Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

I wonder if they were diseased?

The last time a tree got chopped down in Cambridge, there were angry protests (seriously).

Nothing on the school website about a new building.

If all the trees were maple, then that could be a sign of infestation. Draconian tree-chopping has occurred in Worcester because of that beetle from Asia.

Though I would think if the trees had been infested, it would have made the local news.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridg...-Asian-longhorned-beetle-spread#axzz1HEJhJNVt

Am I crazy for not liking the front facade, viewed head-on? My "it will look like crap in 40 years" sense is tingling...

I agree. It's ugly head-on. Those interiors are orgasmic though. God, that's European interior quality right there.

Thats the thing though, the problem is access, not the location. Alewife isnt a bad area, quick red line access to Harvard and beyond, and lots of buses out to arlington, lexington etc.

Thats an easy thing to fix.

1) Fix the route 2/16 "intersection". A 3rd grader could plot it out better.

2) Provide a road to the business park, which itself has a road up to lake street, not requiring access to route 2. As my picture shows, there IS a road...it's just closed. Idiotic.

3) Make the pedestrian bridge actually access the very large park across route 2.

And finally....

At that point, once it reaches Faces, route 2 is no longer a limited access highway. You enter/exit the parking lot directly into the lanes, the the speed limit is posted as 35. Remove the guardrails, remove the fencing, add a u-turn lane, and bam, you have an "urban" street instead of a highway. (it would be as urban as something like memorial drive).

You could even demolish the pedestrian overpass and add a crosswalk with a traffic signal.

The City of Cambridge put out a document around 2005(???) It looked at that area. One of the considerations of the city was how to prived access in that area (without creating a new cut-through for traffic trying to get away from Route 2/16 to Concord Avenue. There was one proposal for a road that would travel to the other side of the Fitchburg Line but somehow it would have keycard only access or something like that. With the electronic bar that raises to allow certain cars only to use the road. I'm going to try to find it. It had to do with the proposal to turn the Cambridge Storage building on Concord Avenue into over 200 condos and the effect it would have on traffic and parking. These roads have been rated F for traffic in the morning.

I agree. It's ugly head-on. Those interiors are orgasmic though. God, that's European interior quality right there.

Agree with everything you said. The sad thing is the dead-on view would be that much more dour if it weren't for the super-ultra-mega red signage (see it before here). But while the red on the outside is a bit much (though a bit necessary), inside it looks great being the foil to all the sexy blond wood. And right around the time I took the shot of the rows of book cases, 'Scandinavian' pooped into my mind.

I was skeptical of the shading system before this (doesn't look easy to maintain), but it really worked wonders when I was there. Makes me want to go back ASAP and see how it handles other lighting conditions.

Agree with everything you said. The sad thing is the dead-on view would be that much more dour if it weren't for the super-ultra-mega red signage (see it before here). But while the red on the outside is a bit much (though a bit necessary), inside it looks great being the foil to all the sexy blond wood. And right around the time I took the shot of the rows of book cases, 'Scandinavian' pooped into my mind.

I was skeptical of the shading system before this (doesn't look easy to maintain), but it really worked wonders when I was there. Makes me want to go back ASAP and see how it handles other lighting conditions.

Best typo ever. Quoted for integrity.

I really need to go check out the CPL though for myself. After seeing those pictures, I can hardly wait!

Hahahahahaha nice, now there's no point in me fixing it.

(p)oopsies!

MIT Newspaper : The Tech

Also I got this article from a link on universalhub in the coment section it had one posting saying the a bar was going in on broadway right next to the marriot in what had been used as office space.

http://tech.mit.edu/V131/N17/citystudy.html

Cambridge City Council yesterday selected Goody Clancy & Associates, a Boston architecture and planning firm, as consultants for the forthcoming study on the future of urban development in the area between Kendall and Central Squares. The study will define processes and implement changes that account for ?missed opportunities? between the squares and bring together the wide array of existing plans and zoning change proposals that are in progress in the area.

The Council voted 8-0 last night to approve the selection of Goody Clancy and to allocate $350,000 for the study from two sources: a $175,000 one-time increase in MIT?s Payment In Lieu Of Taxes (PILOT), and a $175,000 ?payment for ?Neighborhood Planning Studies? as project mitigation from Boston Properties.?

PILOT payments are paid by MIT to the city and negotiated on an annual basis. They are one of the ways that MIT compensates the city for the academic real estate that is exempt from Cambridge real-estate taxes; MIT is the largest taxpayer in Cambridge.

City Manager Robert W. Healy told the Council, ?there?s nothing nefarious here. I believe for MIT this is a vehicle by which they can process the payment to the city within the fiscal year when I need it.? Healy said that MIT?s payment is voluntary.

In an interview, David Dixon, head of Goody Clancy?s planning and urban design division, discussed Goody?s approach to the project. Dixon stressed the importance of housing in vitalizing the area. ?It won?t do us any good to say ?we need more retail in Central Square? unless we expand the market. The best way to expand the market is housing,? he said.

He noted that because 60 percent of area households are one- or two -person households, residents are more accommodating of ?edgy? locations, and are more interested in non-traditional housing situations like lofts ? large open-configured space that has been converted to housing.

Dixon said Goody Clancy?s team includes Michael J. Berne, a retail consultant who understands the interaction between retail and commercial spaces.

Dixon acknowledged the difficulty of doing this work within a $350,000 budget, but said that Cambridge has a lot of existing information and a ?very high-capacity planning department.? He anticipates a productive partnership with the city.

Goody Clancy has experience working in Cambridge, Dixon said, including a plan to improve 12 million square feet in East Cambridge about eight years ago. Goody Clancy has also just finished a master plan for post-Katrina New Orleans.

from Longwood thru glass
039-11.jpg
still no Idea why this roof was added
040-9.jpg

i walked by it the other day and i think they are redoing the HVAC systems to make the building more eco-friendly. the top is hiding the system i believe.

I guess the "slant" is in! today> hopfully they're restoring this sign not dismanteling!
001-7.jpg
foot bridge supports by the BU bridge
002-11.jpg
MIT>
007-20.jpg

do you mean at Magazine Street, over Memorial Drive? Yes it was removed so it can be replaced.

Theyre going to build a new one?

Isn't memorial 35mph? Build a damn crosswalk!

They did add a crosswalk and traffic light to temporarily replace the bridge. I actually don't know why they're putting in a new bridge. The old one got repeatedly battered by over-height vehicles.

Education First plots Cambridge HQ expansion, with 400 hires
Boston Business Journal - by Mary Moore
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 2:54pm EDT
Related: Commercial Real Estate, Education

Education First is looking to build a 300,000-square-foot facility on state-owned land in Cambridge, and add 400 jobs at the site, expanding its Cambridge North American headquarters, State House News Service reports.
The company, a privately held education services provider, already employs 650 in Cambridge, along with thousands of others in 50 countries. Its proposed new building in Cambridge, planned for a former Big Dig staging area across from the Museum of Science, would occupy a 55,000-square-foot parcel, and rise 150 feet.
Education First is asking the state legislature to pass a special law, including density and property purchase options, to facilitate the project, State House News reported. That request and the plan's details were made public Tuesday during a state senate committee hearing.
Education First would pay $9 million up front for a 99-year lease on the property, and commit to pay property taxes to Cambridge, State House News Service reported. The company eventually would like to purchase the land.
Education First is an international company founded by Bertil Hult that specializes in languages education and cultural exchange.
A spokeswoman for Education First could not be reached, Wednesday.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2011/05/25/education-first-to-expand.html

^ Ooooo i have been on a couple of their college break tours. great times.

their current building isn't far from this site... and it has a piece of the Berlin wall in front of it.

Back