Eli Lilly IGM | 15 Necco Street | Fort Point

Heres a couple renders of the new design I havent seen.
2021_12_13_15_Necco_Bridge-scaled.jpg

2021_12_13_15_Necco_Aerial-scaled.jpg

https://natdev.com/project/15-necco/

Im kinda holding my breath on this one. The proposed project just next door looks very very good, but this building Ive always felt has an awkward massing. Going to hold off judgement until its finished and wait to see how it works with the buildings next door, hopefully it comes across better in real life.

Im kinda holding my breath on this one. The proposed project just next door looks very very good, but this building Ive always felt has an awkward massing. Going to hold off judgement until its finished and wait to see how it works with the buildings next door, hopefully it comes across better in real life.

Totally agree with you here! I felt the original GE proposal with the "solar shade" was kind of cool, but this massing just seems awkward.

I’m still hung up with how thick this elevator core is. It takes up almost … 1/9th (if you divide the floor plate into a 3x3 sq grid) of the floor plate area. Seems like a lot, especially for a 12 story bldg. Or is that typical?

3768A0A4-4664-4899-BCA9-EB40005FCB8C.jpeg
8DB2FB14-BB74-45B2-A41D-8136E0C7D7D6.jpeg
3BCB9CBB-6773-4D53-8AE0-273C58112EC7.jpeg
1B23FF45-20E6-4030-9B18-8AED708BEE06.jpeg

Otherwise, I’m into it!

Last edited:
I’m still hung up with how thick this elevator core is. It takes up almost … 1/9th (if you divide the floor plate into a 3x3 sq grid) of the floor plate area. Seems like a lot, especially for a 12 story bldg. Or is that typical?

View attachment 24207View attachment 24208View attachment 24209View attachment 24210

Otherwise, I’m into it!
I would imagine it's due to the large cantilever and also the fact that this site probably has high wind loads - cores provide significant lateral support for the rest of the structure. Just a guess though

View attachment 24207View attachment 24208View attachment 24209View attachment 24210

Otherwise, I’m into it!
It looks like both egress stairs are included in between the two elevators which takes a lot of floor space. This combined core allows for an open floor plate and a 360 degree view. I'm assuming, I have not seen the plans.

Otherwise, I’m into it!

Welcome to lab buildings. The cores are enormous for all of the elevators (tenants want private service elevators to protect intellectual property) and for the amazing amount of duct work they need--so the core will be even larger than this structure.

I'm excited that this side of the channel is being developed. Now if we could relocate the Post Office facility, utilize that land and add a footbridge or two across the channel, it would make it a really special area. I'm thinking a modern take on the Amsterdam or Copenhagen canals.

I'm excited that this side of the channel is being developed. Now if we could relocate the Post Office facility, utilize that land and add a footbridge or two across the channel, it would make it a really special area. I'm thinking a modern take on the Amsterdam or Copenhagen canals.

There's just one little problem - the Postal Service doesn't want to leave. They got a giant parking lot plus their little training spot near the convention center too.

utilize that land and add a footbridge or two across the channel, it would make it a really special area. I'm thinking a modern take on the Amsterdam or Copenhagen canals.

Darling Harbor and the Pyrmont Bridge in Sydney could be a good model. I feel like it’s a similar kind of geography to Fort Point Channel.

There's just one little problem - the Postal Service doesn't want to leave. They got a giant parking lot plus their little training spot near the convention center too.

We got Mahty in the Cabinet; he can't make some calls? If I were Mayor turned Secretary of Labor, I'd maybe pick this up as a little pet project....

Back