Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Hmm. Is their any actual chance that the tower will be converted into a hotel, or is this just a fantasy?

Hmm. Is their any actual chance that the tower will be converted into a hotel, or is this just a fantasy?

Not really at this point. I had suggested it as an off-comment, though if they continue to have trouble finding a major office tenant, then I could see it possibly coming into play.

It also wouldn't have to be 100% hotel or 100% office. It could be split up between the two uses with separate lobbies and separate elevator banks.

Yeah the issue with fat floorplates not being good for hotel or residential is when they're fat in both dimensions. This one is only really fat in one direction, so I think they could make it work just fine.

That said, I'd love to see it remain an office for other reasons...in that I'd love to see another major company move into Boston

According to Colliers there are plenty of companies looking so there is a good chance it'll stay as office space and actually get built...

>>We have never tracked more tenants in the market than the 250 that are actively looking for space; in aggregate, they’re seeking over five million SF. These firms span the spectrum of industries, but financial services, law firms, insurance, and tech are well represented. Although the average requirement is less than 25,000 SF, some of the larger requirements include

http://www.colliers.com/-/media/fil...ts/boston/research/2017/2017_q1_viewpoint.pdf

According to Colliers there are plenty of companies looking so there is a good chance it'll stay as office space and actually get built...

>>We have never tracked more tenants in the market than the 250 that are actively looking for space; in aggregate, they’re seeking over five million SF. These firms span the spectrum of industries, but financial services, law firms, insurance, and tech are well represented. Although the average requirement is less than 25,000 SF, some of the larger requirements include

http://www.colliers.com/-/media/fil...ts/boston/research/2017/2017_q1_viewpoint.pdf

If the floorplates could fit a hotel use as data suggests then it's only an issue of tenant organization. The massing wouldn't have to change.

Further justification for making the tower mixed-use is that companies on the hunt for office space recently want wide, open-plan floorplates on lower floors. Despite the views, companies just don't want to be at the top of towers anymore. You could make 12-22 office (pending demand, maybe more) and 22-44 hotel.

Not really at this point. I had suggested it as an off-comment, though if they continue to have trouble finding a major office tenant, then I could see it possibly coming into play.

Too bad. 1 Dalton will have a hotel, right?

The current phasing for this project goes Residential tower >> Knock down eastern side of garage >> Office tower >> Eastern side of development >> Smaller western residential tower.

So, if no anchor tenant can be found for the office building, does HYM change its schedule or does everything just grind to a halt?

The current phasing for this project goes Residential tower >> Knock down eastern side of garage >> Office tower >> Eastern side of development >> Smaller western residential tower.

So, if no anchor tenant can be found for the office building, does HYM change its schedule or does everything just grind to a halt?

I believe they've said they can push ahead with the piece across Congress Street- the eastern side of the development - at any time, regardless of if/when they build the office tower.
Also I think they have to demolish the garage above Congress in order to get an occupancy (or maybe building) permit for the office tower, per agreement with the city.

But without the office tower and second residential tower, it could wind up looking a bit disjointed.

Great pic. The one, admittedly nitpicky drawback of this development is that the "retail alley" of Congress st. won't align with Canal st. when the garage is gone, but rather Friend st., which is less pedestrian friendly than Canal. Perhaps the Forecaster building and whatever goes on that triangular parcel in front of it will have ground floor retail on Friend St., but Canal is really a good pedestrian zone thats going to lead right to the middle of the new NorthStation development, and would've been nice to have one continuous retail corridor here. In fact I hope in the warmer months, particularly with the B's and C's both in the playoffs, they'll close off Canal St. to cars and make it pedestrian only, would make for a great atmosphere before games.

Great pic. The one, admittedly nitpicky drawback of this development is that the "retail alley" of Congress st. won't align with Canal st. when the garage is gone, but rather Friend st., which is less pedestrian friendly than Canal. Perhaps the Forecaster building and whatever goes on that triangular parcel in front of it will have ground floor retail on Friend St., but Canal is really a good pedestrian zone thats going to lead right to the middle of the new NorthStation development, and would've been nice to have one continuous retail corridor here. In fact I hope in the warmer months, particularly with the B's and C's both in the playoffs, they'll close off Canal St. to cars and make it pedestrian only, would make for a great atmosphere before games.

I'm not sure that right. If you look at the PNF that retail alley lines up with the center of the block, which is where Canal Street is. And given that the Hub on Causeway is lining up with Canal and the North Station Area Mobility Access Plan has been looking at pedestrianization of Canal it would make sense for HYM to make the connection on the other end.

Theres not many places Ive seen with as good a view as this tower will have. You can see way out into the ocean and the charles river looks like it comes under the tower from the other angle. The Custom house tower which is the nicest building in the city is in plain view, along with the north end, back bay...etc. Theres no tall buildings around to ruin the view either. Truly incredible right here I could see tenants from any city in the world jealous of this view this is truly something special.

From one angle you can watch big ships come into the harbor along with planes taking off and landing. The other is a more tranquil view with the brick of the back bay and small sailboats sailing the charles all day. Incredible.

C8zzNi7XcAEAu8i.jpg

components_one_congress_room_airport_image.jpg

Back