Continuum | Barry's Corner | Allston

Re: Barry's Corner Commons and renaming Barry's Corner

Sorry guys, I got a little wiener in these pics...

15182091071_2824ceb99f_b.jpg

15162093296_aae40aa06d_b.jpg

15185121125_312c0b29dc_b.jpg

14998339339_718257c189_b.jpg

Some down and dirty drive-bys

15328265795_b742571937_b.jpg

15141503289_9a4ee30fb8_b.jpg

15141550100_b38b5449df_b.jpg

15327951752_a30c8dfecd_b.jpg

15141499189_6e859ca2bb_b.jpg

15166910958_6c3d933b4d_b.jpg

15166969917_7ccb9eb6db_b.jpg

15353162612_232c276a1c_b.jpg

Last edited:

wtf?! I hadn't been following this project much since it was approved...but this thing broke ground 4 months ago....how is it this far along?!

Pretty disappointing. I really fault harvard, big time. If it was about money, they should've waited. If it was neighborhood resistance, they should've bartered. I strolled around the business school campus the other night - hadn't really ever been through there extensively on foot - and was amazed at how vast and nicely done it was. It's all phony-historical; I'm pretty sure most of it was built well after 1900. But they went well, well out if their way to Mbundu all those neo-Federal buildings, all those quadrangles. This Barry's Corner crap is just so frustratingly boring. It could be anywhere. Harvard is better than that, or should be.... At least they used to be.

That is going to be hideous.

1.) Continuum is not a Harvard building, it is a Samuels building, --the same developer that many on this board genuflect before for his buildings on Boylston near the Fens. Samuels owns the building, has a ground lease on the land.

2.) While rents have not been announced, the expectation by some, including Paul McMorrow, is that " Likely residents include the school’s grad students and employees, and, later, employees of the commercial enterprise campus the school will develop along Western Avenue" and "[Allston]Green District apartments still rent for thousands less than downtown units".
http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...ies-allston/mUThXaFXh6fd1idGZqxUmJ/story.html

3.) The B school campus is Neo-Georgian, not neo-Federal.

Continuum is not a Harvard building, it is a Samuels building, --the same developer that many on this board genuflect before for his buildings on Boylston near the Fens. Samuels owns the building, has a ground lease on the land.

This. It's not like Trilogy or 1330 are winning any awards for architectural design, at best they're "allright". Aluccobond and panel brick. The great thing about Samuels projects is ground level interaction, where this building should be on par with what's going on in the Fenway.

With Harvards new strategy of having private developers build out their space, I can only imagine Samuels will be putting up more buildings in the area. If the Fenway is any hint, design standards will probably increase as investment in the neighborhood does. Keep in mind too, this is Allston. Despite the great views over Herter Park this thing will have, it's not like it can have million dollar penthouses. The fact that this is happening at all is somewhat of a miracle.

---------------------

Some more updates from Barrys:

-Demolition of old Charlesview is imminent. Contractors on site daily, fencing up, salvage crews spotted coming out.

-Site prep for the hotel on Western Ave down by Genzyme has been ongoing for a few weeks now. Might try to grab some pics today

-Some activity at the capped off Science Complex. They dropped some new asphalt connecting Rotterdam St to Western Ave, and I've seen guys in vests poking around on the rest of the site too. However, they did just repair a part of the fancy fence that was burned down along Rotterdam, so it's probable nothings happening here yet.

-Construction going on inside the white box portion of the Ceramics building. Anyone know who leased the space?

---------------------

Some more updates from Barrys:

-Demolition of old Charlesview is imminent. Contractors on site daily, fencing up, salvage crews spotted coming out.

-Site prep for the hotel on Western Ave down by Genzyme has been ongoing for a few weeks now. Might try to grab some pics today

-Some activity at the capped off Science Complex. They dropped some new asphalt connecting Rotterdam St to Western Ave, and I've seen guys in vests poking around on the rest of the site too. However, they did just repair a part of the fancy fence that was burned down along Rotterdam, so it's probable nothings happening here yet.

-Construction going on inside the white box portion of the Ceramics building. Anyone know who leased the space?

As you note, Charlesview is in the process of demolition.

As far as site prep for the hotel-conference center on Western Ave., I've not seen any Harvard announcement about that. The site prep may be mitigating contamination of the site.

On the science complex, they apparently reconfigured part of the garage footprint to match up with the revised design, renderings for which have not been publicly released. The architect is the same as before, from Germany, whose name escapes me.

The space inside the Harvard ceramics building is being reconfigured and fitted out for the EdPortal, which was previously located on the Continuum site. The community seems to be ecstatic about the design.

“This blows my mind,” Ray V. Mellone, the chairman of the task force, said. “This is the best thing Harvard ever did and will ever do for our neighborhood.”
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2014/9/2/allston-programming-facility-revealed/

Pretty disappointing. I really fault harvard, big time. If it was about money, they should've waited. If it was neighborhood resistance, they should've bartered. I strolled around the business school campus the other night - hadn't really ever been through there extensively on foot - and was amazed at how vast and nicely done it was. It's all phony-historical; I'm pretty sure most of it was built well after 1900. But they went well, well out if their way to Mbundu all those neo-Federal buildings, all those quadrangles. This Barry's Corner crap is just so frustratingly boring. It could be anywhere. Harvard is better than that, or should be.... At least they used to be.

Did you ever notice that all the signature buildings on campus are named after some billionaire and Barry's Corner is named after, umm, Barry?
Baker Library was named after a rich donor named Baker. It was not an homage to the bread-baking profession.
Tata Hall was named after an Indian billionaire. It was not an homage to "tatas" (titties).
Donors want to pony up money that supports architecture spending for flagship buildings on campus. No one is lining up to fund the architecture budget of a modest, mixed-use, non-academic development that (when complete) may not bear any obvious connection to the University.

... and Barry's Corner is named after, umm, Barry?

I think it's the possessive in the name that really hits you over the head with a bit of mystique ("who's Barry?") and at the same time diminution ("Eh, probably some guy who works at the gas station.")

While Barry was the last name of the family the intersection is named after, it's association with a first name and the resultant possessive s is the issue. So while you can easily have Franklin Square, Allston Village, Coolidge Corner, etc, Barry Corner or Barry Square just sounds awkward.

Than again, we have Corey Hill not Corey's Hill. You could probably write a thesis on this...

I'd argue if Samuels and Harvard are successful here, you'll hardly notice the buildings for the streetscape. When I think of Harvard Square, I rarely think of distinguished architecture, though arguably there is some here and there. How about Davis Square? From the perspective of distinguished architecture, that place is shite. I think Samuels will get the street level interactions right, which is what matters here.

New Harvard-built graduate student housing tends to look like this:

Cowperthwaite_605.jpg

or this:

Harvard-10Akron_Main.jpg

with a corresponding per sq ft construction cost. And lack street-level commercial, or open-to-the-public business enterprises.

How about Davis Square? From the perspective of distinguished architecture, that place is shite. I think Samuels will get the street level interactions right, which is what matters here.
Good street levels and good or interesting architecture are not mutually exclusive. Re-imagining the use of off the shelf building materials into outside the box designs can go a long way with tight budgets. Could a Barry's Corner of standard shipping containers have worked here?

Imaginative artwork, murals, and graphic design/signage can also go a long way to juice a place without being a huge investment.

CONTINUUM

15449705541_ff576b704a_b.jpg

15449703301_fcc3e255c6_b.jpg

15266146740_a4b1fa9aec_b.jpg

15266236288_38a0772d60_b.jpg

15461654491_8b94b0ecc1_b.jpg

15464443472_9ddbaac6ae_b.jpg

It's amazing how the presence of that structure has already changed Barry's Corner.

Sadly, I hear that a worker fell through a floor today and had to go to the hospital.

Back