Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a defense of the poor door that if you changed a couple of words could be sent back 60 years to be a defense of separate but equal. They better not include a poor door.

In this context they aren't equal though. I don't care either way but it would be amusing to see a few heads explode if they do try it.

A number of Boston developments already have "poor doors" and no one seems to mind.

Is it really unreasonable to have separate entrances for $ million plus condos versus subsidized rental units? Those condos are the economic engine that makes the subsidized units possible.

Examples that no one has protested (both in Chinatown, where they are simply happy to get housing period):

Metropolitan. Two separate lobbies, one for the upper condo floors, one for the (mostly) subsidized rental floors.

One Greenway / 66 Hudson Street. One Greenway is the address for the market rate units. 66 Hudson Street is the separate entrance around the corner for the affordable units.

It's just another form of mixed use really. You can have residences and offices in the same building. You can also have luxury residences and regular residences in the same building. The luxury residences have more amenities to justify their cost, thus the separate lobby ect.

It's just another form of mixed use really. You can have residences and offices in the same building. You can also have luxury residences and regular residences in the same building. The luxury residences have more amenities to justify their cost, thus the separate lobby ect.

Even the Millennium Tower is getting two residential entrances, although neither is a "poor door". Lower floors have one entrance (the rich door); upper floors have another entrance (the uber rich door).

Even the Millennium Tower is getting two residential entrances, although neither is a "poor door". Lower floors have one entrance (the rich door); upper floors have another entrance (the uber rich door).

MT has two lobbies because the management is two separate entities. Copley Place will too because there are both condos and apartments.

From my post in 2013:
You can see from this plan that there are two lobbies, each with two shuttle elevators that go to the transfer level to access the tower elevators.

mab6nm.png

Refer to the BCDC Presentation slides for additional renders and info: http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...07-09-2013-bcdc-presentation-copley-expansion

Based on the # of mailboxes, I'm assuming the apartment lobby is the one plan north and the condo lobby is the one plan south.

Since the article mentioned that one door was for the condo OWNERS and the other door was for the RENTERS, that makes a big difference in who has access to what. To play devil's advocate, why should a condo owner pay a few thousand dollars of condo fees per month for the maintenance of the condo amenities while the renter who rents, pays no condo fees yet has full access to the amenities but pays nothing for their upkeep? Seems like one door is for condo owners and the other door for renters. Actually, it makes sense, one door for owners, one door for renters.

There's a slide in there before with the Turnpike and rail lines highlighted that I hadn't looked at closely before. Holy crap. The entire footprint of this tower will sit perfectly over both directions of the highway (I had assumed that they were supporting one corner, or something). I can kind of see why it will take years to build the foundation now.

Since the article mentioned that one door was for the condo OWNERS and the other door was for the RENTERS, that makes a big difference in who has access to what. To play devil's advocate, why should a condo owner pay a few thousand dollars of condo fees per month for the maintenance of the condo amenities while the renter who rents, pays no condo fees yet has full access to the amenities but pays nothing for their upkeep? Seems like one door is for condo owners and the other door for renters. Actually, it makes sense, one door for owners, one door for renters.

It makes sense even if both are renters, if the rentals are at significantly different price points. Higher price point rentals (likely upper floors, better views) get a nicer lobby, more amenities, etc. Lower price point rentals get fewer amenities, lower floors, etc.

It makes sense even if both are renters, if the rentals are at significantly different price points. Higher price point rentals (likely upper floors, better views) get a nicer lobby, more amenities, etc. Lower price point rentals get fewer amenities, lower floors, etc.

And if the rentals are not only lower price point but actively subsidized by the city (I.e., by those who pay taxes to the city, including all of the wealthy condo owners) it's fairly logical that those paying millions for their condo, paying condo fees, and subsidizing their neighbors' living costs, should at least receive a few additional amenities vs. what the subsidy beneficiaries get in return for their significantly higher investments and expenses.

So currently there are three air rights projects that could potentially disrupt the mass pike: copley place, and then the two separate projects over by hynes (not including fenway since even if it gets built the air rights part comes later) - will this effect approvals for construction, ie, will these projects need to be staggered?

Looked at the document -- very thorough and very Curvy

+ scratch one winter garden replaced by watery and cury Atrium --Ou La La

Looking better and better :cool:

NOW Let's Get BUiLDIN !!!! ;)

Would you folks say that, if/when it gets built, this will be Elkus Manfredi's most visible project in the city?

The mock-up that made a brief appearance at Copley Place some time ago is back on display.

Copley%20Place%20-%2020150522.jpg

Exactly how tall will this tower be again? I remember it being stated as 569ft but I'm seeing 596ft and 625ft as well.

625 feet to the top of the mechanical screen and I think 596 to the highest occupied floor. I think thats what I heard.

When I see indication of construction happening, even if it's wor occurring 30 ft underground I will believe it is happening.

The mock-up on display is a very good sign that construction is starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back