Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

Wasn't that basically "Felt's" concept before they got shut down due to license shenanigans?

Felt was a nightclub with pool tables. It was always geared more towards the nightclub/DJ aspect and less toward the pool. By the end, the pool was a complete afterthought there.

Felt was pretty meh. Stoddards is nice. We should do an ArchBoston meet and greet sometime. I feel like a lot of us are in the area either for work or living.

^ Last meetup was a year and a half ago and we're due for another!

Now if only Macy's would get a re-do, and preferably get replaced by a department store that's doing more than scraping by....

No doubt about it, Macy's is in dire need of a "re-do"... but to claim they are just "scraping by" completely flies in the face of all anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

I walk through there frequently throughout the workweek going to different parts of downtown. It is always busy with customers, at all hours. People start lining up well before the 10 am open, too, if you haven't noticed.

Based on all that, I'm quite confident they're doing killer business. In fact, I bet they're one of the top 5 performing Macy's in the country... seriously, where else other than in Manhattan would another Macy's store be doing better?

I bet they're one of the top 5 performing Macy's in the country... seriously, where else other than in Manhattan would another Macy's store be doing better?
You're correct. The DTX Macy*s ranks at the top of the company, in the ranks of Herald Square in sales volume along with Chicago (Marshall Fields).

You're correct. The DTX Macy*s ranks at the top of the company, in the ranks of Herald Square in sales volume along with Chicago (Marshall Fields).

If that's the case, it'd be nice for the architecture of the store to reflect that. I'm sure it did when it was brandy-ass new, but it's just a wall at this point.

I believe there was a stat released at some point that the DTX mens department occasionally outsells Herald Square.

It would be nice if they put a little bakery along one of those walls and sold blueberry muffins. They'd make a killing.

I believe there was a stat released at some point that the DTX mens department occasionally outsells Herald Square.

It would be nice if they put a little bakery along one of those walls and sold blueberry muffins. They'd make a killing.

I see what you did there

I thought the DTX Macy's exists mostly for the revenue from the telecom hotel on the upper floors these days.

13731153944_9e8bce93fb_b.jpg

13730782803_a0ac0591cf_b.jpg

Re: Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Any chance the parking garage across the street could be built over/have significant stories of office, res, etc. added on top?

^been wishing for that for decades lol!

Any chance the parking garage across the street could be built over/have significant stories of office, res, etc. added on top?

It seems like they intended a tower to be put on top of Woolworth's. The center of the garage is actually a void, which leads to suspicions that it was meant to eventually accommodate a core. You can easily throw some banks of elevators and stairs in there and have an awesome tower.

That one and the one down the street. Structures that are solely used for above ground parking are a waste of space in my mind.

If nothing could be built on top, it'd be nice to see something placed on the facade. Some kind of artwork, or the faces could be used for add space, preferably LED signs. I think the added light in DTX would make for a better night scene down there, cause people are like moths.

Didn't 33 Arch kinda do exactly what nico is asking for? Either way there's plenty of room for more.

Didn't 33 Arch kinda do exactly what nico is asking for? Either way there's plenty of room for more.

33 Arch very slightly cantilevers over the garage, but is unrelated to the garage itself in physical form.

*Edit: I stand corrected. The garage levels are braced.

Last edited:

33 Arch very slightly cantilevers over the garage, but is unrelated to the garage itself in physical form.

You enter this garage thru 33 Arch, they share floors up thru the 5th or 6th level. That cantilever is something like 59 or 60 ft and pretty badass. When walking by from Franklin, if you look closely, the braced frame to carry that cantilever is a monster

You enter this garage thru 33 Arch, they share floors up thru the 5th or 6th level. That cantilever is something like 59 or 60 ft and pretty badass. When walking by from Franklin, if you look closely, the braced frame to carry that cantilever is a monster

There's a great view on level 9 where you can see the under the cantilever. Definitely neat and worth checking out if you haven't before.

Weidlinger (Structural Engineer) provides more detail on the project: http://www.wai.com/project.aspx?id=1323&type=100

Perhaps this discussion about a tower on top of Woolworth's/The Garage at 33 Arch St should be taken to the DTX thread though.

Back