Dorm Tower @ Berklee College of Music | 168 Mass Ave | Back Bay

Re: Berklee Expansion Plans

Today the crane and elevator were moving, and a bunch of workers on site. Progress finally?

2013-04-30_14-57-06_416_zpsa0499f4a.jpg

Last edited:

Do the crane and elevator were moving, and a bunch of workers on site. Progress finally?

if the crane was moving that is definitely great news because I have not seen that crane move an inch in months.

A student I know at Berklee who does the phone-a-thons (i.e. calling alums for money) found out last week that the move-in date for the building has been bumped to January 2014 from Fall 2013. [no surprise to this board, of course]

if the crane was moving that is definitely great news because I have not seen that crane move an inch in months.

This. I've seen the elevator moving, though, quite frequently. There's obviously quite the bit of activity. But nothing that could otherwise move forward with no windows.

I was waiting for a panel they were lifting with the crane to get off the ground, but after standing on the corner for ~10 minutes watching them lift it up a few feet then put it down again I just snapped that pic and walked away. It didn't look like glazing though, but it was def some large type of assembly.

Still, movement is movement. This thing is starting to show signs of its stagnation, the temp walls and scaffolding and such are getting dirty and rusty. They need to finish it.

Whoa that is some psychedelic neon greenery in that last pic.

Ever seen Berklee's new building....ON WEED?

I was hoping someone would comment on that pic! What you see is almost all original....I just brightened it up a touch, added a little vignetting and voila--trippyworld!

Is that normal for a building to have that insulation stuff on the inside? On the exterior walls, sure, everywhere has it... but inside?

I'm thoroughly confused by that too. It doesn't look like there's any room for the actual dorm rooms. I'm guessing all that is temporary (so they can build out the interior) until the curtain wall is installed and everything is properly sealed??

Leftover from the other day:

8717195026_64ca94cba8_b.jpg

And I still don't get the commie comment....it's gotta be a reference to a movie or something, but which I do not know.

I'm thoroughly confused by that too. It doesn't look like there's any room for the actual dorm rooms. I'm guessing all that is temporary (so they can build out the interior) until the curtain wall is installed and everything is properly sealed??

One of the guys told me it's temporary. If you're close enough you can see it's only about 3 ft from the edge of the building. Presumably the dorm rooms (quick to finish) are on the exterior walls and bathrooms, stairs and elevators (longer construction times) are in the windowless interior so they kept working behind this. There are plenty of people coming to the site in the mornings I know that from my walks.

Many of the pink panels arrived over the weekend. A few are on trucks along Mass Ave and two are propped up in the alley closest to St. Cecilia's parish. Interested in how they will look installed.

Saw they have some panels attached on the alley walls today.

They didn't stay up long. They took them down today. lol, wtf Berklee

EDTI: Saturday they put one back on that they took down Friday. wtf

Last edited:

I drove by this a few days ago and noticed a crane lifting a gridded glass panel over Mass Ave. Though reading this thread not sure if it was being put into place or taken down!

Back