Dorm Tower @ Berklee College of Music | 168 Mass Ave | Back Bay

Re: Berklee Expansion Plans

The paneling looks so insane that I might just end up loving it. (See also: Mass Art's new dorm)

I'm just glad I'm not the guy who's going to have to wash all 15 stories of those tiny independent window panes.

MassArt at least has color though. This could turn out looking like a cardboard box, but we will see when it is finished. I don't hate it, but I'm wary about how it could turn out.

What I am still awe-struck over is that they actually are putting the loft windows in. I was certain those would be the first things VE'd out. The aesthetic both from the street and inside the room is just incredible. The natural light will hopefully inspire some amazing music to be written.

What I am still awe-struck over is that they actually are putting the loft windows in. I was certain those would be the first things VE'd out.

Yeah how in the hell did those survive?

I'm guessing the paneling was a bigger cost issue than the windows.

Yeah... quite a change:
160_Mass_Ave_Twitter_icon.jpg

to:
content-berklee160-160.jpg

After this I wonder if the tower at Mass Ave and Boylston will ever happen...

Oh, crap! I really didn't need to see this today!

That lower picture has been the plan for a WHILE. They didn't sneak it in under the radar. I've seen the silver version posted here many times.

Problem is it's champagne IRL.

Well yeah. I was referring more to those who acted as though the updated rendering was this surprise foisted upon us.

Somewhere in Woburn, 1 story industrial buildings are missing their corrugated aluminum siding....

That lower picture has been the plan for a WHILE. They didn't sneak it in under the radar. I've seen the silver version posted here many times.

I guess I didn't really look at them. My eyes probably figured that without the watercolor effect it was just super shiny or something.

While it's not as exciting as it was with the copperish panels, I think those windows are going to make the building, even if the cladding is kind of half assed. They are recessed nicely and along with the corrugated panels there should be some pretty great shadow lines.

Edit: Looking at the IRL pictures, I wish the glass was more purple instead of teal. That would contrast amazingly with the silver paneling

Somewhere in Woburn, 1 story industrial buildings are missing their corrugated aluminum siding....

I'm going to give them props for trying something different. We'll see how the end result pans out. With so many projects using the same tired motifs over and over again, it's difficult for me to hate on this.

It's already mostly Orange...

Maybe they saw some far off shots of the New Museum in NYC...

new-museum.jpg

But then didn't get up close to see the quality of materials....

new_museum_v4_460x285.jpg

Still just one row of cladding. A little too soon to judge.

Remind me again the use of this building. Dorms? Those are odd windows for dorms...

Remind me again the use of this building. Dorms? Those are odd windows for dorms...

Dorm tower with a performance space/cafeteria in the pedestal. State-of-the-art reharsal/classrooms underground.

And yes, yes they are. I've been shocked that they are using loft windows for dorms too.

This is Berklee - the music school. I'd be surprised if their dormitories weren't atypical among traditional college dorm designs. I know it's early, but I think the industrial/loft facade design is pretty cool. Very fitting considering the future occupants for these rooms.

Back