BU Development Thread

Re: New BU Tower

I am a graduate of both Northeastern (undergrad) and BU (grad).

To try and get this discussion back on track, while I much prefer Northeastern overall, I have to admit the the new BU dorm tower looks infinitely better than the new Northeastern dorm tower. I think NU should sue the architect and builder!!!

I am a graduate of both Northeastern (undergrad) and BU (grad).

To try and get this discussion back on track, while I much prefer Northeastern overall, I have to admit the the new BU dorm tower looks infinitely better than the new Northeastern dorm tower. I think NU should sue the architect and builder!!!

All of the BU developments of the last few years have been pretty good. But let's not forget West Campus, the Towers (soaring at 9 stories), and Warren Towers (can't believe I lived in there for 2 years). When you take the older BU buildings into account, NU's buildings don't seem so bad :)

Yes, goddamn those ugly old BU buildings.

bu01.jpg

BU.jpg

Honestly, the asymmetry of those two buildings bug the hell out of me.

Why didn't they make them match?

To drive Northeastern students batshit insane, clearly.

Or maybe they just liked Chartres.

chartre1.jpg

I actually love the law building. It's known as the "tower of darkness" or the "tower of doom" in law school circles. Very appropriate. A fine example of vertical brutalism, too.

Face it - Boston's brutalism collection is as good as its group of South End/Back Bay Victorian rowhouses. We should quit fighting that aesthetic legacy, embrace it as an integral part of Boston's heritage, and market it. Brutally.

To drive Northeastern students batshit insane, clearly.

Or maybe they just liked Chartres.

chartre1.jpg

Wasn't this due to a collapse of one of the spires, or insufficient funds?

Today, March 22, as seen from the 57

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

^ Drive by shooting at its finest, haha.

3/12

img2335he4.jpg

3/15

img2435zb9.jpg

img2463vo9.jpg

Oh there?s plenty worse than BU architecture in Boston. Should we expect better from BU? Yes, of course. The biggest problem BU has faced over the years is centrality; in recent years the school has made pretty decent improvements in defining the uses of West Campus as an athletic hub and BU Central as the student union and academic area. With the updates to Commonwealth, a link between Central and West will help aesthetically to bring the campus together.

A closeup look, March 26

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

My thoughts: I really like it. The glass and metal really add to the precast. The ground level doesnt look good now, and probably wont look better, but the street is empty 95% of the time. Honestly, it would be better as a ped street + police car access (the BU station is there) than a street.

As pre-cast goes this has to be one of the most attractive. Even 45 Province isn't looking this good, and lord knows WTF happened to the new Northeastern dorm.

The precast color on the squat side looks better.. surprisingly.

I don't think 45 Province is precast, it's terra cotta, which is different (and looks 1000x better, imo).

If anything, this thread is fueling my hate for the student center [EDIT: Arena] next door. It's just so hideous.

Last edited:

Back