Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

That awning has saved me a good 10-15 times from being soaked.
Requiring buildings to have awnings would really help with walkability, when it, you know, rains or snows. Shoulda been part of the Boston 2030 plan

John Keith reporting that 399 Washington (B&N building) has been sold for $63 million.

Earlier globe story:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...wn-crossing/eVG8fCzv2N123hSxd3Y8cP/story.html

DC93gkpV0AA59VL.jpg:large

Last edited:
http://bostonrealestatetimes.com/l3...national-to-lease-downtown-crossing-landmark/

“We are beyond excited to publicly introduce this incredible opportunity to the market,” noted Montesanto. “Given its proximity to the Millennium Tower and the exciting tenants who accompanied that ‘game-changing’ project, we anticipate tremendous interest from flagship retailers and innovative companies drawn to the vibrancy and accessibility of DTX.”

DTX399 comprises over 77,000 square feet – six levels of prime retail and creative office space atop one of the City’s most active street corridors. As a nod to the building’s unique architecture, the redevelopment – commencing summer 2017 – will maintain several existing attributes while juxtaposing a sleek, contemporary flare to the street and second levels of the building, and implementing a complete overhaul of both interior and exterior building systems.

DTX399-e1498184934499.jpg

And work is starting in Summer 2017! So, like, now! I'm more excited about this then plenty of the imagined supertalls people salivate over.

Maybe the rumor of H&M moving in there isn't fully dead...

I don't know how much of the original interior remains if any, but assuming that it has been completely gutted over the years, I wouldn't have objected to a facadectomy with a tasteful tower above (behind?).

I'm being picky, but does anyone else feel like the transition from floors 2 to 3 is a bit odd? I feel like the first 5ft of the 3rd floor is swallowed up by the facade of the lower floors. Also, anyone know of a historical photo of this building, or at least pre-B&N?

If this project were just a year or two earlier, the office component would've been a cool space for the Globe. Right by the old newspaper row...

I don't know how much of the original interior remains if any, but assuming that it has been completely gutted over the years, I wouldn't have objected to a facadectomy with a tasteful tower above (behind?).

A tower here would likely get tied up in all of the same issues as One Bromfield, especially vehicular access. If I were LaSalle I'd also just want to fix it up, lease it up, and start banking checks.

The fact that it has (likely) been gutted over the years should simplify this round of renovations.

I'm being picky, but does anyone else feel like the transition from floors 2 to 3 is a bit odd? I feel like the first 5ft of the 3rd floor is swallowed up by the facade of the lower floors.

Yeah, but they have to work with what they have. The render is way better than what's there now.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, the blank facade predates B&N by quite a bit. I can't find anything prior to this photo though.

KL_000648_cp.jpg

Photo Source

I always seem to forget the Orpheum entrance used to be on Washington St.

They should move it back to Washington, where all the action is! I've always thought that the Hamilton Pl entrance off Tremont St was so trashy looking, especially with the gaudy Corner Mall facade.

Yeah, but they have to work with what they have. The render is way better than what's there now.
In my mind it's like those run down Victorian's that are falling apart. Eventually someone renovates them, removes all the detail and covers them in vinyl siding. You'd prefer the old run down version because at least there was hope of something great to come.

Back