Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

They need to keep the design language of the previous design. This project was forged in the fire of over a decade of design alterations that had literal years to be critiqued, sat on, and iterated upon until it was finally right. You dont just crumple all of that up and plop this thing down from the sky one day and just move on… Not here. They need to get back to the drawing board and really deliver here. This building is out in front of the whole complex, one congress is beautiful but it takes a huge dent with a half assed mess out in front of it.

Yeah, the previous project was much shorter (177 vs 300 roughly if you include penthouse, which we should!)

I know it is hazardous, blah, blah, but I bet people would bid big bucks to get to sit in a crane with a big wrecking ball and pay per swing of the crane to take this hulking monster down - and we could have all the money go to Dana Farber or Mass General or something.

Can't believe I didn't see that elevator image:
1635341368961.png

That garage can not come down fast enough for my taste. I've always wondered how they got the permitting to stack Jersey barriers like that. (I know, I know). It must have taken some beton brut force to make that garage happen. Never full, ugly as hell, and not missed at all. Also worthy of note, that GCG was responsible for a handful of 'falling' deaths nobody wants to talk about.

Love to see it being treated like it treated my city for so many years.

It is slow. The old elevated Central Artery was demolished a lot faster. Just as some people are too mean to die, this SOB garage is apparently too ugly to just go quickly.

Agreed. Every time I look at it, I channel my inner Patsy Stone [to her annoying mother on her deathbed] and shout in my head: "Just die already!"

View attachment 20029

I can only assume this is garage demolition related
Thank you for this!
I hope there aren't many closings. Based on the glacial disassembly pace of That Damned Hideous Garage, I expect more of these. However, if they plan to implode the rest and they want to clear the trains -- y'know -- just in case, I don't mind. Just let me get a drink and my camera first!

Thank you for this!
I hope there aren't many closings. Based on the glacial disassembly pace of That Damned Hideous Garage, I expect more of these. However, if they plan to implode the rest and they want to clear the trains -- y'know -- just in case, I don't mind. Just let me get a drink and my camera first!

I went to a public meeting on this project and the developer (so take it with a grain of salt) said that they had been trying to get the T to shut down the line so they could speed up the demo all of last year but that the T refused. There were a lot of North End residents who were really frustrated with the night time demo--which I am so sympathetic with. Someone who lived through the big dig from the West End had suggestions for how to impact the state process. So maybe the neighbors got to the T. It was a fascinating meeting because of the interaction of the neighbors.

I didnt for 2 reasons. 1, I was on my phone.
2, Im not going to argue with somebody and try to explain they didnt hear what they think they heard.
or,
its possible, but highly unlikely, somebody from the development team did actually say this. and in that case, then they were inaccurate.

deconstruction of the garage duration is taking as long as was anticipated/expected (even though it is occurring later than hoped). short term closures of the T will continue and then eventually roadway closure will need to happen as well.

Last edited:
Are any of the components of the garage re-usable after it's demolished? Can the concrete be re-used or any of the steel be re-used or re-purposed?

Back