Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress Street Garage Development | West End

Great Project.

It's a shame that the old city hall building & plaza wont be developed in my life time and im only 32! LOL.

Re-establish Hanover Street through the plaza, tear down the low rise portion of the JFK and build on both sides. It'll be like Scollay Square on steroids!

Can someone tell me what iconic retail means?

They sell golden calves, St. Joseph statues, that sort of thing.

Can someone tell me what iconic retail means?

A flagship store for a major company, presumably.

Edit: Probably not large enough for Nordstrom.

A flagship store for a major company, presumably.

Edit: Probably not large enough for Nordstrom.

For some reason I remember the early renders showing a Virgin Megastore...

Iconic retail is somebody that builds gem-like standalone stores. I'd say anything from Crate & Barrel to Neiman Marcus might qualify (but would they want to?).

There are ever-fewer given the demise of A&F and Virgin Megastores, the pickings are getting slimmer and slimmer. How about a Habitat (the re-incarnation of Conran's)

I think finding a iconic retailer in this market might be challenging. Since companies like Walmart, Sears, Macy's Chipolte, are closing stores not see since 2008.

Boston has reached her puberty. She's gettin' her curves!

Not the same subject but it is next door, JFK building should be considered for recladding. The low-rise segment needs to go.

Re-establish Hanover Street through the plaza, tear down the low rise portion of the JFK and build on both sides. It'll be like Scollay Square on steroids!

Isn't the portion of City Hall Plaza where Hanover Street would run is also the part with the weight restriction?

I think finding a iconic retailer in this market might be challenging. Since companies like Walmart, Sears, Macy's Chipolte, are closing stores not see since 2008.

Riff -- you are using a shotgun again

When you see headlines about closings of stores -- such as Yesterday about Walmart it generally doesn't apply to Greater Boston -- the closest Walmart-related stores were Sams Clubs in RI or near to the RI border

Not that we are immune to such occurrences -- just that at the present time our growing economy and generally well $$ed population supports growing retail and restaurant activity not a reduction

Also Walmart and Sears aren't exactly companies that build or occupy "iconic" retail buildings. Macy's might at times but they are not closing stores in Boston and similar retailers would be interested in getting a location in Boston. The Macy's in Boston does amazingly well.

I would expect the developer to try and get something more upscale than anything you mentioned though. Nordstrom or Bloomingdales which are also more likely to have an interest in more extravagantly designed stores. Plus they would anchor that whole area very well as a major draw to get people into the other stores better than something at the level of a Macy's would.

Chipotle doesn't even apply that is a whole separate type of business and is closing locations for different reasons than the others.

I say there is still a problem siting a "destination" retail store here. Bostonians (and our international visitors) may be rich enough, and there may be enough retailers who do gem like stores, but retailers still prefer to cluster at places like the Pru/Boylston/Newberry or DTX.

I suppose you could call this just an extension of Quincy Market / Public Market but that retailer is going to have to be very brave/unique.

I think North Station has an equal chance with its mix of a supermarket (mundane) and Bruins/Celts (truly unique/touristy) to slot other complementary stuff

+1

I agree. I think the developer would like to see something more but I don't think they will get much interest from the stores I mentioned before. At least not yet maybe after a few years of the development being completed.

Riff -- you are using a shotgun again

When you see headlines about closings of stores -- such as Yesterday about Walmart it generally doesn't apply to Greater Boston -- the closest Walmart-related stores were Sams Clubs in RI or near to the RI border

Not that we are immune to such occurrences -- just that at the present time our growing economy and generally well $$ed population supports growing retail and restaurant activity not a reduction

I'm not sure what you have been watching:
#1 Oil has dropped from over $100 a barrel to $29
#2 China is in trouble there is no liquidity in there markets.

The retail industry is looking ugly. Iconic Retailers under the current market conditions are pulling back. They are cleaning up there balance sheets.
Until the majors start to get back to more manageable debt then I see the risk taking off the table unless our politicians continue to hand out GE type percs.
Risk is exceeding reward at this point unless 1 and 2 can straighten themselves before there is major meltdown in the markets

Also Walmart and Sears aren't exactly companies that build or occupy "iconic" retail buildings......

Not anymore, but the Sears Tower was the tallest building in the world for about 25 years, before wrongfully losing that title to Petronas.

That's true but I was looking at what they are building currently.

We are talking iconic store buildings, not HQ. The question of iconic stores should focus not on big box or general merchandisers like Costco, Walmart, Sears or Macy's, but focus on the health of specialty retailers with either unique "value" goods (like Wegmans, TRader Joes, Uniqlo, IKEA ) or brand/luxury goods (A&F, Niemans, Apple).

These specialty retailers can afford to be iconic as part of being special (and not directly competing with Walmart or Amazon). They exist and are doing well, but they still prefer malls and established retail districts or being close to residential demand. Haymarket is kinda awkwardly office-touristy.

Everyone if focused on the office tower rightfully so including myself, but the residential actually looks pretty good too. I read on Boston.com this will be the tallest rental tower in Boston. Im interested to see what goes in that notch on the back. A pool? Bar? Restaurant?

960580govtcenter011516.jpg

Back