Dock Square Parking Garage | 20 Clinton Street | Downtown

Re: Dock Square Parking Garage | 20 Clinton Street |

The initial proposal had the faint aroma of BIG, dumbed down for small-minded Boston. As currently proposed, it's taken on some resemblance to one of the Back Bay's most reviled examples of Post-Modernism.

Lose the garage and put up a proper urban building (with no height or stylistic preference) or get lost...

Their first proposal kept the garage as the podium. Their latest proposal at least brought the building to street-level on the Faneuil Hall side.

But I agree that the garage needs to go. No excuse to cheap out and keep it in that location.

Lose the garage and put up a proper urban building (with no height or stylistic preference) or get lost...
So keep the garage forever then. Seems like a suboptimal outcome versus building housing and removing some of the parking to me.

The renderings with Quincy Market actually look better with the original taller design. You can see a greater part of the building, creating more of a draw-in effect when compared with the shorter one, which looks incomplete and totally blends in with the background.

The Developers should withdraw their proposal.

This is outrageous.

That is...embarrassing. And quite a commentary on Boston's reputation. "Just make it shorter! That'll get 'em!"

At the meeting for the final approval of 40 Trinity, i whispered to myself, 'if the developer is being truthful (no reason to think they aren't) this is too close to non-profitability. If the costs... nope. won't be the least bit surprised if it never gets built.'

i commented to such effect at the time on aB.

Rinse/repeat in Back Bay, Downtown, Air Rights, etc in far too many major impact projects.

Not in every case. But there are too many examples of the BCDC not pushing good design, but squat/VE'd design. Just once i want to hear the BCDC say, 'build taller if it will improve the public benefit,' instead of being a stumbling-block contributing to institutional dysfunction. And projects either delayed for years, or not getting done.

Unresolved parcels in iconic neighborhoods extending in perpetuity is dysfunction.

If they give this the OK, we'll end up with a bigger version of this at the Harbor Garage. Absolutely terrible.

If they give this the OK, we'll end up with a bigger version of this at the Harbor Garage. Absolutely terrible.

I doubt that as long as Chiofaro owns it. He doesn't seem like the type for stumpy apartments.

Is this the garage located on the Greenway?
Yes.

Does anyone get the pearl reference?

I took it to be the shape of the building with the park as the pearl on the roof.

yeesh...typical Boston. Goes from some cool/edgy design to bland and clunky.

The building; what a ____ing TURD.

The process; what a ____ing joke.

If it pisses you off, then I like it.

Is this proposal for the garage near Aquarium or the old Jillians Restaurant & bar?

Is this proposal for the garage near Aquarium or the old Jillians Restaurant & bar?

There's an address in the thread title and this thing called Google Maps.

These above garages all need to be knocked down.

Dock Square Parking garage is in such a historical area to incorporate an above garage structure into a development with the amount of history this city offers is truly a sin.

The city is making a big mistake. :sad:

Back