Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress Street Garage Development | West End

I truly believe that the office tower will be the most beautiful building in Boston, maybe next to the Hancock.
I agree. The Pelli tower is so achingly beautiful that we'll wish it were taller--wish it were tall enough to clearly overtake International Place's role in the skyline.

I agree. The Pelli tower is so achingly beautiful that we'll wish it were taller--wish it were tall enough to clearly overtake International Place's role in the skyline.

(Some) folks living in Forecaster will have a helluva view...

A hundred feet taller or abit more would be great for the skyline of the city. Also, it is fairly close to the residential tower so added height would help with visual separation.

Has anyone realized that the argument that the garage is only half full most of the time so taking half the spaces wont matter makes no sense? If half of the garage is full now and they are removing half of it that means they essentially use 100% of what will be left of the garage. Then adding a residential and office tower will mean the public now can use probably 50% of the spaces they were using before. Either way I still want this tower built but them releasing that information makes no sense.

Last edited:

I expect that what you call the public, they call their customers. If its full they'll raise the price.

Has anyone realized that the argument that the garage is only half full most of the time so taking half the spaces wont matter makes no sense? If half of the garage is full now and they are removing half of it that means they essentially use 100% of what will be left of the garage. Then adding a residential and office tower will mean the public now can use probably 50% of the spaces they were using before. Either way I still want this tower built but them releasing that information makes no sense.

Stick -- remember that the previous owners built a long low office building [2 stories with about 280,000 sq ft space] on top of the garage -- that office building undoubtedly used up quite a few spaces -- it is going away in the rebuild

Talked to this police officer and he confirmed that the site prep is underway. This photo is of the active site on the N side of the garage and to the E of the garage entrance.

https://flic.kr/p/EinyoK

is this really happening?

Finally proof that is actually happening, over exited right now

Wonder who the anchor tenant going to be?
3 of the cities eyesore Garages that have to go in the city of Boston:
Congress Garage
Harbor Garage
Winthrop Garage

^I'd add the Hancock garage to that.

I saw somewhere that construction was supposed to commence in the spring. Do you guys think that includes demolition? I would think it is going to take a long time to take down that hulking concrete monster.

I would put the Garden Garage on that list, and it should be next to go from the way things looks. It not in as much of a prime location as the others but I think it's uglier than all of them except Winthrop Square.

I saw somewhere that construction was supposed to commence in the spring. Do you guys think that includes demolition? I would think it is going to take a long time to take down that hulking concrete monster.

Czervik -- I believe that the planed work starts with the:
  • residential tower
  • some general foundation work along with the new entrances to the part of the garage to be retained

Only when the residential tower is done will there be anything Peli-tower-specific beginning and then the demolition will begin on the part of the garage crossing Congress

Obviously the stuff on the Waterfront side of Congress is the last to be done -- circa 2020

The PDF on the BRA website on this project includes statements by the developer that the Pelli designed office building is going to look very nice illuminated at night. Wonder just what they have in store? Lit up on top? Or perhaps the curvilinear arc of the building could be lit all the way down? Dallas has a tower lit from top to bottom in green (B of A tower I think), but I don't think that would work in Boston. Perhaps a whitish shade may work. (?) Would a light strip make it look too garish and tacky? Something to ponder anyway, and I'm pondering! :)

^

SkylineImageWPB1ResANDWPB2Office-CroppedandZoomed.A.jpg

Back