BU Development Thread

Some of the new tower's massing inspiration comes from Sert's BU Law School or Peabody Terrace.

On the fantasy Blue Line extension, the station would be Nickerson Field, two stops to Harvard Square. ;)

ablarc said:
On the fantasy Blue Line extension, the station would be Nickerson Field, two stops to Harvard Square.

Ablarc --

With due respect to your vision (which would have served me well a few years ago when I worked on Larry Sommers' "education plantation"), my fantasy Blue Line has:

> Water-tight trains with working doors, air-conditioning, lighting, and new technologies like luggage racks;
> Clean, well-maintained stations with safe, level platforms, proper lighting, and working PA systems;
> Well-trained, accountable employees.

I'll likely ride to work with a jetpack before I see any of these...

ablarc said:
Beton Brut said:
ablarc said:
a few years ago when I worked on Larry Sommers' "education plantation"
Tell more.

Not much to tell (I'll try to answer your question AND stay on-topic)...

I worked as a publications designer at a former women's college (Nee Radcliffe) that was absorbed in 1999 by the University...Working at Harvard was a really transformative experience for a number of reasons (Lunch? Let's go to the Fogg!), but the tone changed when Neil Rudenstine left and Sommers took over...Indeed, Dr. Drew Faust, Harvard's freshly appointed President, came to Harvard as the "Inaugural" Dean of the newly-branded Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study -- within two years, the adult ed. unit where I designed course catalogs and other marketing collateral was rolled up like a dorm-room carpet on moving-out day, along with the entire IT department, and about a dozen folks in Development...To my knowledge, no one was offered placement elsewhere, and the Union of Clerical & Technical Workers cost me $13 / month and offered zero value in the way of opportunities to remain at Harvard...

Concurrently, the Square, one of America's best urban spaces, was already coming unraveled, with the Wursthaus replaced by an Abercrombie & Fitch, and rising rents in University-owned buildings squeezing out small businesses...Bye-bye Bow & Arrow...Happy trails, Second Coming Records...So long, Wordsworth...Now the Greenhouse is gone...It's a miracle that places like Bartley's, Charlie's, Grendal's, and Darwin's have survived...Someplace is becoming anyplace...

Beton Brut said:
the tone changed when Neil Rudenstine left and Sommers took over
Colorful Lawrence. I thought you might have been involved in planning the Allston campus, a ridiculus mus.

Beton Brut said:
Concurrently, the Square, one of America's best urban spaces, was already coming unraveled, with the Wursthaus replaced by an Abercrombie & Fitch
...a tragedy of epic proportions, together with the Tasty's demise. Do you remember Elsie's?

Beton Brut said:
...It's a miracle that places like Bartley's, Charlie's, Grendal's, and Darwin's have survived...Someplace is becoming anyplace...
and now there's no Iruna, they say...

Beton Brut said:
ablarc said:
Beton Brut said:
ablarc said:
a few years ago when I worked on Larry Sommers' "education plantation"
Tell more.
...already coming unraveled, with the Wursthaus replaced by an Abercrombie & Fitch, and rising rents in University-owned buildings squeezing out small businesses...Bye-bye Bow & Arrow...Happy trails, Second Coming Records...So long, Wordsworth...Now the Greenhouse is gone...It's a miracle that places like Bartley's, Charlie's, Grendal's, and Darwin's have survived...Someplace is becoming anyplace...

there used to be 11 used bookstores in the square and i can only think of 2 today (though i may be off by one or two-- don't go there much anymore).

why someone at HU doesn't see that and the losses you are talking about as an issue, i have no idea. (and why that butt ugly car-park hotel between KSG and the Brattle seems to be sacrosanct...)

The new tower dwarfs Student Village I. THe only question now is when Phase III will begin.

bosdevelopment said:
The new tower dwarfs Student Village I. THe only question now is when Phase III will begin.

What is phase 3?

jass said:
bosdevelopment said:

What is phase 3?
Two more housing towers that will go inbetween phases I and II. They'll be shorter though, the size of student village I.

Here's s very early crude rendering. I believe the one going up now is substantially larger than the one in this graphic.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper87/stills/71k8j659.jpg

Notice the wide gap inbetween I and II

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper87/stills/71k8j659.jpg

Interesting. That 3rd one better have a dining hall. The west campus dining hall is already over capacity, and the new tower will have rooms that dont contain kitchens.

River-view dining would be nice. A wall of glass.

Taken today, May 10.

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

bosman said:
Thanks for the pics. Good to see them starting on the project.

Cool website (coolest name ever.) I believe it's indexed as well. You should put a link to archboston on there. After all, archboston is where the ballers come to play.

I think people are going to be surprised at how tall this will look when it's done. It's a testament to what is possible when your only neighbor is the Mass Pike.

Of course, the Y development would be even bigger.

Thanks bosdevelopment, I had you in mind when I made the site. I haven't finished the infrastructure yet, and a links section is in my plans.

I do also agree with you when you say that the tower will look taller than it really is. If I am thinking about this right, there really isn't anything else that tall in the area immediately surrounding it.

Back