Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

So to bring the convo back to my original issue from this morning - do any architects/engineers have any solutions to the rusting of the concrete panels? It looks pretty bad up close. Is this natural and expected, or is it something that is going to be washed off prior to opening? Or is this just how the building is going to look in perpetuity?

It looks god awful up close, I have to imagine once the building is finished the panels will be prepped/primed or something. Anyone have any ideas/clues or seen this before?

The stains are not from the precast panel itself, but from the exposed structural steel that was above the precast. This is a scheduling issue, they put precast up to a certain height and left steel above it for a long time before they came back with the new precast to close it all up. I think they will have to sandblast it to take it off. They must be planning to do that, because it looks awful.

Look at Park Lane. This developer ain't washing that rust off. We'll have a brand new building that will open with a 1980s vintage patina. It's the side facing the ocean, I was alarmed at the site of it, it's very blatant, red strips dripping down on the concrete all over the facade.

As if this Menino Stump isn't bad enough as designed!

(This is me when I've had too much to drink! I'm usually nicer, I swear!)

Here's some pictures of the Race Village set-up.

2mhfmfo.jpg

dmurk3.jpg

2f0erud.jpg

rk6bo4.jpg

10yq8o0.jpg

sno4l5.jpg

Puma is still in 5th, 43 miles behind 1st, 8 miles behind 2nd, 3561 miles to Boston. Just rounded Fernando de Noronha. Go PUMA!

That glass quonset hut with the wooden beams is better architecture than 99% of the recent or under-construction Seaport.

Imagine a neighborhood of duplex rowhouses shaped like that on a dense network of streets laced with canals...that would be a "new Back Bay".

I could be mistaken but that may be the Team Ericsson HQ. Either that or the Volvo Race Center for the media and the podium and such. Ericsson has had some pretty HQ's in the past, I'll try to find pics.

I'm imagining it, and it rocks.

EDIT: After looking at the site plan here (pdf) that building is either the Port Sponsor Pavillion, the Catering Pavillion, or perhaps the Volvo Exhibition. Looks fairly Swedish...

Also, if you want to really get a feel for the level of competition and difficulty in this race, and the rest of the experience on shore, the Fallon website has a very good video of the current race on their splash page.

Volvo Ocean Race at Fan Pier Boston

Last edited:
So who lost their monthly parking space?

So who lost their monthly parking space?

My guess is nobody - all those parking lots never seem to fill up during the day, so anyone who liked that lot before is probably just parking in a different one.

That makes sense, since they can't attract tenants to any more buildings, and they're going to want to pull out all the stops amenity-wise to get more in the building currently u/c.

I think the park/building ratio in the Seaport is now officially 1:1.

Great pics. Thanks. Was that a sales meet?

They'll be so jealous watching the rich hipsters on their rooftop patios at FP3. PUMA City looked cool reflected in the glass of the ICA. And Avante (the practice PUMA boat, on the stand) makes me so nostalgic. Oh, the days when PUMA had just begun...

From up high, and when they are full like that. Those parking lots really are sickening. It's like driving by the Quirk Shipyard.

I never actually thought the views would be that good. The harbor islands are a good addition, wasn't sure if this was tall enough for that.

So right now, it's an unspectacular building with spectacular views.

Yea those views are amazing. Hopefully the other parts of this project will be built relatively soon, along with the McCourt Parcels...any idea when those are scheduled to start, if ever?

Back