Continuum | Barry's Corner | Allston

Re: Barry's Corner Commons and renaming Barry's Corner

^^^^^^^^^^^

Dave, its an A project if I, a teacher with 30 years experience, were to grade it! Well done! Very impressed with your 4 am narration! :)

Job well done Dave.

Thanks so much guys!

The copper looks great on rainy days:
17676423588_21312e585a_b.jpg

Just seeing this now. Great video, Dave. Almost everything in it is new information to me. Historic photos of the neighborhood are great and make it damnably clear that the BRA was abusing their power to do whatever they wanted.

Thanks so much guys!

The copper looks great on rainy days:
17676423588_21312e585a_b.jpg

Will be brown in one season (by design).

cca

Reminds me of some Soviet housing block.

Oh, come on, van. it's nowhere near that bad... certainly not significantly worse than identically-sized blocks going up everywhere else... from the fields I even think it looks decent.

Last edited:

You're right, they are worse. Soviet blocks at least had a Modernist idealism to them, flawed as that was.

You're right, they are worse. Soviet blocks at least had a Modernist idealism to them, flawed as that was.

If we're going to talk about Soviet style blocks, let's at least have a point of reference. These pics were taken on a trip I made to Kazakhstan about 5 or 6 years ago. Both Almaty and Astana have some modern architecture but I'm only posting the "Soviet Style" architecture here.

Almaty

Astana

Still in Astana...behind this pic of my former boss you can see more of the "old" part of Astana with old "soviet style" blocs

Last edited:

you should make a new thread and post your other photos. central asia is a place id love to visit.

FK4 Half of my pictures from that trip are are work related and a few of them are of me drunk off my ass. I do have pics of the mountains near Almaty and some of the monuments. Maybe I'll file through them and make a thread when I get a chance.

Edit: Fuck it...I decided to make a thread http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?p=234374#post234374

Last edited:

If we're going to talk about Soviet style blocks, let's at least have a point of reference. These pics were taken on a trip I made to Kazakhstan about 5 or 6 years ago. Both Almaty and Astana have some modern architecture but I'm only posting the "Soviet Style" architecture here.

I think we should call it a tie with the edge going to the new shiny super bland soul destroying buildings rather than the old and surprisingly somewhat ornate soviet era soul destroying buildings. Repeat after me... we are all individuals.

At least maybe in a free market driven society... oh wait this is next to Harvard so never mind.

Sorry guys, this is a "finish board" facade. Someone told someone that the way you break down the mass of the building is to just change the materials around every corner. This is one of many factors one should use ... but unfortunately they only chose this one thing and it is just confusing and silly. What it is ... I am sure ... is cheap. Unfortunately it looks like it too.

cca

Well... it's better than One Canal.

I would begin to debate you on that ... but there is no world where debating to pieces of high powered mediocrity would ever come to any useful conclusion.

Lets just sigh and move on.

cca

FYI, Samuels is calling this "Continuum". A mod may want to update the thread title. I just got a broker email that the leasing office is open and they're beginning move-ins between 9/1 and 11/1. Not sure yet on the prices.

Back