Cambria Hotel | 6 West Broadway | South Boston

Re: Six West Broadway Hotel |South Boston

It's too bad they didn't make the building next to it, 14 West Broadway, the taller of the 2. This one looks terrible in comparison.

I haven’t been here (the site or this thread) in a while... and am much more disappointed than I thought I would be. This is intense, bulky, and plain. It’s a bad combination. And it looks extremely out of context for the neighborhood. Somewhere else, this might fit in and even look decent, but here it just looks terribly out of place.

This is really bad and will only get worse with age. Big ouch

I worry that crap like this will only turn the neighborhood against subsequent large projects.

Ground level and rooftop bar/restaurant could save it..

Sorry folks, I totally dig this. It's clean, symmetrical and doesn't fall victim to the compulsion to add random protrusions or dissonant materials.

Good! Opinion!!

As I already said above, I don’t think it’s *that* bad in absolute sense, but it has no business being where it is.... it would fit in over by Brighton Landing much better.

Personally, I find a reason to celebrate a "boring" building with symmetry, cohesion and texture after countless designs that tried very hard to insert randomness, while drawing from the same increasingly-dry creative well.

^ I'm 100% with you on being over the asymmetrical hooplah, but I also look at this and see "1964 chain hotel" which IMO is just as equally dried up of a creative well, assuming there was any creativity there to begin with.

StPaul68.jpg

I think we're in a time where, when pretty much any shape is possible via computers, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I think it's totally fine. Bout time we had some restraint. Could do with maybe one design flourish, but that's something signage and lighting could solve. Not really seeing anything to be mad about. If I had to try, I'd say the facade could use some more depth, but I always say that.

The Standard is place-making architecture. Our pale imitation is a bit like comparing The Monkees to The Beatles.

And to top it off, this property was supposed to be part of the Thompson hotel chain and now it looks as though it's going to be a 'Cambria' - the "upmarket" brand of Choice Hotels(Comfort Inn and Econo Lodge).

http://www.bldup.com/projects/6-west-broadway-street

^ I'm 100% with you on being over the asymmetrical hooplah, but I also look at this and see "1964 chain hotel" which IMO is just as equally dried up of a creative well, assuming there was any creativity there to begin with.

StPaul68.jpg

Love this, Jetsonian Atomic! 6 West will be a fine addition, simple and clean, and the concrete columns give it muscle and substance. Overall this corner has evolved quite nicely (the intersection though could use some taming to make it more pedestrian friendly).

Hot take: The Standard is only a building people talk about because it straddles the High Line and has some nice interiors. It is not that much of a marvel.

The Revere and Sheraton Towers need re-cladding badly.

This is better than ok. But a bit stern and drab.... slightly below the standard of my usual 'this will be fine.'

The damage 50's/60's/70's hotels did to America can not easily be measured.

Last edited:

Hot take: The Standard is ... not that much of a marvel.

It's a background building, dragged out to center stage. The design is amplified by its location. I really liked staying there, during the soft opening in 2009.

And I don't hate Six West -- it frustrates me that it isn't better.

Back