Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that simon will be closing down the dartmouth street entrance and the tunnel entrance to the orange line soon. A temporary entrance will be built somewhere on the side of copley place in the vicinity of the outside shops.

I was actually just about to post this. I noticed yesterday that both the Swiss Army store in the mall (for a little while now) & the news/snack kiosk at ground level are gone.

Last edited:
Hard to believe this project is finally under way....yippee!!! (hey, we gotta give it some love...Millenium Towers' been getting all the love lately)

I was actually just about to post this. I noticed yesterday that both the Swiss Army store in the mall (for a little while now) & the news/snack kiosk at ground level are gone.

Does this mean all the other department stores in the tower's base will also have to move/relocate during construction?

its-happening.gif

Walked by the other day, forgetting the mock-up is still here. They've now got it surrounded by barrier ropes/queue barriers rather than the orange construction barrier... ~~~ooOoOoOoO~~~
lyrF9mkl.jpg

Also, with the news stand gone from this entrance of Copley Place, you can now see the old 80s-corporate-style logo from before Simon acquired it in 2002.
SY9LrO8l.jpg

Last edited:
I remember reading that given the logistics of the site, there will be a year of prep-work before the actually tower construction really becomes noticeable. Does any of this count toward that 1-year site prep?

I work in the existing coply place towers and there hasnt been a whole lot of movement to report (for the 2 items noted above).

How does the Copley Mall renovation align with the Copley Place tower? Or is the timing a coincidence?

^here is your answer

Copley place to get costly redo
New storefronts,flooring, finishes
Thursday, August 13, 2015
By: Donna Goodison

Simon Property Group will embark on a major renovation of the retail component of Boston’s Copley Place and prep work for a $500 million expansion that will include a 52-story residential tower and more space for luxury retailers and restaurants at the upscale shopping mall, hotel and office complex.

Interior upgrades that will begin next month, including 16-foot storefronts, are designed for a grander, more modern retail image for tenants including Dior, Burberry, Jimmy Choo, Louis Vuitton and Salvatore Ferragamo.

“The finishes and look of this are really going to match the tenant mix we have,” said Brian Nelson, Simon’s regional vice president of New England. “Copley has been an enduring facility to this point. What’s interesting about that is it’s 30 years old, and it’s never been renovated. We think this is going to carry it forward into the future.”

New flooring, ceiling treatments, glass handrails, updated restrooms, LED lighting, upgraded escalators and a new one in the Neiman Marcus wing will be added.

The entire face of the outside area on Dartmouth Street, between the mall and Tent City apartments, also will be redone.

continued ... http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2015/08/copley_place_to_get_costly_redo

^^ Is it my mistake, or didn't Louis Vuitton do an expensive renovation of their storefront in the last 7 years?

I know its outdated but I kinda like the vibe in copley place it relaxing somehow. Feels like I'm in grandpa's condo or something

^^ Is it my mistake, or didn't Louis Vuitton do an expensive renovation of their storefront in the last 7 years?

most of the renovations was done to the interior with minor touch-ups on the outside. I know that they added the TV display near the Westin Hotel side of the shop.

Very good indeed. The article didn't indicate that there was any big prep work required underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back