Canopy by Hilton (née Haymarket Hotel) | Blackstone St | Parcel 9 | Greenway

Re: Parcel 9 - The Greenway

Rev. Blaxton was an Anglican minister who invited the Puritans to stay on his land when Charlestown proved less suitable. They generously allowed him to keep 50 acres. The Puritans disliked his theology, the Puritan court ordered his house burned, and he "took off" for Rhode Island. Got to love religious extremists.

He invited them, and they granted him 50 acres of his own land..... which he promptly sold back to them.

The puritans really need their own museum. And, if they have one it needs to be bigger to really show the extent of their douchebaggery and assholism.

Greenway has so much potential but way too much bureaucracy.

I'm still trying to figure out how the BRA can jusitify that Harbor Garage was better for the Greenway than what was proposed.

Does anybody on the board know what is going on with Govt Center parking garage?

Parking, ticket taking, generally making money, and a rehab of the top 2 floors of office space(I suppose this is done by now).... business as usual.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/north_end/2013/03/developers_present_competing_v.html

Article on the meeting and the proposals. Apparently tempers flared.

Both the president of the Haymarket Pushcart Association and a lawyer for the organization accused a developer of claiming favored status with the state Department of Transportation, which will choose the winning proposal.

Ottavio Gallotto, the association’s president, and attorney Emilio Favorito said Eamon O’Marah, a senior vice president at Jones Lang LaSalle, told pushcart vendors that MassDOT staff preferred the Haymarket Square hotel development his firm proposed in partnership with Normandy Real Estate Partners.

O’Marah said they had misinterpreted his message.

“I think you completely misunderstood. In ’09, we were recommended for designation. That’s what I said,” O’Marah said, referring to a previous round of proposals for the site that MassDOT ultimately threw out, beginning the process anew in 2010.

- See more at: http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...present_competing_v.html#sthash.FvVEmEMf.dpuf

Greenway to get get hotel, food market
By Casey Ross, Globe Staff

A team of developers is planning to build a 180-room hotel and food market on one of the last prime pieces of real estate along the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway after winning a bid to develop the property from state officials.

Normandy Real Estate Partners and Jones Lang LaSalle were awarded the rights to build the 8-story hotel and market on Parcel 9 Friday by the Massachusetts Transportation Department, which has been weighing competing bids for the property for several months.

The triangular property is located at Hanover and Blackstone Streets, near the weekend gathering of Haymarket pushcart vendors. State and city officials are trying to transform the area into a new food district with a standing farmer’s market, specialty food shops and restaurants.

“We believe this proposal offers the best overall benefit to the residents and businesses of Boston, the Market District and the Commonwealth,” Transportation Secretary Richard A. Davey said in a statement. “Along with the creation of the Boston Public Market nearby and the existing Haymarket pushcarts, this development will create a new and exciting Market District.”

Normandy was selected over a rival proposal for a 10-story apartment building, restaurants a food market and a community center. That bid was submitted by Cresset Development and DeNormanie Cos.

Normandy will build a mid-priced hotel along with a community room, fitness center, and pool that would be open to the public. The project, designed by Perkins + Will, will also include a restaurant, a ground-level market selling specialty foods and other products.

Normandy’s plan also calls for more than $2 million in improvements to Blackstone Street in support of the Haymarket Pushcart Association operations. Upgrades will include regrading the street, providing water and power for the vendors as well as retractable stall covers, and interior space for trash compaction, storage and vendor rest rooms.

“These benefits will help ensure the continued viability of this treasured Boston institution for years to come,” said Davey. A proposed 99-year lease with Normandy will result in rent to the state of between $7.3 and $8.5 million, to be dedicated to transportation uses. The terms of the lease still must be finalized.

http://www.boston.com/businessupdat...food-market/ZuzyfaWQUPmfnnds7nZWFL/story.html

Nice...I was hoping Blackstone Market would win.

When do they break ground?

Wait crap...they picked the other one.

Sux

NorthEndWaterfront-2013-08-09-at-2.59.30-PM.jpg

http://northendwaterfront.com/2013/...ion-as-developer-for-central-artery-parcel-9/

Ugh. I much preferred the Blackstone one- this looks so sterile to me.

I don't think they wanted apartments there. I think its just setting up issues for haymarket, whereas a hotel people are only there 2-4 nights and if its a really bad issue, they dont stay there again. I agree with that line of thinking.

That said, Blackstone's design better.

I like this. Reminds me of the Santa Caterina Market in Barcelona. Obviously the one in Spain is better, but with the undulating roofline they share a similar character.

0602santaCatrina_lg.jpg

I think apts would have been horrible mostly b/c there's no density - no other residential right there, so it sticks out. Plus, the smells and 24-hour activity (well, 12 hour) would turn off a lot of people.

What's with the single/double-story low-rise component of all these proposals? What a ridiculous waste of space. In the name of what exactly?

What's with the single/double-story low-rise component of all these proposals? What a ridiculous waste of space. In the name of what exactly?
The northern half of the parcel is tapering and narrow. Couldn't function as hotel space. If the space were used for residential, they'd be like railroad apartments with glass sides. And as the pushcart vendors remain, any height would make that section of Blackstone St. dark and almost claustrophobic.

A render in BBJ. For reasons unknown, the image doesn't appear. The asterisk is in the file name?

0809normandyhotel*600.jpg

I like this. Reminds me of the Santa Caterina Market in Barcelona. Obviously the one in Spain is better, but with the undulating roofline they share a similar character.

0602santaCatrina_lg.jpg

But this roof doesn't undulate. It's all sharp angles. Boston needs more curves.

A render in BBJ. For reasons unknown, the image doesn't appear. The asterisk is in the file name?

0809normandyhotel.jpg

The *600 is parsing code the BBJ uses to automatically scale the image. You can just get rid of it.

Boston public food market set for construction
By Casey Ross | GLOBE STAFF JANUARY 24, 2014

The indoor market will be constrcuted in a 28,000-square-foot space above the Haymarket MBTA station.

After years of delays, construction will begin soon on a public food market in downtown Boston that will become a showcase for New England foods and allow consumers to buy directly from local farmers, fishermen, ranchers, and wine makers.

Executives with the nonprofit organization behind the market said some vendors will begin selling products in an outdoor plaza along the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway this spring. Meanwhile, construction will proceed next door on a facility scheduled to open in early 2015.

Back