Dorm Tower @ Berklee College of Music | 168 Mass Ave | Back Bay

Re: Berklee Expansion Plans

Since the thread is bumped they've stopped installation of the panels. They've been playing with the glass on the 5th floor but progress quit again. Flabbergasted at the time it's taking.

This whole thing is a complete disaster for everyone evolved.

cca

^Who's to blame? Did Berklee not do due diligence on their contractors?

Well ... that would fall to the construction managers to look into the health of their subcontractors. Berklee does not have much to do with the problem unless you want to just push the blame downhill and say Berklee should have chosen a better CM. Lee Kennedy is no fly-by-night organization so that is a tough argument. These days the architect has little to no choice in CM's or subcontractors so there is not much to blame there.

Ultimately, this kind of thing is like when the air traffic control system is so tightly organized, one storm can send the whole system into disarray. That is what seems to be happening here. One key sub has stalled the whole endeavor.

cca

If you want to ask some questions about the project and belong to (or join) ULI, you have an opportunity tomorrow:

June Member Lunch with Roger Brown, President, Berklee College of Music

Start: June 13, 2013 11:45 am
End: June 13, 2013 1:00 pm
Organizer: ULI Boston
Phone: 617-239-0124
Email: email]boston@uli.org[/email]
Venue: Brown Rudnick
Address: One Financial Center, Boston, MA, 02111, United States

Roger H. Brown brings a rich array of professional and life experiences to his job. Skills accrued playing recording sessions as a drummer in New York, administering United Nations humanitarian operations in Southeast Asia and Africa, and founding a company with his wife that now employs 22,000 people and serves more than 80,000 families have contributed to his effective leadership at the world’s largest college of contemporary music.

In 1986 Brown and wife Linda Mason launched Bright Horizons, now the largest worldwide provider of worksite child care and early education. Bright Horizons operates more than 750 high-quality child development centers for employers in 45 states, Europe, and India.

After 16 years of successfully leading Bright Horizons, Brown decided to turn his sights to higher education and accepted the position as Berklee’s third chief executive.

In 2007, Brown launched Giant Steps, Berklee’s first capital campaign, and the college raised more than $50 million. He has overseen the expansion of the City Music Program beyond Boston in an effort to provide educational opportunities for talented but economically disadvantaged urban youth. The program now has partners in cities across America. As well, Brown has led Berklee to adopt a more selective admissions policy that requires an interview and audition for all applicants to the college. Along with that effort, Brown oversaw the creation of a new advising program to support all entering students.

Brown has helped the college enhance the student experience by establishing semester-abroad programs and by expanding the Boston campus through real estate acquisitions and the construction of a 16-story facility on Massachusetts Avenue.

Members Only.

Registration Fees
Members Only​
Join Today and attend for Free!​
Private Sector
$65​
$420​
Public Sector/Nonprofit
$50​
$225​
Young Leader (under 35)
$40​
$265​
Student (full-time)
$30​
$90​

The panels are kind of gross. I'm not sure if they're trying to be ironically contextual with the lowrise next door.

Let's transmute better than a parking lot into better than precast...?

Yeah, this material looks a lot like industrial corrugated metal. Initially this design was supposed to incorporate fancy custom-manufactured gold-colored metallic panels. There was a video put out by Berklee posted up-thread that featured William Rawn, the building's architect, displaying and talking at length about these panels. Unfortunately that video is no longer available, but the difference between that and what we ended up with here is pretty extreme.

The floorplans are all posted on the Berklee 160 site.

Here's the ground floor (which is generally what we care about most):
Screenshot2013-06-15at235632_zps62b3acfa.png

All floors -- http://www.berklee.edu/Berklee160/floorplans.html

I didn't know they included street-level retail, and a good amount at that. I can totally live with the questionable cladding in light of that. And who knows, that cladding actually might end up kinda interesting. At least it aint precast.

15 stories of industrial corrugated warehouse metal and windows? You have got to be kidding me? No wonder there are some many god damned NIMBY's in Boston - they're trying to protect their eyes.

The paneling looks so insane that I might just end up loving it. (See also: Mass Art's new dorm)

Last edited:

well heres another piece of garbage to add to the mix, this is getting old, I dont get why they dont just cover these buildings in glass instead to make them bland but not some hideous precast or whatever this thing is made of.

Yeah... quite a change:
160_Mass_Ave_Twitter_icon.jpg

to:
content-berklee160-160.jpg

After this I wonder if the tower at Mass Ave and Boylston will ever happen...

Last edited:

Not if some of us neighbors have anything to do about it. Strange day when I'm in league with NABB.

I don't think anybody at Berklee is happy about this, but it's a matter of cost - they very seriously overextended themselves as it is...
I don't see new tower happening in a foreseeable future...

The floorplans are all posted on the Berklee 160 site.

Here's the ground floor (which is generally what we care about most):
Screenshot2013-06-15at235632_zps62b3acfa.png

All floors -- http://www.berklee.edu/Berklee160/floorplans.html

And as others have said, the second floor will also do a lot to animate this building:

xoj.png

And who knows, that cladding actually might end up kinda interesting. At least it aint precast.

I'm with you. I'm not hating it so far, and I'm thinking it could actually end up looking pretty cool, all 15ish stories of it. We'll see.

Back