COVID-19 in Boston

And most happened during the beginning of the pandemic
Youre misquoting me. I didn’t say deaths were low. I said they’ve been consistently low (20 to 50 deaths or so a day) as compared to March when 200 people died in the day. And I was talking about Massachusetts, not the entire United States.

Happy to post the graph from mass.gov\Covid for you if need it
In other words positive things are happening, and I’ve had it with you pseudo-medical experts and restauranteurs making predictions about housing demands and businesses openings.

US deaths per day are higher now than they were in the first surge. MA numbers per day are lower so what. Welcome to archboston you're a block for me

US deaths per day are higher now than they were in the first surge. MA numbers per day are lower so what. Welcome to archboston you're a block for me
So we’re talking about businesses in Massachusetts stupid.

Yea Mass isnt part of the US and the hospitals arent almost full. Now youre really blocked

They’re perilously close and will probably be at capacity in two weeks(or less) once the Christmas wave hits.

MGH: 92% ICU occupancy, 10 available beds
BWH: 86%, 15
BMC: 72%, 24
BIDMC: 90%, 8
Tufts: 77%, 15
Faulkner: 85%, 1
Carney: 94%, 0.7(tall people need not apply?)
St. Elizabeth’s: 87%, 4
Mt. Auburn: 92%, 1
Cambridge Health Alliance: 66%, 7

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-hospitals-near-you.html
I use mass.gov for accurate statistics. Seems to show that hospitalizations now are a little more than half of what they were when the pandemic started (and they did not reach capacity even when they had nearly doubled the patients back in March and April).

Attachments

• 13D93EE1-BDA8-4D3A-8968-969C80F8B3FA.png
    13D93EE1-BDA8-4D3A-8968-969C80F8B3FA.png
    801.6 KB · Views: 99
I use mass.gov for accurate statistics. Seems to show that hospitalizations now are a little more than half of what they were when the pandemic started (and they did not reach capacity even when they had nearly doubled the patients back in March and April).

Not sure why you question the above hospital info. It's from HHS which reports hospital self-assessment.

Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services data. A hospital may not appear if it does not report this data to H.H.S., if its data was reported through a parent hospital or if its location information was not available.

Not sure why you question the above hospital info. It's from HHS which reports hospital self-assessment.
Because the records are kept by the state, not the federal government. Makes sense to go straight to the source, rather than federal data compiled from states and then reported by the New York Times.

Because the records are kept by the state, not the federal government. Makes sense to go straight to the source, rather than federal data compiled from states and then reported by the New York Times.

But... don't deny the data because it runs through a middleman. It's possible for both sets of data presented to be true. You're just going out of your way to downplay the current COVID spike.

They’re perilously close and will probably be at capacity in two weeks(or less) once the Christmas wave hits.

MGH: 92% ICU occupancy, 10 available beds
BWH: 86%, 15
BMC: 72%, 24
BIDMC: 90%, 8
Tufts: 77%, 15
Faulkner: 85%, 1
Carney: 94%, 0.7(tall people need not apply?)
St. Elizabeth’s: 87%, 4
Mt. Auburn: 92%, 1
Cambridge Health Alliance: 66%, 7

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-hospitals-near-you.html
Also, pointing to several hospitals that are near capacity doesn’t mean anything because there are many other hospitals that are nowhere near capacity. They can transfer patients to different hospitals. I think it’s reassuring that we were able to handle so many more patients at the beginning of the pandemic than we have in the hospital now.

But... don't deny the data because it runs through a middleman. It's possible for both sets of data presented to be true. You're just going out of your way to downplay the current COVID spike.
My original point was that no one knows where we will be with this virus six months from now. That was the original claim, that restaurants could not open for at least six months. No one knows that. The vaccines are being administered now and they look really good. Saying that hospitals in Massachusetts are near capacity is false. We handled twice the capacity right when this started. Anecdotally, I have two people in my immediate family that are attendings in the Covid unit at MGH. When I spoke with them at Christmas they had no concerns that they would reach capacity and I did ask them about that specifically. No intention to downplay the severity of Covid, but I see reason to be optimistic.

Also, pointing to several hospitals that are near capacity doesn’t mean anything because there are many other hospitals that are nowhere near capacity. They can transfer patients to different hospitals. I think it’s reassuring that we were able to handle so many more patients at the beginning of the pandemic than we have in the hospital now.

Actually these numbers are consistent statewide which you would see if you weren’t so predictably intellectually stubborn that won’t even click on a link to the Times. Since this is a Boston centric forum though and most of us would go to one of those hospitals, those are the ones I chose to list. Beyond that, would you really want to have to be transferred from a Boston teaching hospital to some community hospital in the sticks that can’t offer the same standard of care?

Oh, I'm not front line by any stretch, but thank you. That wasn't the intent of the post, merely to point out some of us legitimately won't have a choice when it comes through. Flu shots have always been "mandatory" but this is the first year they've threatened actual termination for not getting one.
Just to follow up, got my first dose this afternoon. 2nd dose is scheduled as well. Distribution to high risk patients begins tomorrow and will continue as the supply comes in.

well if you want to cite to an actual source that shows hospitals are near capacity state wide I’m happy to look at it. Of course you can’t because that isn’t true. I just posted the states data showing hospitalizations. You must be one of those people that thinks kids shouldn’t be in school either. Interesting how people can ignore statistic when it suits them. Looking forward to you posting a source to back up here theory.

well if you want to cite to an actual source that shows hospitals are near capacity state wide I’m happy to look at it. Of course you can’t because that isn’t true. I just posted the states data showing hospitalizations. You must be one of those people that thinks kids shouldn’t be in school either. Interesting how people can ignore statistic when it suits them. Looking forward to you posting a source to back up here theory.

I provided a source and whether you want to believe that source is entirely your prerogative. If you have a source that runs counter to mine then go ahead and share it.

I'm the type who on matters of public health and medicine in general defers to the informed opinions and experience of physicians and public health leaders. I don't have an opinion on whether children should be in school other than to say that if those decisions are made in consultation with experts then I have no reason to question them.

The Mayor said in his announcement today about COVID rates in the city that adult non-surg ICU beds in city hospitals are at 93% capacity.

Back