Charles Place | Harvard Square | Cambridge

BostonMike

Reaction score
I was walking by the site of the former Chili's in Harvard Square and noticed a banner for a new project, Charles Place. Anyone heard anything about this?

http://www.charlesplacecambridge.com/

I can't really tell where this is in the approval process.

Looks like every other new building to my unsophisticated eyes.

Re: Charles Place Cambridge

This is all I could find:
Bullfinch is leasing agent for Cambridge's Charles Place .Zoom Photos. .Bulfinch Companies Inc.

By Anonymous
Wicked Local Cambridge
Posted Mar 22, 2010 @ 04:29 PM
Cambridge ? The Bulfinch Companies Inc., a Needham-based real estate investment and development firm, has appointed Jones Lang LaSalle as the exclusive leasing agent in connection with the development of Charles Place at 114-116 Mount Auburn St. in Cambridge, a new 70,000-square-foot first-class office and retail building in Harvard Square.

The development of Charles Place, a seven-story LEED Certified Gold project, represents the first new office construction in Harvard Square in the past 20 years. Bulfinch has developed nearly 1 million square feet in Cambridge over the past several years and owns and manages several additional office and retail properties in Harvard Square, including Mount Auburn Place at 125 Mount Auburn St., which is leased to Harvard Law School and the U.S. Postal Service. Bulfinch is under construction on additional development in Cambridge, namely Forrester Research?s 200,000-square-foot world headquarters at Cambridge Discovery Park.

The design concept for Charles Place, established by David Manfredi of Elkus Manferdi Architects, maximizes retail frontage along Mount Auburn Street. The new building will span over the existing MBTA substation, incorporating that structure into the overall structure. The exterior, derived from the context of Harvard Square, will be comprised of Harvard water-struck brick, a continuous granite base at the sidewalk, cast stone window surrounds with white aluminum frames and sheet metal copper siding.

At the base of the building along Mount Auburn Street, distinguishing two-story high bays are in-filled with clear finish mahogany fronts to enhance the retail presence. The entire facade along Mount Auburn Street up to the seventh floor is clad in cast stone to set the elevation apart from the mass of the building. These distinguishing features create a unique and eclectic building design.

Charles Place is adjacent to the Charles Hotel, and as such, tenants of the new building will have access to the catering services, conference rooms, business center, and parking garage of the hotel. In addition, Charles Place is located near numerous retail and restaurant services, universities, public transportation, Memorial Drive, the Mass. Pike and Storrow Drive.

?We are very excited to be part of this landmark project,? said Jones Lang LaSalle Senior Vice President Peter Bekarian. ?Whenever you can talk about delivering a new building to a market like Harvard Square, it?s special. This represents an extraordinary opportunity for companies that have interest in a world-recognized address.?

Joining Bekarian on the leasing team is Jones Lang LaSalle?s Senior Vice President John Osten and Associates Molly Heath and Emilie Gullans. Bulfinch?s development team includes Elkus Manfredi Architects, and John Moriarty and Associates Inc.

Bulfinch CEO Eric Schlager said, ?We look forward to working with the Jones Lang LaSalle team to achieve 100 percent occupancy at Charles Place. The design of this new building, in connection with a LEED Certified Gold designation, is a unique combination of classic Harvard Square architecture and environmentally-forward construction that users will find highly desirable.?

http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridg...is-leasing-agent-for-Cambridges-Charles-Place

Re: Charles Place Cambridge

So this construction would cover the MBTA substation behind the current building. Anyone know what the MBTA building opposite this site (across the busway) is used for?

I pass this building a couple times a day. It used to be a Chili's restaurant and now appears as though the Charles Hotel has taken an interest in this property.

It is found in the general area of the Harvard Square post office, along Mt. Auburn Street. A big banner says it is to become "Charles Place", with a photo of a large brick building to replace it. I thought I would snag a few photos while I still could. When I peaked inside, it appears workmen are already gutting the buildings' innards.

http://www.charlesplacecambridge.com/

Photo of the current building to follow...

Last edited:
Re: Charles Place, Harvard Sq, Cambridge

I always thought people were really very protective of Harvard Square but it looks like this might be a go.

Close-up
IMG-20110322-00036.jpg

Farther
IMG-20110322-00035.jpg

Banner
IMG-20110322-00037.jpg

Developer info 1:
IMG-20110322-00038.jpg

Developer info 2:
IMG-20110322-00040.jpg

I'm torn. The current building is steeped in character and helps Harvard Sq be what it is. On the other hand the new building would allow for more retail and more feet on the ground (hotel? apartments?) It doesn't look bad and it isn't like the current building is a landmark.

as a Bentley Alum...thats the exact corner that the Shuttle bus drops off/picks up drunk college kids around the clock.

Thanks for the pictures.

The boxification of Harvard Square apparently continues apace.

The current building is unremarkable. It's replacement would be even more unremarkable.

I pass this building twice aday also on the #71 bus nothing seems to be happening yet,as this banner has been up for months?

I imagine the owners of this building were looking for a buyer for a while, which is why they never re-leased the restaurant space in the last 2+ years. The problem isn't what will replace it, although it is boring and unremarkable - but as bdurden put it, only slightly more unremarkable than what is there. The problem, though, is that the current space could attract a retail or restaurant tenant with character, an independent... the new building will, most likely, have some combination of banks and quiznos. I don't just feel that a bit of character is being lost, but also a bit of potential is being lost as well. It's the way I've felt about Harvard Square's overall trajectory for years.

Absolute tragedy

Harvard Square is becoming Kenmore Square. Someplace is becoming anyplace, the retail satellite of a giant academic institution...

Thanks for the pictures.

The boxification of Harvard Square apparently continues apace.

I wonder if it was by accident or by design that the brick building next to it is left out of the banner above the door. Behind this building the MBTA also has a high voltage closet but this image gives the impression that it will take up the whole block?

No big problem with "boxification". Harvard Square could easily - and should - support more density. Could have attracted independents? You kid yourselves. It held a Chili's before and the owner was holding out for another reliably check-issuing chain before finally caving to the developers. Yes, it was a quirky building, but it was not destined to burst to the seams with comic and hemp clothing shops.

The best thing for Harvard Square is densification to fully utilize access to a high capacity heavy rail transit stop and major bus junction and to take pressure off high real estate prices.

That said, there were other buildings that would have been on my target list for replacement. The Harvard Square Hotel next door has that disgraceful parking thing out front that probably drove customers away from the corner near that Chili's by itself; it's a disgrace and has needed to go for years. And I wish the Hotel Veritas tenement had been developed this "boxily". Mass. Ave. should have no front lawns.

The Harvard Square Hotel next door has that disgraceful parking thing out front that probably drove customers away from the corner near that Chili's by itself; it's a disgrace and has needed to go for years.

I thought of mentioning the roach motel in my post. Ablarc put it on a hit list a while back (unfortunately, the pics are gone from the thread).

It looks like this project is finally starting. Charles Place has updated their website with floor plans.

The bus/trackless trolley turnaround is fenced off with sidewalk coverings installed. The 114 Mount Auburn Street bus stop was moved to University Road. The trackless trolley wire has been taken down and what I assume is remediation work is being performed on the old dispatch building.

CoStar Realty says:
Harvard University Signs 65,500-SF Lease at Charles Place
Jones Lang LaSalle Seals Long Term Deal at Proposed Cambridge Property

By Jeannie Reamer
February 11, 2014

Harvard University signed a 65,511-square-foot long-term lease at 114 Mount Auburn St. in Cambridge, MA.

Construction on the seven-story, 66,463-square-foot building is set to get underway in April 2014 and wrap up in January 2016. The building will be located in the Mid-Cambridge/Harvard Square and is being constructed to LEED Certified specifications.

The Jones Lang LaSalle team of John Osten, Peter Bekarian and Dan Kollar represented the landlord, The Bulfinch Cos.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is all office, no residential or hotel. Floor plans ripped from the site:

1_Page_1_zpse8a46ba2.png

1_Page_2_zpsa4ba9813.png

1_Page_3_zps5fd28b5e.png

1_Page_4_zpse707adf5.png

Back