Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

51857325608_a0f6b1ae53_b.jpg

There's a lot of hate of the revised proposal and perhaps justified but the streetscape will be so much better when the garage is leveled. Maybe, just maybe, the actual building will be far better than the rendering.

For me, it all comes down to what they place on the street level. If there is a restaurant or café with outside tables that activates the connection between the Bulfinch area and the Market District, then it might turn out OK. I think the MBTA bus drop-off next to the Greenway parks isn't going to be very appealing.

What once looked like a work of modern art, it now looks like a disgusting pile of junk!! :eek:
I remember reading when they first built the GC garage that it's mass was intended to draw attention away from the old elevated Central Artery. The reasoning was that the massive GC Garage was deliberately placed perpendicular to the elevated highway, somewhat overpowering it visually, so that the elevated highway wouldn't loom so prominently over the area. However, once the elevated Central Artery was demolished, the GC Garage stuck out like a sore thumb.

I used to admire that building when it looked like it had office space on the top floor. :)

I used to admire that building when it looked like it had office space on the top floor. :)
It wasn't a bad looking building; it was just out of place where it was located. It would have been fine at some other locations, especially out in a suburb.

it looks more like the antiquated structure of the old Sullivan Football stadium

Those office floors weren't original. They were added in the early 90s. I remember seeing them under construction, I always thought they added a more "completed" look to it. That said, if there was one building I wanted to see gone anywhere, it would probably be this.

Are development milestone often reported by quarter because the information comes from financial reports or because developers want to give themselves a three-month margin of error?

Anyone mind a 50 year old remembrance? The GC garage was very inexpensive back when it opened, and conveniently located off of a Central Artery exit ramp. Parking for the whole day cost something like $2.50 in the 70's (correct me if I'm wrong). One morning I went into the city for fun and parked my Pinto on the top level. I went about my business. Wanting to savor the view, I ascended the Custom House to the observation deck, (it was still a Federal building totally open to the public). Suddenly I panicked! Did I turn off my headlights after going up the dark garage ramps? (no beeps and bells back then to warn you!). With my fingers I made a pinhole and squinted from the Custom House. There was my Pinto with shining headlights facing my direction! Hoping my battery was not drained, I quickly left my perch and almost ran to the garage. I got to my car in time....and then enjoyed the rest of my day in peace, grateful for the Custom House, and my canny resourcefulness.

Last edited:
Ah, the pain of too many edits! Thanks....the car actually had less power than a bottle of Pinot Noir!
Someone with the pocket cash should take an old Pinto body and wrap some Tesla guts and call it the Pinot. I’d definitely watch that rebuild on YouTube!

Also, one cannot discount the stellar views from the 8th floor far NE side, though after 9/11, the GCP rent a cops would roll up and question why you were there. Seriously. Even with the “I’m checking out the view” answer they would tell you to get lost.
The only good part of the GCG was the view because you didn’t have to look at the GCG. And the Paul Blarts screwed that up.

Back