Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

I'm not sure that right. If you look at the PNF that retail alley lines up with the center of the block, which is where Canal Street is. And given that the Hub on Causeway is lining up with Canal and the North Station Area Mobility Access Plan has been looking at pedestrianization of Canal it would make sense for HYM to make the connection on the other end.
sorry, I dont know how to post pics.
here is the link to the master plan layout:
https://bulfinchcrossing.com/_content/overview/master_plan.jpg
the retail plaza lines up with Canal St. It then splits around the 'iconic retail' building towards the Greenway or Congress St.

^ Very cool that the plaza lines up w/ canal street and will make a nice gateway. Interestingly, the Hub on Causeway grand entrance will also line up (I believe) with Canal St. This will make for a totally-reimagined pedestrian experience along that stretch. I recall other threads that have discussed re-doing Canal itself to be pedestrian-focused, with new trees, etc.....very very excited for all of this.

^ Very cool that the plaza lines up w/ canal street and will make a nice gateway. Interestingly, the Hub on Causeway grand entrance will also line up (I believe) with Canal St. This will make for a totally-reimagined pedestrian experience along that stretch. I recall other threads that have discussed re-doing Canal itself to be pedestrian-focused, with new trees, etc.....very very excited for all of this.

Maybe there is actually some urban planning going on at BPDA after all.

This picture from the project website shows the view from canal looking towards that plaza . It even has a curb in the foreground of the picture, perhaps thinking of the pedestrianization of canal street?

view_fromcanalstreet_eastparcel_image.jpg

Maybe there is actually some urban planning going on at BPDA after all.

This picture from the project website shows the view from canal looking towards that plaza . It even has a curb in the foreground of the picture, perhaps thinking of the pedestrianization of canal street?

view_fromcanalstreet_eastparcel_image.jpg

Yes. Yes. And Yes. Very exciting planning is going on for this area, and it isn't a coincidence.

Last summer when the BPDA launched the North Station Area Mobility Action Plan their consulting partner shared a wiki-map where anyone could comment for area improvements. I commented the following:
Canal Street should be pedestrian only as it A) offers little in the way of a vehicular through-way alternative, and B) could present a pivotal link between the redevelopments of Hub on Causeway at TD Garden/North Station and the Gov't Center Garage plaza by Haymarket Station.

This comment relates to:
Neighborhood Environment
Traffic Safety Issue
Idea/Vision
Wayfinding
Congestion

After whittling down 100's of ideas to ~40, my pedestrianization idea made a short list (because 'duh'). With some light, positive nudging at a couple community meetings, the idea gained community buy-in with the provision that there be limited shared use for commercial vehicles to businesses on the stretch.

The BPDA has since identified pedestrianization of Canal Street as a short-term AND a long-term goal. Understanding that the pedestrian-use of Canal already far exceeds any other vehicle use, they've already begun the charrette process for how to program Canal in the coming years. Everything from fountains, basketball courts, urban paseos, sand volleyball, and (my personal suggestion) an evolving street museum for Boston sports/basketball have been put on the table. A developer from Bulfinch Crossing was on hand to give his blessing to all of these ideas--they know what's good for Canal Street is good for their development, and visa versa.

I personally think this is one of the finest examples of BPDA facilitating community planning on a globally-competitive level, and applaud them for it.

The original developers deserve the credit for aligning their retail with Canal St. That has been in the site plans since at least 2008.

That rendering isnt showing a curbed off Canal. That is the existing curb of the median on New Chardon St.

Canal St is already a great street with the trees and restaurants. Its going to get even better with the 2 new developments anchoring each end and will be the main pedestrian route through the area.

dshoost,

Thank you for proposing such a thoughtful design comment to the BPDA!

Dont forget canal turns and ends at the public market/blackstone market. Its all starting to make sense.

Holy Shyte dshoost!!

will that include the span of Canal from Valenti to Market Street?

the garage cut down at the Haymarket end + so well camouflaged (inside the main towers) is totally insane.

Last edited:
Looks great - a step in the very right direction to knit together several parts of the city that were sundered by urban renewal - bf triangle, govt ctr, north end & waterfront. They just need to keep those plazas loaded with retail.

Canal st wasn't the street being talked about needing more retail or trees....thank god. Haverhill st was the street and it is a barren wasteland for the most part. Yes the garages etc have to go somewhere its not a prob just throw some trees on the sidewalk and call it a day.

That being said canal is great and its going to go from the TD garden grand entrance all the way to the Blackstone market. Now that this has been brought up it all makes perfect sense. If you had to pick THE street to do this on canal is that street. Tons of retail, mature trees that hang over the street, beautiful ground floor retail architecture. Right now it ends at new Chardon st at the garage so extending this through this area is genius. It goes through and then splits and if you go left your right at the public market and then cross one street and your at the new Blackstone market. The bottom pic shows this split in the ped row.

This is going to be a pedestrian paradise and the city is going to be so much better because of it. This is going from removing an ugly garage to creating a much better Boston for everybody. I cant wait for this this is what everybody wants to see happen for the city. All that being said I just came across some gifts. Enjoy.

First: Canal st today

canalstreet_1.jpg

Now for the main event.

view+05_FINAL.jpg

View+04_final.jpg

View+02_final.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my god. Those are beautiful. I like that tower the more I look at it!.

Shes a looker thats for sure. Boston is going to be recognized after this development boom. Before this boom started we were a nice and small charming city with extremely boring 1970s box architecture. After this is all said and done were going to actually have many examples of great towers to choose from. Were already a waterfront city with a waterfront skyline it was just boring. Those days are gone.

I found a mucher wider shot of a render I posted a couple days ago. The other shot was cutoff at the fed and longfellow towers.

overview_bulfinchcrossing_skyline_dusk_image.jpg

Amazing photos. By far the best development in boston right now

Back