Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

Great, now we're demolishing buildings for greenspace instead of just allocating too much of it. Welcome back to 1965!

As for all the rooftop parks, they're an abomination. Green roofs, sure, great. These parks, not so much. A way to keep employees chained into an office park-in-the-city "campus" while denying the rest of the area streetlife (and business!) on nice days' lunch hours. They'd work as a respite in a dense and busy location, but are absolutely unnecessary and counterproductive here.

Great, now we're demolishing buildings for greenspace instead of just allocating too much of it. Welcome back to 1965!

As for all the rooftop parks, they're an abomination. Green roofs, sure, great. These parks, not so much. A way to keep employees chained into an office park-in-the-city "campus" while denying the rest of the area streetlife (and business!) on nice days' lunch hours. They'd work as a respite in a dense and busy location, but are absolutely unnecessary and counterproductive here.

Cz -- Huh -- what's the difference between a park atop a parking garage surrounded by office buildings and a park atop a parking garage surrounded by office buildings

The first is in Cambridge Center and the garage is above ground
the latter is in Post Office Square in Boston and the garage is underground

both are not really destinations for anyone except the people who work in the surrounding office buildings

The former has a better view of the surroundings, the latter is better if you suffer from acraphobia

both are not really destinations for anyone except the people who work in the surrounding office buildings

The crucial difference is accessibility. True, most of the people who visit PO Square are workers from surrounding offices, but you don't have to be. Likewise, a trip to PO Square encourages patronage of businesses other than one's office cafeteria, and a general mingling that's conducive to lively streets that are to the benefit of everyone in the city. The better question is what the difference is between a self-contained urban campus with a rooftop park and a suburban office park, other than the different sort of commute it involves and the view. The former is nearly as bad for the vibrancy of surrounding streets as the latter.

^^^ A quick Kabuki dance. The only substantive concession was Boston Properties saying they would file plans for a 200,000 sq ft building with housing on Ames St.

Amazon meanwhile, bought a robotics company in North Reading.
http://bostonherald.com/business/technology/general/view.bg?articleid=1061118654&position=1

Where on Ames street? The only part of Ames street that has any substantial open space is on MIT's campus (and that would be between two dorms). I guess there's a little bit of room in front of the garage with the garden on top?

they tore down the old sprawling 60's? home on Mt Aburn st and looks like they're restoring an old house at the same time any info on this?
014-1.jpg

Yea Nifty -- but total BS
The building's wide-open rooms were divided by mobile cubicle partitions of wood, which made the large space flexible, but gave a feeling of solidity, Miner said.
"Suddenly if you're sitting in the middle of one of those you're only 25 feet away from seeing light and sun and rain and whatever the weather is otuside," said Alex Anmahian, principal at Anmahian Winton. "That idea had to do with human productivity – feeling bette, a sense of well-being."

Some of my most productive time in the past 20 years came in the mid 90's when the start-up we had just booted -- rented space from Cummings Properties in Woburn - our space was once an upper floor storage area behind a freight elevator and right alongside the indoor smoking space

But it was ours and we made it incredibly productive -- later with a bit more money in the same building we had views and openable windows plus much more space -- it was a much less productive period

I'm not saying definitively that being cooped-up like lab-rats makes you productive -- but I don't think in necessarily makes you un-productive

Actually come to think of it my most productive periods and the kinds of locations:

1) MIT in old Building 20
2) MIT in the basement of the old Magnet Lab
3) University of Texas -- basement lab under the courtyard in front of the Physics Math and Astronomy bldg
4) Lincoln Lab -- in a windowless area -- could be referred to as a bunker
5) Woburn -- in the former storage area
6) Woburn -- in a space above a warehouse on New Boston
7) Waltham -- we really had no permanent space -- just temporary space offered to us by our collaborators and some of the most critical stuff we did in space that mostly was underground

No -- offence to Google -- but from personal experience -- I think that being highly productive and innovative is much more based on the quality of the team and the leadership and much less on the physical surroundings, i.e. glass boxes on top of parks on top of parking garages

they tore down the old sprawling 60's? home on Mt Aburn st and looks like they're restoring an old house at the same time any info on this?
014-1.jpg
Near where on Mt. Auburn is this? There looks to be a building in the rear that is being demolished or renovated too?

almost where it intersects with rt 2(Fresh Pond pkwy)the building they tore down was an old rambling run down 2 story building,there's a new foundation alreading built,maybe for a new home or a new basement for the older home,I'll look to see if i have a pic of the old structure.

NW13? We used to run our detector in the basement of NW13 before we moved it into a salt mine...

Coz -- No at least officially we were located in the parking garage area of NW-14 at 150 Albany St.

Although in, around and through the basements all of the buildings in that area up to but not including the reactor containment were connected

fa9ea7_040212google.jpg

Glass connector between Google's space in Kendall Square

One of the things we need to go through is what are the things wanted and needed by the work community here,” said Steve Vinter, head of Google’s Cambridge office, where expansion plans were finalized yesterday. “To be honest, we haven’t really answered those questions.”

Google’s offices will nearly double in size to 300,000 square feet under the plan. The trio of buildings at Three, Four and Five Cambridge Center will be united by a dramatic glass-enclosed corridor visible from Main Street.

The extra space will allow Google to bring in employees from its nearby subsidiary, ITA Software.
http://www.bostonherald.com/busines..._fancy_details_come_next/srvc=home&position=4

More good news for company expansion! BTW, what ever happened to the sign ordinance that was under consideration by the Cambridge City Council! To see the names of some of the major players in Cambridge posted on their buildings would really be an exclaimation point of pride for the area!

I was walking the other day and saw Microsoft has one on their building. A good sized one. Kinda cool, lets those not from the area get a sense of its clout. I imagine with google occupying so much space, they will have one up as well.

Back