Charlesview Redevelopment | Western Ave | Allston

Thanks for the photos BeeLine.

Fall light is the best.

Will this, I hope, be of better quality construction than what it is replacing?

The original Charlesview is little more than 40 years old. Nothing that new should be in such bad shape that it already needs to be demolished. (For comparison, I live in an 83-year-old apartment building. I fully expect it to survive for another 83 years.)

Well, it was a project built during the dark depths of the urban renewal era. And it was a compromise after they bulldozed the original homes but balked on the replacement luxury condo plan. So, between brutalism and a lack of caring from the BRA, is it that surprising that the structure is falling apart?

13FD7C34-37A3-49AD-BB5B-4ADE71D8DEBC-6410-000006A10C313709.jpg

3A45025A-54E5-44B8-AA0E-ED04E5882319-6410-000006A10578604D.jpg

7E395681-F450-45E1-A47F-43357FA54008-6410-000006A0F91F3FFC.jpg

1987EA0D-1B03-4AA5-8919-A0EF43935728-6410-000006A0F2545C77.jpg

64BF6A83-C23B-4740-827D-94225BEF1FCD-6410-000006A1001176A8.jpg

Some photos from the camera phone

Yet another example of the insulation looking better than the final skin material. #keepitbrick

Is the brick mid-rise residential? Rental or condo? If so, why are their no balconies. I get why there wouldn't be on the side facing Western, but what about the sides visible in the third photo?

It's strange that so many developments in Boston don't include balconies where possible, when they're practically de rigueur in other cities.

Is the brick mid-rise residential? Rental or condo? If so, why are their no balconies. I get why there wouldn't be on the side facing Western, but what about the sides visible in the third photo?

It's strange that so many developments in Boston don't include balconies where possible, when they're practically de rigueur in other cities.

Good point and I fully agree with you.

Balconies are for people who enjoy life and have a zest for social, urban living - - kinda like people friendly street level retail/coffee shops/cafes.

Puritans/Calvinists don't do balconies and that stuff. They much prefer an architectural hijab.

Balconies = Liability. Sorry ...but that is the discussion I have heard too many times to not believe it is true.

I believe all these buildings are low and lower income rental housing. The condos were/are to go on the other side of Western Ave., but there was community objection to the height and density of the condos, including early complaints about blocking views of the Charles. There is underground parking for 245 cars.

A significant part of the financing came from Google.

As for balconies, I suppose there is the question of maintenance costs and energy efficiency.

Balconies can be good ... but aren't they what most of us hate about Tremont-on-the-Common?

^The garage levels on TOC are unfortunate. The tower and balconies though are classic mid-century mod. Too bad there aren't more of these around.

Back