From the science complex:
15526960906_253970a995_b.jpg

And old Charlesview salvage/demo:
15547930351_9cee8ddb82_b.jpg

Re: Barry's Corner Commons and renaming Barry's Corner

big crane is down

So... it sounds like the crane might have fallen

I'm waiting on pics now, can anyone confirm?

Edit: Pic from girlfriend. If it fell it looks in good shape. On the other hand if they are taking it apart... why are they doing it in the middle of a public field?

Another person out on the street told her that it fell... so idunno.
15557737952_c20a5e853d_o.jpg

Last edited:

What's happening with the Charlesview Redev? Are those buildings getting knocked down and replaced, or just refurbished. Would be nice if somethign replaced it that had a streetwall with streetlevel retail, right opposite this Barry's corner project. If they're just rehabbing the existing building, its still gonna be ugly concrete buildings with parking in between the road and building.

What's happening with the Charlesview Redev? Are those buildings getting knocked down and replaced, or just refurbished. Would be nice if somethign replaced it that had a streetwall with streetlevel retail, right opposite this Barry's corner project. If they're just rehabbing the existing building, its still gonna be ugly concrete buildings with parking in between the road and building.

All of Charlesview is being demolished. Replacing it will be the grove of trees on the immediate corner, then behind it and along Western Ave, a Harvard Univ. mixed use building: "The 300,000-square-foot project will contain academic and administrative space on its upper floors, but is designed for ground-level retail space".

There is some talk that the Harvard admin offices currently in the Holyoke Center will move to this building, as the Holyoke Center is converted to a student social center.

The original plan was to use this site for culture (museum) and the arts.

^This is why all buildings should be surrounded by acres of green space and parking lots--to catch the cranes! If this was an accident, it sure was a lucky one.

Harvard EVP sends a monthly email to Harvard staff. Update on Allston below:

Allston Update
As many of you may recall, we received BRA approval last October for a 10 year Institutional Master Plan (IMP). The development in Allston is crucial to our future, as our Cambridge campus comprises 210 acres and our Allston land holdings total 360 acres. A number of exciting activities are underway in Allston as this campus truly takes shape.

Over the next 12 months in Allston, we will:

Open a new housing and retail complex in Allston, supporting students, junior faculty, scholars, and community members;
Build on our planning work with SEAS faculty and share conceptual designs for the science building;
Demolish the Charlesview apartments, and begin planning for the Gateway Building, a second academic building as noted in the IMP;
Begin enabling work in and around Barry’s Corner to install new roadways and public realm improvements;
Move the existing Harvard Education Portal located on North Harvard Street into a larger and more technologically-inspired space across the street next to our new Ceramics Studio – the new Portal will also house our AllstonX activities; and
Continue construction on the Harvard Business School Campus of projects such as the Chao Center that will house executive education programs.
Indeed, when all of the projects in Allston are added together it equates to 2.5M square feet of new construction and 500,000 square feet of renovation over the next 10 years!

As the planning for the I-90 project in Allston Landing South proceeds, we also see the potential for significant acreage, which is now burdened by the series of exit and entrance ramps, becoming available for development as well. Specifically, last week the Commonwealth of Massachusetts announced the I-90/Massachusetts Turnpike Allston Interchange Improvements Project, which will include a new Commuter Rail station, with pedestrian and bike access that will allow for increased development and growth opportunities in the area. The project has dramatic potential benefits for the public and for Harvard, including improved transportation options and reduced traffic congestion and greenhouse gas emissions, while opening up approximately 50 acres of developable land with an additional 35 acres of air rights development expected over the new highway and rail infrastructure.

15399551977_f89001bc7e_b.jpg

The project has dramatic potential benefits for the public and for Harvard, including improved transportation options and reduced traffic congestion and greenhouse gas emissions, while opening up approximately 50 acres of developable land with an additional 35 acres of air rights development expected over the new highway and rail infrastructure.

Sorry, I realize this is two weeks old, but did anyone else note the 35 acres of air rights they see themselves developing over the Beacon Park yard?

Sorry, I realize this is two weeks old, but did anyone else note the 35 acres of air rights they see themselves developing over the Beacon Park yard?

I think that's only making note of the placeholder that the Pike and T yard reconfiguration will support air rights pilings.

You know...like the rest of the Pike cut that opened 49 years ago supports air rights that'll be filled any...minute...now. :rolleyes:

I believe Harvard owns all of Beacon yards and the Pike, --and the realigned highway and railroad tracks and new train station will be there by easement on Harvard-owned land.

A few examples:

http://hubmaps1.cityofboston.gov/egis/Map.aspx?PropertyID=2200107010

http://hubmaps1.cityofboston.gov/egis/Map.aspx?PropertyID=2200105010

http://hubmaps1.cityofboston.gov/egis/Map.aspx?PropertyID=2200105000

http://hubmaps1.cityofboston.gov/egis/Map.aspx?PropertyID=2100396010

I believe Harvard owns all of Beacon yards and the Pike, --and the realigned highway and railroad tracks and new train station will be there by easement on Harvard-owned land.

A few examples:

http://hubmaps1.cityofboston.gov/egis/Map.aspx?PropertyID=2200107010

http://hubmaps1.cityofboston.gov/egis/Map.aspx?PropertyID=2200105010

http://hubmaps1.cityofboston.gov/egis/Map.aspx?PropertyID=2200105000

http://hubmaps1.cityofboston.gov/egis/Map.aspx?PropertyID=2100396010

I thought there was some sort of land-swap involved with this project between the state and Harvard.

I thought there was some sort of land-swap involved with this project between the state and Harvard.

Correct. Harvard gets the current Pike alignment, new Pike alignment is MassDOT's and the T gets an easement.

It's more developable acreage than Harvard had before the swap.

We have told them on multiple occasions that we really want them to build the initial decking as part of the I-90 project, since it is much easier to do before the new highway and rail facilities open than later.

^The above discussion should really be in the I-90 realignment thread.

Regarding Barry's Corner; the facade is being installed on the Continuum. My phone was dead so I couldn't snatch any pics, but I'm withholding judgement for now.

I'm going to reserve judgment until the glazing starts going in, but considering this is the tallest thing around I'm concerned.

15142383003_b3e6815ed2_b.jpg

15575946739_b21df24e8a_b.jpg

Looks like they are about ready to start paving the new road.
15763352182_1cf6fc827e_b.jpg

Back