East Boston Infill and Small Developments

I love how East Boston is very different than most Boston neighborhoods. It honestly reminds me of NYC. Damn near all of the buildings are brick and they all abut each other. Not a ton of brownstones, just brick apartments/houses. Then add in the fact that it is essentially an island across the water from downtown kind of like one of the boroughs, with a gridded street layout and the roads all point towards downtown so the skyline looms over the end of the roads. Very cool and unique neighborhood which is another asset of Boston.

Theres so many unique neighborhoods from the upscale exclusive ones, to the very poor boarded up window triple deckers, to the renovated triple deckers, over to the back bay/south end/ fenway with rows of brownstones, to the lower western neighborhoods with real houses with yards, and even further out you have mansions with acres of property. Greast diversity of neighborhoods within this city and I like the way east boston adds to that.

Last edited:
^^ Just so long as they don't mess with the interior too much. I was sad when the replaced the tables and chairs almost twenty years ago. I still miss the mismatched plates and silverware purloined from airline kitchens, and the babyfood jars of hot pepper and Parmesan...

I've lived in boston for over 30 yrs and still have not had their pizza! I so wanted to stop yesterday as I was starving but there's no parking that I could see? Some more pics from the waterfront >

I've lived in boston for over 30 yrs and still have not had their pizza! I so wanted to stop yesterday as I was starving but there's no parking that I could see?

There's almost always parking somewhere on Chelsea, Bremen, or Porter Streets, as well as under the 1A overpass... I've never had to park more than a block away from Santarpio's. That said, I wonder if they temporarily closed the restaurant while they reface the building--it looks like they may have.

On a somewhat related note, I finally ate at Rino's last night. Their layered eggplant special and chicken parmigiana were amazing! :)

Thanks I've been driving by that building 2-3 times a month for 32 years for work and every time I come to that intersection I say I've got to eat there someday look around all no parking signs so I just loop around and head to the toll booths 😐

Nice renovation of this park and great views also.

https://flic.kr/p/KoWGaN

https://flic.kr/p/JBXext

An interesting feature is that at high tide water rises up a ramp into this circle.
https://flic.kr/p/KoWPSm

Now all they need is a sculpture atop the spit. A mermaid or nemo perhaps??

Beeline -- I'd go with a large Poseidon [aka Neptune]
SC70073.jpg
-- then the folks will have choice: a grand outdoor Neptune in Eastie versus an indoor Giant Juno at the MFA
juno3.jpg

When you look at the Map from 1628 you see two things immediately:

Boston was almost all water [especially Eastie]

and the old saying about how mismatched the names are with the geography
The North-East-South-West Thing:

Southie is South Boston. The South End is the South End.
Eastie is East Boston. The North End is east of the West End.
The West End and Scollay Square are no more—a guy named Rappaport got rid of them one night. The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South Boston, which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End. Back Bay was filled in years ago.

So -- Eastie is really Northie and Southie is really Westie ;) :D :cool:

I had hoped to be able to move back to Eastie, but I think I'll be happy moving to my new apt in Brighton. With the housing authority, you go wherever there's an apartment available, or you go back to the end of the line, start all over again & wait another extremely long time again! :cool:

Last edited:
Evidence that Bridgewater State Hospital is now offering a degree program in Architecture.

Although I'm not a person who's particularly in favor of censorship or political correctness (within regular Liberal reason), I take some umbrage in this comment... The remark being the people who are severely mentally ill would make terrible architecture is unkind to those people and reinforces a negative stigma that they deal with every day... by extension, taking a group with little voice or power in the public discourse and using them for a laugh... I'm not trying to call you out because I appreciate your posts a lot and know you're a reasonable person, but I wanted to express my thoughts on this because we can hurt others without meaning to.

Edit --- PS --- I agree with your assessment of the render... Hideous.

Depending on the mental illness, someone could still create something functional but beautiful in a way "normal" people wouldn't be able to think of on their own. You just might not want to be in a relationship with them. (Source: having dated 3 bipolar guys, 2 of which ended up in psych wards)

Back