was redeveloped into the mall in the '90s.

Another sculpture by Harry Bertoia used to hang in the lobby outside the tower entrance. When they redid that area in the '00s it disappeared and I was never able to find out where it went.

This is from tomorrow's BRA meeting. Not sure what they are talking about because the attachment is missing:

http://boston.siretechnologies.com/...qjbw2bnhctl0rw1wl/10894607092014052317261.PDF

On December 10, 2013, the Developer submitted plans for small project review under
Article 80E and Article 80C of the Code. The submission details a renovation plan for a
portion of the Boylston Arcade/Retail Block B within the Prudential Center
Redevelopment, which is situated in Planned Development Area (PDA) No. 37. When
completed, the renovation plan will create approximately 16,343 square feet of
additional retail floor area, consisting of upper level restaurant and retail shop space.

As shown in the attached floor plans and elevations, the Proposed Work includes
renovations to existing street level and arcade spaces, as well as proposed expansion of
the upper level improvements. As the Proposed Work is situated within existing
structures within PDA No. 37, such work is subject to BRA Urban Design Review
pursuant to Article 3 and Section 80C-8 of the Code, which governs work within PDAs,
and is also subject to Small Project Review under Article 80E to ensure that the
Proposed Work is consistent with the Development Plan and associated agreements.

Yes, the sculpture (Quest Eternal by Donald DeLue) was moved from it original location at the Huntington entrance when that plaza was redeveloped into the mall in the '90s.

Another sculpture by Harry Bertoia used to hang in the lobby outside the tower entrance. When they redid that area in the '00s it disappeared and I was never able to find out where it went.

Hate to contradict. but the DeLue statue was always on the Boylston Side, exactly where it is to day. It has never been moved. I'm talking as far back as 1964. The Huntington side had stairs and fountains, but no statue and went up to the upper plaza/ Rock Center wannabe skating rink for a while.

was it moved for a bit, then put back? I remember something happen to it because the tree lighting ceremonies was moved at one point also?

BBJ says the BRA approved retail expansion in the Boylston Arcade... http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2014/07/bra-approves-40-million-in-development.html
Boston Properties’ plan to add 16,343 square feet of new retail to the Prudential Center has been given the green light. The $10.5 million project will add the space along the Boylston Arcade on the upper level of the retail center on Boylston Street in the Back Bay. Boston Properties has not signed any leases for the space, but are confident the location will be a strong draw for potential tenants.​

Back