Boston Properties Office Tower | 888 Boylston Street | Back Bay

Hopefully they'll have better luck than the Strata building in London. A good concept, and then new tenants started complaining about noise and vibrations. It has become a bit of urban legend as to whether or not anyone has actually ever seen the turbines working.

i-gjnvRwK-M.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strata_SE1

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2010/jul/18/strata-tower-london-green-architecture

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/resi...o-tower-where-turbines-dont-turn-6503753.html

Whigh, you are actually totally wrong the type that is going on this building is specifically designed to work at a huge variety of speeds and from all directions. Your propaganda is as incorrect as it is misguided.

Go look at the render above, like actually use your eyes. The wind turbines that are being mounted are vertical helix wind turbines, which none of your points apply to.

Mongo I was giving generic answers to generic comments -- every type of wind turbine or other wind machine behaves according to the same fundamental principles -- specifically Newton's Laws of Motion and 19th / early 20 C work by Statistical Mechanicians on Laminar & Turbulent Flows and further work upto the minute on airfoils

Fundamentally its all about -- How do you extract energy from wind flow

The simple answer is by deflecting the wind with an airfoil or similar structure -- when you do that the deflection of the incoming air flow introduces turbulence in the outgoing flow -- vorticity which persists for significant distance down wind

Eventually the organized vorticity degenerates into turbulence on many scales and ends finally as heat

The basic result is that you don't fly a Cessna 4 seater right behind a 747-400 you wait for a few miles

Further -- when the vorticities interact with structures you get various unintended effects such as the Whomp, Whomp of a 2 or 3 blade structure -- the big tall wind turbines such as the one near the Mystic Generation Station

Or the familiar WZZZZZZZzzzzzzHHHHhhWWWWWww and whine of a turbofan engine

Moral of the story is that if you want to couple with the wind -- you are going to have sound and turbulence

Whigh, you are actually totally wrong the type that is going on this building is specifically designed to work at a huge variety of speeds and from all directions. Your propaganda is as incorrect as it is misguided.

Coleslaw -- I sure hope that you don't try to dispute Newton's Suggestions with an 18 Wheeler ;)

PS: from a comment on a British Blog which was discussing Strata

"From Wagner's Der Fliegende Holländer (The Flying Dutchman)

Wer baut auf Wind, baut auf Satans Erbarmen!

which translates roughly to

He who trusts the wind, trusts Satan's mercy!

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:11 PM | Unregistered Commenter Bernd Felsche

Note: Felsche was mostly commenting about the unanticipated difficulties Germany and Denmark were having with mostly off-shore wind farms

Last edited:
The FXFOWLE site has some good renderings from Memorial Drive and Fenway. It seems to me that the roof elements/mechanicals push this just about equal (or perhaps above?) with the three old Avalon residences in terms of height. Though that might just be perspective.

d2381d253d7e3d7dac94502d7854de2f.jpg

(All images from FXFOWLE)

Downbust -- amazing from that vantage on the Pike the new tower lines up with the Gehry renovation in the foreground

Where once Gehry had proposed to hang a giant Tea Bag the line of sight will now be head-on to the group of wind turbines

Sometimes you can't make this stuff up -- truth is stranger than fiction

;)

Jesus that triple post. But I honestly do not know how you can try to claim science on your side when you deny anthropogenic climate change. The example you site is a problem with a completely different type of windmill. I would rather have the small amount of noise over 200 feet and renewable energy than not. You quoted Easterbrook before didn't you? Do you still believe that puppet working for the same propaganda institute (Heartland), in the pocket of fossil fuel companies, that argued cigarettes were good when funded by big tobacco?

Jesus that triple post. But I honestly do not know how you can try to claim science on your side when you deny anthropogenic climate change. The example you site is a problem with a completely different type of windmill. I would rather have the small amount of noise over 200 feet and renewable energy than not. You quoted Easterbrook before didn't you? Do you still believe that puppet working for the same propaganda institute (Heartland), in the pocket of fossil fuel companies, that argued cigarettes were good when funded by big tobacco?

Please keep it to the wind turbines in this thread and leave the climate change baiting to the CC thread: http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=1722&page=2

Coleslaw -- this is getting way, way away from the topic
But a few more comments:
  • Despite what you sincerely want to believe -- and you are certainly entitled to your own interpretations of things -- Physics doesn't bend to make Greenies feel good:
  • The same laws that governed the picturesque windmills pumping out the Dutch Polders apply to an office tower on Boylston St.
  • The same amount of wind blowing off the North Sea can be tapped about as efficiently today as it could be in the heyday of the Hanseatic League.
  • Reality sometimes overcomes hype -- After very high expectations, the countries along the North Sea and the Baltic are scaling way back from the hype.
  • In the US Real Data is now available on Capacity Utilization Factors – and wind systems are some of the lowest of any electric power generation technologies

See for instance the following from the US DOE Energy Information Administration
    main.png

There's definitely a lot of man made hot air in this thread. It seems to be coming from in or around the Lexington area.

There's definitely a lot of man made hot air in this thread. It seems to be coming from in or around the Lexington area.

Uground -- if anyone was serious about tapping the wind in the Pru area-- here's how you do it

It's was proven from years of observations prior to the enclosure of the Pru Shopping Galleries that the tower directs streams of air down its side which led to high levels of ground wind

So you modify the Pru Tower:

• at about the 30th floor you build a skirt to deflect residual wind outward
  • just above the skirt you install a belt of vertical shaft ducted turbines -- each essentially the Fan section from a modern high bypass turbofan engine -- e.g. GE Genx

Streams of fast moving air [aka wind] unimpeded from just about any direction strike the Pru at the top and are deflected downward roughly parallel to the building. When the vertical wind stream encounters the turbines level it is drastically slowed and the momentum transferred to the spinning turbines which are always perfectly aligned. The residual outflow air is dispersed by the skirt -- substantially improving the pedestrian experience in the immediate area.

HeY ---- how about a progress report on the building -- been a while since we've seen anything on how the construction has progressed

How do you not know better by now? :(

I didn't pay attention to who the poster was. I am sorry everyone.

Wigh, again the baltic is a terrible comparison as they are using a radically different method. Current capacity is also a terrible way to measure green energy efficiency as the government disproportionately invests in fossil fuels. That graph is why change is necessary you are lacking all logic to think that backs you up.

There is not a negative to getting more clean energy, especially because these will be in space that is already occupied by buildings and that is already noisy because of the city. More buildings need to be built this way.

I didn't pay attention to who the poster was. I am sorry everyone.

Wigh, again the baltic is a terrible comparison as they are using a radically different method. Current capacity is also a terrible way to measure green energy efficiency as the government disproportionately invests in fossil fuels. That graph is why change is necessary you are lacking all logic to think that backs you up.

There is not a negative to getting more clean energy, especially because these will be in space that is already occupied by buildings and that is already noisy because of the city. More buildings need to be built this way.

Coleslaw -- Once again transfer of momentum from moving air to moving metal / plastic / wood -- it doesn't matter -- the air is deflected, vorticity and turbulence is produced and the end result is increased noise -- the previous is not in doubt

Now of course the introduction of the structure into the wind field itself leads to much of the same -- e.g. the Howling Wind around a building -- you do have some control over how you shape the structure and how much wind effects there are due to the building itself

Current capacity is also a terrible way to measure green energy efficiency as the government disproportionately invests in fossil fuels. That graph is why change is necessary you are lacking all logic to think that backs you up.
as for the statement that current capacity is not a good way to measure Green Energy Efficiency -- I suppose that the Green Energy Fairy Godmother is going to wave her wand and Isaac Newton's Suggestions are going to disappear in a puff of smoke -- Give it a rest

or is it just that you do not know what is a Capacity Factor

For your edification there are numbers on the generator known as Nameplate Capacity -- i.e. continuous output Power

Take the total output over a period of time [say a year] that is Energy that has been produced

If you take the Energy Produced and divide it by the Possible Energy Production [Power * Time ] the resultant is the Capacity Factor

Note that at the top is the Greenest of all Energy -- Nuclear
Note further that of the "renewables" Wind and Solar are quite low -- they are unreliable
Finally at the bottom is the gas fired combustion turbine -- very low because it is only used infrequently to make peak demand or replace another generator which is unavailable

However -- Even when fully operational Green Energy is diffuse energy -- well over 1000 of that big turbine in Everett still will not equal the output of the new Natural Gas Combined Cycle Units at Everett Station. Further when the wind doesn't blow -- you'd better have some Natural Gas for back-up

Last edited:
HeY ---- how about a progress report on the building -- been a while since we've seen anything on how the construction has progressed

I walked by yesterday at lunch. I couldn't get a great view, but peering through the fabric on the fence I spied what I THINK is the core sprouting up 1-2 stories above street level. It was rather far back from the street, though. If I get the chance today, I'll try to snag a pic and let the experts here weigh in.

I walked by yesterday at lunch. I couldn't get a great view, but peering through the fabric on the fence I spied what I THINK is the core sprouting up 1-2 stories above street level. It was rather far back from the street, though. If I get the chance today, I'll try to snag a pic and let the experts here weigh in.

You can't see it in this pic, but I think they may have been raising the form while I was taking the pic. There was some type of alarm sounding and there were strobe lights flashing at each of the four corners on the bottom of the form.

screen capture freeware

print screen windows xp

There was some type of alarm sounding and there were strobe lights flashing at each of the four corners on the bottom of the form.

[Stefon]Boston's hottest club is: 888 Boylston Street[/Stefon]

[Stefon]Boston's hottest club is: 888 Boylston Street[/Stefon]

[Stefon]This place has EVERYTHING! Lights, sunburnt drifters, puke people, and look who just walked in. Is that Super Mario? Close--it's Mario Batali fastening a kitchen sink plumbing line for Eataly. [/Stefon]

Back