BU Development Thread

Get a PhD, not a Master's. It's almost always fully funded. And anywhere that offers you a non-fully funded program is offering you a bum deal.

^ True that, but isn't kennedy doing Arch? I was always under the vague impression that architecture school is like the other professional schools...in other words, you pay the big bucks.

Graduate School will definitely be architecture. Due to some, recent developments, it's a lot less likely for undergrad. Problem is, I'll need the Master's to get licensed, and I'm almost positive that I'll need the Master's (big $) before doing a Doctorate of Design (D.Des) degree, which is something I might consider later on. Thanks for the advice though.

I took a stroll through BU last night taking advantage of the "good" weather, and ducked into the Law Tower -- what a brilliant, sculptural masterpiece. It's as inspired inside, as out. I do hope that any future renovations and upgrades to the Law School are sensitive to the architectural significance of this building.

Didn't happen to take any pictures, did you?

Only with my camera phone, which did not come out well. I'd recommend going in and taking the elevator up to the 17th floor for some of the best views of Boston.

Only with my camera phone, which did not come out well. I'd recommend going in and taking the elevator up to the 17th floor for some of the best views of Boston.

I have pictures from the roof!

^Do u have to be a student or have bussiness there to gain access to the 17th floor?

ditto! thanks. you'll probally get there 1st kz1000ps as its ur hood lol! I look forward to the pixs! jass can u post urs?

Taken 24/4/09 from the roof....note that the roof was opened for pictures that day, it's usually restricted

(if you think I need a better camera, I will pm you my paypal name and you can turn your talk into help)

IMG_8747-1.jpg

IMG_8744.jpg

IMG_8738.jpg

IMG_8737.jpg

IMG_8735.jpg

IMG_8730.jpg

IMG_8728.jpg

IMG_8726.jpg

IMG_8725.jpg

IMG_8718.jpg

IMG_8717-1.jpg

those are pretty cool veiws! That one shot shows almost all of the new development in the Fenway/Northeastern area.

^ Good point. Maybe the only instance of a newly-densified area that we can be remotely proud of.

IMG_8730.jpg

Jass, why was the roof open that day? Does it happen often?

Amazing that almost every tall building in that vista went up in the last decade. There's plenty of growth here in the long term sense of the word.

FYI: I was in this building for a test on Saturday morning, and the roof door was locked and covered in warning signs. Was this only temporary? Is it open on weekdays? The view from the windows on the 17th floor was good, too, but dirty and limited.

These are a bit anticlimatic by now, but oh well... here's today's shots from the 17th floor:

4420985675_16f454b525_b.jpg

4421753390_b95b5acab0_b.jpg

4421755256_fccd7de203_b.jpg

4421756058_8be22d8c20_b.jpg

4421760394_de8cc1630b_b.jpg

4421761386_b97ddbbff1_b.jpg

4420995779_f43f351f33_b.jpg

4420988013_6f80e6b1ca_b.jpg

4421756988_8aaeed2c08_b.jpg

Re: your last shot

I've often wondered if BU has plans to build on the parking lot behind CAS, adjacent to the School of Social Work (and perhaps demolish that building which is nothing exceptional). They have a grand opportunity there to build a great academic building (perhaps a location for the new Law School?) that could be a nice bookend to the small park in the forefront (the BU Beach).

Just my 2 cents on the pirvate school issue from a few posts back.

Regarding college, I was thinking about going into architecture, but went into stage design instead (tons of reasons including being able to design things that do not have to function as specific things, and the sheer number of designs i can do in the same ammount of time between theater and buildings). The choice to go to a state school saved me so much. The price was for all 4 years less than one year at some of the private schools, and i would be absolutly no where further allong (infact i might be farther benind) in my career than if i went to a private school. Becasue of all this and my willingness to work hard, i hav eno student loans and becasue of the many chances i got to design in college i got a pretty damn good job.

Back