Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious - why the optimism for "D" (TD Garden Towers Development breaks ground)?

The developer has stated multiple times they want to get started before the end of 2015. So I am basing it off of that. I hope I am remembering correctly.

And then thinking Millenium will be wrapping up as Four Seasons and Copley are hitting their stride...

These 2 are very staggered. There will probably be the same gap between Four Seasons and Copley as there is between Millennium and Four Seasons, if not more. I could see Copley and TD's bigger tower going up around the same time.

I'm curious - why the optimism for "D" (TD Garden Towers Development breaks ground)?

Based on the money BP has allocated to get the ball rolling on this. Even if it's just the podium, the towers will have broken ground.

The last 5-10 posts are making me absolutely giddy. The prospect of the Garden Tower(s) going up simultaneously with Nashua Street Res...
And then thinking Millenium will be wrapping up as Four Seasons and Copley are hitting their stride...
*Sigh of Contentedness*

Just think about how the Back Bay skyline will look by 2019 if everything gets built.........

Not sure the BRA website says it is approved so I'm not sure whats happened to that.

From talking to someone at Boston Properties that knows, TD Podium and residential tower will break ground this year. Hotel they're hoping for next spring. Office stump will totally depend on when they can get an anchor tenant. They won't build it on spec.

From talking to someone at Boston Properties that knows, TD Podium and residential tower will break ground this year. Hotel they're hoping for next spring. Office stump will totally depend on when they can get an anchor tenant. They won't build it on spec.

Watch for an August groundbreaking.

Just think about how the Back Bay skyline will look by 2019 if everything gets built.........

This development along with the Four Seasons are going to be absolute game-changers for Boston's skyline. The "high spine" will be continued with a weird\somewhat unique\awesome "scoliosis spine" appearance once all these new towers get built and hook around the river all the way from back bay to Kendall Sq. This will be especially true if Cambridge adds a few 400' towers in Kendall (better yet, 1x 400', 1x600' and 1x1000'). I can't wait for Boston to expand vertically like it should have been doing since the last high-rise boom in the 90's. Cambridge and North point in particular are going to be major players in extending the skyline. Add the gov't center garage development, TD Garden development and if we're lucky, a couple towers replacing city hall and the plaza, Boston will finally have a respectable skyline.

I understand skylines don't necessarily define a city and Boston is one of the most densely populated cities in America, but without a large connected skyline it doesn't seem impressive to anyone who hasn't visited Boston let alone America. I get it though, Boston's got history and we need to preserve that. There are pretty clear boundaries developers can't cross like building a 40 story building in beacon hill or the north end, but this development is crucial for the city by adding housing and human capital (very rich\high tax-paying capital). Moral of this post is I'm too excited for the future of Boston's skyline. Now that I think of it there are so many thing Boston\the BRA could have done better with the waterfront but that's a whole different rant.

I understand skylines don't necessarily define a city ..... I get it though, Boston's got history and we need to preserve that. There are pretty clear boundaries developers can't cross like building a 40 story building in beacon hill or the north end....

Hockey they already built one on Beacon Hill -- aka One Beacon St.

one Boston Place -- you can't get a more historic neighbor than to be built right next to the Old State House

There is the Pru and Hancock and a near 600 footer all visible from throughout the Back Bay -- with more to come

and if there is an Aquarium Tower -- well that's really the North End

So there really is no "sacred ground" prohibiting towers in Boston [ex the FAA limits]

No -- as you identified it -- the BRA has just been the roadblock to tall towers for at least couple of decades -- the unintended benefit of the "ceiling" has been that by missing the big tall boring box phase that erupted in the rest of the US for the past 30 years Boston's new towers are post the transition to much more eye-friendly design styles

Considering One Beacon part of Beacon Hill is a slight stretch in my mind as it is a few blocks from the actual neighborhood and separated by the state house and Suffolk University and falls into a uncharacterized zone between beacon hill and the financial district.

To be honest, the only point I was trying to make was that Boston's skyline is going to change for the better in the near future and it would have many more opportunities to build up if it weren't for historic neighborhoods and like you said FAA regulations. I just mainly look foward to seeing what this building boom produces for the skyline

The design for the Cesar Pelli tower (part of Gov't center development) is probably the most unique building planned for Boston, in my opinion. I wish it could go higher than the 528' planned height, but the curved façade is definitely thinking out-of-the-box, as far as Boston goes. Although, good design can really make a skyline impressive-even without spectacular height. Orlando,FL's skyline comes to mind. The buildings aren't supertall, but they do look impressive driving by on I-95,especially at night due to the lighting effects on each tower. (oops, off thread again!)

The 528 feet is just to the roof of the highest occupied floor so with the extension of the curved curtain wall extension the architectural height could be around 600 feet.

The 528 feet is just to the roof of the highest occupied floor so with the extension of the curved curtain wall extension the architectural height could be around 600 feet.

Just to avoid confusion since this hit a new page, those numbers are for the Pelli building by Government Center. Cause personally, my first thought was: "They scaled back the tower?!?! Noooooo!!!!!"

The design for the Cesar Pelli tower (part of Gov't center development) is probably the most unique building planned for Boston, in my opinion. I wish it could go higher than the 528' planned height, but the curved façade is definitely thinking out-of-the-box, as far as Boston goes. Although, good design can really make a skyline impressive-even without spectacular height. Orlando,FL's skyline comes to mind. The buildings aren't supertall, but they do look impressive driving by on I-95,especially at night due to the lighting effects on each tower. (oops, off thread again!)

lapradetom -- supertall or even an "official skyscraper" -- is not the relevant criteria

Two of the most interesting blips on the Boston skyline [also two of the older ones] are the Customs House and the Old John Hancock Tower -- neither of which top 500 feet officially [although they are real close]

Also some of the 19th C church steeples are still blips along parts of the skyline and are part of why the Boston skyline is interesting despite the lack of supertalls

I heard that simon will be closing down the dartmouth street entrance and the tunnel entrance to the orange line soon. A temporary entrance will be built somewhere on the side of copley place in the vicinity of the outside shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back