Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

GCThought.jpg

A wrecking ball would be faster than the current process of dismantling it piece by piece.

Usually I have positive opinions about Brutalist architecture, but damn, this was one blight of a parking garage. So glad to see that heap being demolished!

Did they do anything major this past weekend to necessitate the T closure? Could be more closures to come?

A wrecking ball would be faster than the current process of dismantling it piece by piece.
It would also be more unpredictable, dangerous, and disruptive. If this garage wasn't hanging over a bus station, an interstate, Congress Street, an underground transit station, and two attached skyscrapers, I agree a wrecking ball or controlled demolition would be more sensible. Frankly, I'm grateful they're taking their sweet time tearing this apart.

Wrecking balls are really fucking slow with reinforced concrete, they work great with masonry construction. I watched a wrecking ball take down the old St. Vincent's in Worcester fifteen years or so ago and it was a several months long process.

Also you don't want chunk of concrete falling onto the ground and potentially puncturing in structures below ground.

Wrecking balls are really fucking slow with reinforced concrete, they work great with masonry construction. I watched a wrecking ball take down the old St. Vincent's in Worcester fifteen years or so ago and it was a several months long process.

Also you don't want chunk of concrete falling onto the ground and potentially puncturing in structures below ground.
I agree. It was just wishful thinking on my part to speed it up.

The process is to actually take each precast concrete piece down, then break it apart and smash it to pieces on the ground, then haul it away

Oh please God, make them accidently destroy that rusty piece of "sculpture" fenced off to keep away skateboarders and graffiti artists....please.

Back