Boylston West @ Fenway Triangle (Van Ness) | 1325 Boylston Street | Fenway

Re: Boylston West @ Fenway Triangle (Goodyear Tire) | 1325 Boylston Street | Fenway

Twitter says July 26-29

Re: Boylston West @ Fenway Triangle (Goodyear Tire) | 1325 Boylston Street | Fenway

I really like the red and grey wing. Something about it just works for me.

Target is based in downtown Minneapolis, with a store on the ground floor and offices above. They know better than most big box chains how to make their urban stores feel like they belong in the neighborhood.

No, not at all.

Once youre inside you feel like youre in any big box chain from 1997. Same ugly everything.

No, not at all.

Once youre inside you feel like youre in any big box chain from 1997. Same ugly everything.

Actually, I felt that way in the City Target Chicago a couple weeks ago; kind of surprisingly "run-down" feeling for a relatively new concept.

Actually, I felt that way in the City Target Chicago a couple weeks ago; kind of surprisingly "run-down" feeling for a relatively new concept.

Yup, the same scratched up floor, same peeling paint on the columns, same rickety shelving. same flickering fluorescent lighting.

I dont get the appeal, at all.

Yup, the same scratched up floor, same peeling paint on the columns, same rickety shelving. same flickering fluorescent lighting.

I dont get the appeal, at all.

You don't go to Target for the atmosphere. You go to get cleaning supplies, home furnishings, groceries, office supplies, whatever. They've got it all at great prices.

You don't go to Target for the atmosphere. You go to get cleaning supplies, home furnishings, groceries, office supplies, whatever. They've got it all at great prices.

Yes, but let's face it--we are increasingly looking for "hip" shopping experiences. The same reason Shaw's had to up it's game and add a Starbucks, the reason we go to Whole Foods, the reason Millennium Tower was never going to have a Shaw's... The thing that's odd is the Chicago store is in the landmark Carson Pirie Scott space with the amazing art nouveau ironwork, and the Fenway store is in an upscale condo building that clearly cares about design. You don't expect a Dollar Store interior (and that's what Chicago's is). Yep, I will shop there no matter what, but it is odd...

Yes, but let's face it--we are increasingly looking for "hip" shopping experiences. The same reason Shaw's had to up it's game and add a Starbucks, the reason we go to Whole Foods, the reason Millennium Tower was never going to have a Shaw's... The thing that's odd is the Chicago store is in the landmark Carson Pirie Scott space with the amazing art nouveau ironwork, and the Fenway store is in an upscale condo building that clearly cares about design. You don't expect a Dollar Store interior (and that's what Chicago's is). Yep, I will shop there no matter what, but it is odd...

It's not odd at all. Target fulfills a need for everyday people/families who don't have as much or any disposable income to spend on luxury products or stores who inflate their prices to pay for their high upkeep costs. That Target will be used by all of the rich people buying condos/renting apartments in the Fenway in addition to the tens of thousands of college students in the area and everyday residents who are currently taking the bus and Uber'ing to South Bay Center to go to Target. This is the greatest thing to happen to the Fenway in a while.

I don't think anyone is arguing that it won't be great to have Target here and that it's not an upscale shopping destiny. I think jass and I were commenting on our surprise that Target interiors we've seen often--unnecessarily--look so basic given their location. Doesn't have to look like Bloomingdales, but might is it so hard to aim at a Best Buy or Marshalls-level cleanliness, lighting, upkeep (and maybe it will, but the Chicago store is really shocking)?

It's not odd at all. Target fulfills a need for everyday people/families who don't have as much or any disposable income to spend on luxury products or stores who inflate their prices to pay for their high upkeep costs. That Target will be used by all of the rich people buying condos/renting apartments in the Fenway in addition to the tens of thousands of college students in the area and everyday residents who are currently taking the bus and Uber'ing to South Bay Center to go to Target. This is the greatest thing to happen to the Fenway in a while.

It will also be great exposure for the Fenway neighborhood and the new restaurants popping up there. A lot of people, myself included, thought that the only thing going on in Fenway was the ballpark and Landsdowne street. This City Target will attract carless people from Allston, Brighton, Brookline, Fenway, Back Bay and Mission Hill who might not take a step into Fenway otherwise.

Will the City Target have parking? If yes, what will it cost?

I don't think anyone is arguing that it won't be great to have Target here and that it's not an upscale shopping destiny. I think jass and I were commenting on our surprise that Target interiors we've seen often--unnecessarily--look so basic given their location. Doesn't have to look like Bloomingdales, but might is it so hard to aim at a Best Buy or Marshalls-level cleanliness, lighting, upkeep (and maybe it will, but the Chicago store is really shocking)?

Form follows function. ;-)

Fancy stores would simply inflate costs all around.

They dug a HUUUGE tub for this building, so I wouldn't be surprised if at least one level were reserved for retail. There's also an a liberal amount of parking at Landmark, 1330, and Trilogy to satisfy anyone particularly set on driving to this walkable, transit-accessible area.

Form follows function. ;-)

Fancy stores would simply inflate costs all around.

No, not at all.

No one is saying it needs to be fancy. We're saying it would be nice if it didn't look like shit.

I think the Best Buy example is a good one. Theyre no Nordstrom, but at least it looks well kept.

It doesnt add to your operating costs to not have a shit brown carpet. It doesnt really affect the bottom line if they played around with the lighting, or used a floor type that doesnt scratch up on day 1.

There is a 3-level underground parking garage at the Van Ness (Boylston West) for up to 550 cars. I imagine the parking will be market rate/same pricing as Trilogy, with validation for Target shoppers up to a couple hours.

Looks like the first retail tenant outside of Target has been announced:

http://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.com/2015/06/craft-beer-cellar-to-open-in-bostons.html

A local group of specialty beer stores is expanding once again, and this time it will be opening a shop in one of Boston's busiest areas.

According to their social media pages, Craft Beer Cellar is planning to open in the city's Fenway neighborhood, with the store being located on Van Ness Street near where it meets Kilmarnock Street (just east of Brookline Street and across from the outdoor seating area for the Yard House). Based on a blueprint posted onto Facebook, it looks like the shop will have approximately 1,600 square feet of space, with construction being "well underway" as of a few weeks ago. If all goes as planned, the new Craft Beer Cellar is hoping to be open around Labor Day.

This is a great addition to the neighborhood. The Shaw's and Bradley Liquors have a decent beer selection but nothing close to what this shop will bring.

This is a great GREAT local chain. Good move on their part.

2kKf9Bf.jpg

Every time I come to Boston I stop at the Belmont store. Fantastic beer selection.

Every time I come to Boston I stop at the Belmont store. Fantastic beer selection.

Agreed, great store.

Target is also applying for a license to sell liquor as well.

I just noticed today that the new street next to the building (Richard B. Ross way) now has a traffic light at Boylston. Its presence makes the block feel pretty different already. It'll be great when the retail along Boylston fills in too.

Back