Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Wonder when we'll see the plans for the second resi tower. Rents are jumping up and the garage is coming down....

Are they currently tearing down all the garage levels sitting atop Congress St, or just the office floors on top of the garage proper?
Offically only the two floors of office during this phase. I'm just pointing out that there is something different going on I had not noticed before. Sorry I've caused any confusion.

Offically only the two floors of office during this phase. I'm just pointing out that there is something different going on I had not noticed before. Sorry I've caused any confusion.

Just prior to the pandemic (in Feb 2020), HYM said:

In December of 2020 we plan to begin deconstructing the section of the garage above the Haymarket bus terminal and T station, and the section that spans Congress Street.

In preparation for this work, the MBTA is assessing any potential impacts on service at the Haymarket bus terminal and T station. In the next 10 months, we will be working with the MBTA, the City of Boston and the community on a plan for temporary bus stops until work on the new Haymarket terminal is completed. We will also work with the MBTA to ensure there is sufficient notice, signage and time for the public to prepare for any temporary impacts on bus or train service, and to minimize any disruptions in service. We are not planning to shut down the Haymarket MBTA station, but construction elements may affect specific head house entrances or exits.

Obviously the pandemic changed many things and I haven't personally seen anything more recent, but it seems as if it's possible that it could be related to the span over Congress.

you will know the garage is about to start to come down when the bus station underneath is moved.
keep an eye out for signs going up that alert bus passengers to the impending changes...

EDIT - I thought this thread was Bullfinch Crossing so I apologize for putting it in here.

5.18.21 - It appears they are finally beginning work on the triangle parcel. It's had the 'new park coming' banner for almost 14 months now so it's good to see. This will be a sneaky nice addition as that area is incredibly bland and sterile.

05D70803-FE51-4CD9-938C-150D315C000E.jpeg
DB2F6FB5-A60F-44C2-A6FD-B905FACCA15A.jpeg
56D5487C-E2D4-4E98-9A89-10AB70008AC4.jpeg
DA093ABF-9182-4A2E-B3B4-8AA917C55E21.jpeg
547E0010-3748-41FD-B933-367BC534ED49.jpeg

Two bits of info relevant to recent discussion on this page:
  1. HYM will tear down the garage sooner than later. They won't be given an certificate of occupancy until they've torn down the garage. Source: A friend that's an executive at HYM.
  2. That work on the park is enabling work by DOT. The Greenway Conservancy is only allowed to build up to the backs of the sidewalks (or maybe they're only willing to take responsibility up the to backs of the sidewalks). So the DOT gave McCourt Construction a change order from another contract to bring utilities into the site and cap them. The park work has been awarded to NELM and should start in the next few weeks.

^^ Thanks for that info, and glad to see you still lurking around here.

1. HYM will tear down the garage sooner than later. They won't be given an certificate of occupancy until they've torn down the garage. Source: A friend that's an executive at HYM.

Yes, that stipulation (no COA till those garage sections are fully demolished) is officially written into the BDPA's approval. I happened upon that note when I foolishly and ineptly attempted to find an official height (including mech and fins) given for the office tower.

Two bits of info relevant to recent discussion on this page:
  2. That work on the park is enabling work by DOT. The Greenway Conservancy is only allowed to build up to the backs of the sidewalks (or maybe they're only willing to take responsibility up the to backs of the sidewalks). So the DOT gave McCourt Construction a change order from another contract to bring utilities into the site and cap them. The park work has been awarded to NELM and should start in the next few weeks.

Thanks. Didn’t get a picture today, but they’re clearly pulling down the top floor of the parking garage (actual parking floor, not the office levels which have been gone from that section of the garage for a while) over the southbound lanes now. I’ll try and grab one tomorrow.

Has anyone seen a render of the coming park? Agree with above comments, this may be a "sneaky" surprise. A welcome one.

Has anyone seen a render of the coming park? Agree with above comments, this may be a "sneaky" surprise. A welcome one.
There are some renders of the park somewhere back in the thread. It has a cool alignment with Canal Street and the Hub on Causeway atrium, which screams for a pedestrianized Canal Street.

Back