Continuum | Barry's Corner | Allston

Re: Barry's Corner Commons and renaming Barry's Corner

man, was that complex ugly. just so incredibly ugly, and placed in such a prominent spot. harvard better make a flagship building here, but im afraid they will blow it and not capitalize on a critical spot..

Made this for a school project. The daytime shots are from today. I'm not 100% happy with it, but its due in a half hour sooooo...

(I wish I had more historic shots of the neighborhood instead of the driving shot of the innovation lab, and the scrolling through the master plan takes too long).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fZhodt94lo

Wow, Dave! I'm very impressed! Nice local history lesson! And I love the music! One of my favorite songs, so appropriate! Thanks for sharing!

Wow, Dave! I'm very impressed! Nice local history lesson! And I love the music! One of my favorite songs, so appropriate! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, I'm actually named after Bowie, so it was even more appropriate.

Edit: funny enough, my teacher hated it. He felt the shots had no relation to each other. I think the storyline is pretty clear, but I was in no mood for arguing. (He also self-professed to dislike videos with music, something I vehemently disagree with...)

Last edited:

Cool. Ideo, I lived there for 4 awesome years, my 2nd apt was on Rena street, so that was my corner right there. I must say that pan shot you do of Barry's Corner dropped my jaw, that intersection is completely different!

Updates on the location from Harvard:

Continuum (199 North Harvard Street, Allston)
The Continuum will feature street-level retail shops, underground parking, and two residential towers with 325 apartments, which is LEED Gold Certified.
Starting on March 24th, the developer, Samuels & Associates will accept reservations. The North Building will be completed in August and the South Building in November 2015.

Former Charlesview Apartments (North Harvard Street and Western Avenue)
3 of the 8 buildings have been demolished
Demolition is projected to be complete in May

All that remains of the Charlesview Apartments as of today

17042254229_18c5843167_b.jpg

I think it took longer to demolish the original Charlesview than it did to build it. Which makes me wonder what they may have found from the standpoint of contamination.

If it's on par with the rest of Allston, bongs. So after the sight is cleaned up, are they then going to start building whatever's going there?

..... So after the sight is cleaned up, are they then going to start building whatever's going there?
I don't think so. The next construction is across the street for the science and engineering building(s). Turner was the original contractor, and Turner's sign was on the demolition from the beginning, so I suspect the old Charlesview land will be used for construction staging, and contractor parking.

17442228515_d48c43b410_b.jpg

17441873771_d812e3b2f4_b.jpg

17441853901_7f70de6b10_b.jpg

It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Ouch.

Can someone remind me who the design team is on this one?

cca

Samuels falls victim to the Archboston Love/Hate/Love Cycle. He's LITERALLY worse than Hitler now.

Godwin's law lives!

Back