Canvas - Mixed Use Tower (old Felt location) | 533 Washington St | Downtown Crossing

No way this will happen, just like the other building on tremont the ritz will put up a fight which sucks they shouldnt be able to lay claim to views

What exactly is the Ritz' objective political power here? Do the residents control the neighborhood orgs? Higher-up influences? Sounds like the other Tremont site just wanted to clear the permitting process ASAP so was amenable to a floor-cut. If, hypothetically, 533 wanted to challenge the Ritz views (and I'm not holding my breath), how would the Ritzies fight it?

Along with the HT, if they want the view they can damn well buy the air rights

I'm pretty sure anybody can sue for any number of reasons. I believe the Trinity tower in back bay is tied up in litigation for god knows what.

If enough of the ppl in the Ritz get together and determine is worth their $ to save their view because they either dont want to lose it or believe their property value will decrease I'm sure they'd sue even if they know they wont win just to drag it out.

Becon Hill and part of downtown, Zakim maybe?

No... if you look on a map it would only be the views of downtown, and only partially. And only of One Boston Place, 45 province, or one beacon st.

Beacon hill wouldn't be blocked at all, or Zakim.

Somehow I don't think they'll argue about "this new building will block my view of those older crappier looking buildings"

Sometimes it more about quantity (i.e. how far they can see) than quality. I could absolutely see the Ritz residents raising a stink about losing that less than stellar view.

I'm pretty sure anybody can sue for any number of reasons. I believe the Trinity tower in back bay is tied up in litigation for god knows what.

If enough of the ppl in the Ritz get together and determine is worth their $ to save their view because they either dont want to lose it or believe their property value will decrease I'm sure they'd sue even if they know they wont win just to drag it out.

I also don't think the "who" of this is going to help. A 25-year-old kid from Hong Kong playing with his parents' money, with a bunch of mysterious Chinese investors, almost certainly building for absentee owners (like, for instance, his investors)? That's going to be a pretty easy group to smear in public meetings.

I'm embarrassed to say, when I first heard this guy's proposal I was like, "Whoa, whoa, that's not how we do things here in Boston."

Thanks for sharing. I don't even know where to begin with how lame/predictable/irrelevant that article is. I'll just say, whether or not this development can move forward, I would take it over this new pencil trend in NYC.

Thanks for sharing. I don't even know where to begin with how lame/predictable/irrelevant that article is. I'll just say, whether or not this development can move forward, I would take it over this new pencil trend in NYC.

Agreed. One pencil building can be interesting. Many pencil buildings looks pretty silly.

Went down a-snooping today.

Parcel length:
19958471125_2cfb857d89_c.jpg

It actually already has a next-door neighbor that is taller than you'd expect, carefully set back:
19950809952_946161dc91_c.jpg

^ Taller here on the Felt parcel is hardly out of place. Suffolk did a nice job next door with the setback of the dorm portion of the Modern Theatre.

I wonder if Emerson might raise a stink about a new tower here?

Anyone else find it odd that the developer already has a mock-up of the DTX area in his office?

img4687.jpg

That model took no more than 10 hours to make. BRA has all the plans masses in digital form at it would just take an intern about a day of cutting foam to make this.

Anyone can have a model like this for pretty cheap. Heck ... do it at home for free.

When you are ready for design ... pay the architect for their time.

cca

I wish I had that model! Think of the fun you could have with it and a couple of matches, or maybe throw in a few ants and a magnifying glass on a sunny day.

Coming by where? Am I missing something? (I have mission alot recently so I am probably just not getting something)

cca

Back