Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Re: NorthPoint Cambridge (The one that was train yards, the big plan.)

Many if not most city units have limited, unexceptional views. Those buying/renting here would surely be aware of the future buildout and not be taken by surprise.

@Brad: you assume! (/sarcasm)

At the recent HYM meeting in Northpoint I was astounded how many folks didn't know that Avalon could build on two more parcels west of Sierra/Tango (between the two buildings and the current elevated tracks). They were surprised, and got huffy (of course, HYM has nothing to do with Avalon so talk about misplaced anger). Who buys a unit without a clue about development (despite tons of clues over the years) when most of the land around it is FLAT?! It was precisely the reason I *didn't* buy on that side - and am much happier on the park side.

^ Sad and utterly not surprising.

Sad that ivy did their homework and picked the preferred side or sad tha so many others were dopes with no clue about future plans in the area?

Who wanted the spots facing parking lots and other bare lots? 'I want a permanent view of desolation and isolation to look at every day.'

@Brad: you assume! (/sarcasm)

At the recent HYM meeting in Northpoint I was astounded how many folks didn't know that Avalon could build on two more parcels west of Sierra/Tango (between the two buildings and the current elevated tracks). They were surprised, and got huffy (of course, HYM has nothing to do with Avalon so talk about misplaced anger). Who buys a unit without a clue about development (despite tons of clues over the years) when most of the land around it is FLAT?! It was precisely the reason I *didn't* buy on that side - and am much happier on the park side.

This is incredibly common. People constantly move to new exurban subdivisions and promptly freak out after a year or two when the farmer's fields and woods around their cul-de-sac are leveled and turned into more McMansions, with streets named after what was destroyed to build them.

People like to think development is just for them, and nobody else can follow in their footsteps.

It's one of the cornerstones of NIMBYism.

I got this notice about NorthPoint changes. They want to double retail footage including 50k for a grocery store.

MXm8o0y.jpg

I'd say all of those changes sound like changes for the better.

I got this notice about NorthPoint changes. They want to double retail footage including 50k for a grocery store.

Also less parking. Seems like good stuff.

The previously non-retail commercial was office? Do we know how much office is remaining?

Grocery store sounds perfect.

Having a grocery store in place on the NorthPoint district should help encourage other developers to move forward with their residential projects on the rest of NorthPoint.

Excellent News!

Having a grocery store in place on the NorthPoint district should help encourage other developers to move forward with their residential projects on the rest of NorthPoint.

Definitely. Here comes the neighborhood!

At our HYM meeting, the representative suggested the size range would be Trader Joe's to small Whole Foods. He lamented the fact the Whole didn't opt to join Northpoint, although they acknowledged, realistically, that there wouldn't have been enough draw from the area at that time.

I would like to see a TJ's.

Seems like a great location for a Trader Joes, something that can also serve Somerville & the North End

Trader joes would kill here. I like trader joes' but none are super convenient to where i am. I feel like a lot of people would also trek down the GLX to hit it up (when possible in 10 years)

^ Same here! Trekking over to Fresh Pond for my TJ from Union Square is a PITA. One in NorthPoint would be a boon!

Screw the GLX, loads of Somervillains will ride the raft of bus routes to Lechmere to shop at a TJs in NorthPoint.

Trader joes are no more than 20,000. 50k is standard grocery size.

Trader Joes are no more than 20,000. 50k is standard grocery size.

Indeed, most sources say that even 15,000 is on the large end for a TJ's, but the notice says they are offering a grocery store of "up to 50,000 sq ft", so they've left themselves the option of a grocery store of either TJ-size or a "conventional"-size but not one of the super-size stores (like the new Market Baskets running in the ~100k range)

Might be a good spot for one of Roche Bros or Star's new smaller urban concept stores. I guess it all depends on what the residential population down there is up to by the time they're signing leases. Although, for what it's worth, Roche opened up a new little outlet in small town Midfield that already has a giant Shaws in it, so maybe their business model is okay with a really small group of customers.

Indeed, most sources say that even 15,000 is on the large end for a TJ's, but the notice says they are offering a grocery store of "up to 50,000 sq ft", so they've left themselves the option of a grocery store of either TJ-size or a "conventional"-size but not one of the super-size stores (like the new Market Baskets running in the ~100k range)

IIRC, the Newton Wegman's is 70,000sf, and it feels pretty big, though it was by far the smallest location that chain had opened. I'm not the best judge of size, but 50,000 seems a little oddly placed between conventional and boutique groceries. Maybe a Sudbury Farms?

Regardless, more groceries is never bad. I'm cheering for one in the Crate and Barrel space on Mass. Ave. too.

Back