Downtown Crossing/Financial District | Discussion

From earlier this hour - Starbucks renovation on Winter St is coming along nicely. They're stepping up their coffee game according to baristas at the recently refurbished 2nd floor coffee bar at the main Harvard Square store. They'll be offering pour over, french press, and siphon in addition to their Clover brewing machine.

Also there's jersey barriers on Tremont St around Winter St. Unsure what's going on here; BPD officer gave me an attitude when I asked: don't know, don't care.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...tt-seeks-to-debut-luxury-brand-in-boston.html

Wasn't sure where to exactly post this, but I found it interesting that they're looking at properties in and around downtown. I've wondered when they would bring the JW brand to Boston but had been told it might be a while since the Marriott/Starwood merger leaves a ton of properties for the combined company across the city. Curious if they would look to be a part of the Winthrop Sq. development or be the hotel component for the Garden trio of towers.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...tt-seeks-to-debut-luxury-brand-in-boston.html

Wasn't sure where to exactly post this, but I found it interesting that they're looking at properties in and around downtown. I've wondered when they would bring the JW brand to Boston but had been told it might be a while since the Marriott/Starwood merger leaves a ton of properties for the combined company across the city. Curious if they would look to be a part of the Winthrop Sq. development or be the hotel component for the Garden trio of towers.

There have been hints that the Hub on Causeway hotel will be a CitizenM.

Per DigitalSciGuy's question from June: The T is rebuilding the elevator on that side of Tremont St. It's going to be out of commission until next June.

Per DigitalSciGuy's question from June: The T is rebuilding the elevator on that side of Tremont St. It's going to be out of commission until next June.

Ha. If it goes anything like the elevator they built across the street it won't be operational until June of 2019.

If you look closely, you can see they finally finished fixing all of the detailed plaster work below the vertical lighting.

Interesting.

I was disappointed when this was turned into housing, several years back. Not that it wasn't needed, just that the building seems "wasted" as apartments. I don't know what a better alternative would have been (certainly not a state office, lol). I dunno - a museum?

I also found it odd that anyone would want to live there. Yes, there are plenty of apartment buildings around there, as well as college dormitories, but it's a low-rise and that's a pretty damn busy intersection. What pleasure is there in looking out those windows, hearing the buses and Orange Line, etc.

On the bright side, the clients of St. Francis House will hook you up with some sweet drugs. Just step outside.

That last "restoration" for the Registry hacked the windows and pediments.

The last renovation 'hacked' it?!? Did you remember what it looked like before the Registry moved in? A dump!
4194625549_60217eacb7.jpg

I also found it odd that anyone would want to live there. Yes, there are plenty of apartment buildings around there, as well as college dormitories, but it's a low-rise and that's a pretty damn busy intersection. What pleasure is there in looking out those windows, hearing the buses and Orange Line, etc.

This is called living in the city. A lot of people do indeed want to live in the city.

The last renovation 'hacked' it?!? Did you remember what it looked like before the Registry moved in? A dump!
4194625549_60217eacb7.jpg
Thanks for that. That's some epic (seedy) urban grit.

I stand corrected. The last "restoration" did not hack off the pediments above the windows. What confused me was my recollection of being disappointed at the bad job that was done at the time. The details fell off on their own, and have never been replaced!

And when I look at the building now, there is just something about the windows that seems off.

The St Francis patrons don't really bother anyone. You live in the city, you get city experiences! Hasn't hurt the Avery St residents. But it will take a dedicated urbanist to want to be this close to the action, as opposed to living many floors up!

Thanks for that. That's some epic (seedy) urban grit.
And don't let the late-80s auto & van fool you: the Liberty Tree Building still looked that way right up until the Registry renovated it (c.1998?) because the Registry was displaced by the Leverett Connector.

Back