Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

Seaport Square (McCourt Parcels) is going through MEPA filing for the full build out. I believe at least 2 buildings are fully designed, and the hope is still to get Phase 1 moving later this year I believe. All subject to change.

Nice, well that's some good news to hear. I didn't realize the buildings from the earlier McCourt presentations were just filler-designs and weren't the actual design for the project.

From the Volvo Ocean Race website:

Friday 24 April 2009, 19:00 GMT

By Riath Al-Samarrai

The circus is in town and the big hitters of Boston dropped in to Fan Pier today to see shore crews, logisticians and event organisers juggle the components that make up a race village.

Mayor Thomas Menino was the guest of honour, joining stopover manager Peter Craig and Joe Fallon, the Fan Pier property developer in emphasising the significance of the race's only North American port.

"There is a lot of excitement building in our city," said Mayor Menino. "People say, ?What about this Volvo Ocean Race? What is it like? When does it start?' I think this event will be spectacular."

To give a glimpse of the local interest, he gave some figures.

"Hundreds of thousands of people will be here," he added. "We expect tens of millions of dollars of economic opportunities for the state.

"It is all going to be free and I want everyone to join us in this international event.

"I was informed this morning there are 20,000 heads on beds already booked. That's a lot of people coming to our city. It's going to be very special.

"People will celebrate Boston's maritime history and embrace our city's future. Right down here (at the waterfront) is our city's future."

To that end, a lot is promised at the three million-square feet site, a mixed-use green development spanning nine city blocks on 21 acres. Three class-A office buildings are in the offing, as well as one million square feet of luxury residential property and a 175-room hotel. Added to a six-acre deep water marina and four-and-a-half acres of public parks, it will be quite a facelift in the coming years.

In the meantime, Fallon is promising a rare experience for race spectators.

"No where else in the world is situated like this where the boats are going to race right in front of us," he said. "Everyone in the city is going to see it."

Thereafter, Fallon and Craig and led journalists on a tour of the race village, which opens tomorrow and is free of charge.

They entered the race simulator, taking in dramatic footage of the race, and visited the commercial and operational hot spots. All the while, fork lifts hauled stages around and flags were raised.

The main attractions are still en route and Mayor Menino is excited. "I can't wait to see them come in," he said, in anticipation of the arrival of the fleet. "But don't expect me to be here for the 2am ones."

Link

Also, this Saturday night starting at 9pm until 12am, the PUMA City will be opening (the boats should have arrived) with a party.

Saturday, April 25th
What: PUMA City Opening Night featuring DJ Roy Barboza
When: Saturday, April 25th
Time: 9:00 pm ? 12:00 am
Why: Celebrate the opening of PUMA City with hip hop and top 40 tunes spun by Boston?s own DJ Roy Barboza

PUMA City full schedule for the 2-week Boston stopover. Entry is free and open to the public, and the Race Village is sure to be a blast, even if you've never been on a boat, much less care about the VOR. Plus, some cool people will be there to meet-feel like going toe to toe with Usain Bolt?

Saturday, April 25th
What: PUMA City Opening Night featuring DJ Roy Barboza
When: Saturday, April 25th
Why: Celebrate the opening of PUMA City with hip hop and top 40 tunes spun by Boston?s own DJ Roy Barboza

Sunday, April 26th
What: The PUMA Street Meet hosted by PUMA Athlete Usain Bolt
When: Sunday April 26th
Time: 1:00 pm ? 6:00 pm
Where: PUMA City and alongside Northern Avenue
Why: The World's Fastest Man, Usain Bolt, is coming to Boston for the first stop of the Street Meet World Tour. The Street Meet mixes the atmosphere of a Jamaican street carnival with the excitement of unexpected racing. There are no times or exact distances; no track is required. The event is open to everyone. The day's fastest people will compete for the title of Street Meet Champion.

What: Via Matta Presents Industry Sundays
When: Sunday, April 26th
Time: 7:00 pm - close
Why: A night just for those ?in the biz? ? the restaurant business that is. Tonight, PUMA City and Via Matta exclusively host Boston?s bartenders and members of the restaurant industry.

Tuesday, April 28th
What: PUMA City Happy Hour
When: Tuesday, April 28th
Time: 4:00 ? 7:00 pm
Why: Who said you can?t have fun during the week? Bring friends and colleagues to PUMA City!

Friday, May 1st
What: Happy Hour at PUMA City Bar
When: Friday, May 1st
Time: 4:00 ? 7:00 pm
Why: Enjoy after-work cocktails and music at PUMA City! A great way to jump start the weekend.

What: The Other Side Caf? Presents Goldsprint Throwdown, as part of PUMA iCycle Weekend
When: Friday, May 1st
Time: 8:00 pm ? 12:00 am
Why: For bike riders and fun-lovers, freeform goldsprint competitions open to those who are daring enough to try! Compete amongst local bike enthusiasts and novices and see if you can outpace the rest. Goldsprints are stationary track bikes on rollers where people compete against each other and a software program tracks your progress on the bike.
Hosted by Boston?s own The Other Side Caf?.

Saturday, May 2nd
What: PUMA iCycle Bike Weekend
When: Saturday, May 2nd
Time: 12:00 pm ? 6:00 pm
Why: As part of PUMA?s long-standing initiative to encourage bikes riding, PUMA?s iCycle Weekend features free bike tune-ups and repairs for Bostonians provided by Revolution Bicycle Repair.

What: Hearthrob vs Thunderdome
When: Saturday, May 2nd
Why: Two of the hottest music events in Boston collide only at PUMA City

Sunday, May 3rd
What: Meet the women of the Boston Breakers!
When: Sunday, May 3rd
Time: 12:30 pm ? 2:30 pm
Why: Meet Boston?s newest home team, the Boston Breakers of Women?s Professional Soccer! Meet #1 draft pick Amy Rodriguez and selected teammates, some of the most elite female soccer players from around the world.

What: The PUMA Open Tee Off Party
Time: 3:00 pm ? 7:00 pm
Why: The much anticipated non-traditional golf event, the PUMA Open, kicks off the golf season at PUMA City with a unique golf tournament format, designed just for PUMA City. The PUMA Open. It?s not your father?s golf tournament. Or your mother?s either.

Time: 7:00 pm ? 10:00 pm
Why: A night just for those ?in the biz? ? the restaurant business that is. Tonight, PUMA City and Via Matta exclusively host Boston?s bartenders and members of the restaurant industry.

Tuesday, May 5th
What: Burrito de Mayo with Qdoba Mexican Grill?
When: Tuesday, May 5th
Time: 6:00 pm ? 10:00 pm
Why: PUMA and Qdoba Mexican Grill present Burrito de Mayo. Break out the competitive side, along with some salsa, and join in the fun. The evening will be filled with qualifying rounds of intense burrito eating, prizes, music and local celebrities. And maybe a few sombreros. Participants must register in teams of four at going.com/burritodemayo

Wednesday, May 6th
What: PUMA City Fun Run
When: Wednesday, May 6th
Time: 6:30 pm
Why: Open for serious and not-so-serious runners, join PUMA for fun, casual run alongside Boston Harbor. Fun runs depart from PUMA City.
-
Thurday, May 7th
What: PUMA Presents The MP3 Beatdown Championships
When: Thursday, May 7th
Why: The much anticipated finals of The MP3 Beatdown Championships. After two intense rounds, the competition comes to a close when Boston's music elite duke it out to see who has the hottest playlist in the city

Friday, May 8th
What: DJ Kon and Vuitton
When: Friday, May 8th
Why: Catering to music lovers of rare funk tracks and hip hop, DJs Kon and Vuitton spin exclusively at PUMA City

Saturday, May 9th
What: The Volvo Ocean Race 2008-2009 In-Port Race
When: Saturday, May 9th
Time: 1:00 pm
Why: Watch the hometown team, PUMA Ocean Racing, compete on this in-port race, which counts for points toward the Volvo Ocean Race standings.

What: Soul Revival with DJ Rich Medina
When: Saturday, May 9th
Time: 9:00 pm ? 12:00 pm
Why: Boston's longest running underground soul/house party comes to PUMA City

Sunday, May 10th
What: The Volvo Ocean Race 2008-2009 Pro-Am Race
When: Sunday, May 10th
Why: Watch PUMA Ocean Racing and other competitors as they participate in a fun day of sailing in this Pro-Am Race, a tradition as part of the Volvo Ocean Race.

When: Sunday, May 10th
Time: 7:00 pm ? 10:00 pm
Why: A night just for those ?in the biz? ? the restaurant business that is. Tonight, PUMA City and Via Matt exclusively host Boston?s bartenders and members of the restaurant industry.

Tuesday, May 12th
What: PUMA City ?Hit the Deck? Shopping Event
When: Tuesday, May 12th
Time: 6:00 pm ? 9:00 pm
Why: An exclusive shopping event where guests enjoy shopping discounts at PUMA City on the latest and greatest PUMA footwear, apparel and accessories as well as a chance for cool prizes.

Friday, May 15th
What: The Bladerunners
When: Friday, May 15th
Time: 9:00 pm ? 12:00 pm
Why: Tag Team DJ Duo play a mish mash of styles to keep the crowd moving all night long at PUMA City.

Saturday, May 16th
What: PUMA Ocean Racing Departs to Galway
When: Saturday, May 16th
Why: Route for the home team as PUMA Ocean Racing departs Boston Harbor and begin Leg 7 of the Volvo Ocean Race to Galway!

PUMA City Hours of Operation
Sunday: 9:00 am ? 10:00 pm
Monday ? Wednesday: 10:00 am ? 10:00 pm
Thursday & Friday: 10:00 am ? 12:00 am
Saturday: 9:00 am ? 12:00 am

All events are free and open to the public. The events will take place at PUMA City, unless otherwise noted.

PUMA City is located at:
28 Northern Avenue
Boston, MA 02210

Just got back from opening day of the puma city thing. It was pretty dam cool. The bar was sweet (although watch out for $7 sam's summer ales.) Couldn't have asked for better weather. There was a good playlist going and a generally festive mood. It wasn't that crowded but i went pretty early.

Volvo had a display with all their cars and some construction trucks.

ericson had a pretty sweet looking hq but didn't really check it out.

There was a good view of the ICA from the third floor of puma city.

Also FP didn't look that bad. The glass looked good, but the precast looked really cheap.

I took the green line (b) from bc to park which took an 1:10. Red and silver lines took a combined 15 mins. Sry forgot the camera.

I stopped by here briefly today. The boats haven't arrived yet (they're due tomorrow AM) and it seemed like it was still setting up a bit.

It seemed cool though. I'll likely go back a few times before it packs up.

Puma City:
puma_city_1.jpg

Ericson's pavilion:
ericson_pavilion.jpg

Glad you guys stopped by to check it out. For an update, there's about 140 miles to Boston for the leader (Ericsson 4), with PUMA in third 22 miles behind them. May seem like a lot, but things could definitely change in the last stretch.

On the other hand, here's a night shot, and an article about the building of PUMA City, and it's future.

5uh2mx.jpg

Saturday 25 April 2009 21:30 GMT

By Riath Al-Samarrai

"January 2008," says Juggy Smith. "I've pretty much been married to this thing ever since."

A few metres away his distinctive bride is being dressed by more than 20 people. "She's pretty awesome," he adds. "But she's high maintenance."

Juggy is not sure he forgives Antonio Bertone, PUMA AG's enigmatic chief marketing officer, for setting up the relationship.

It was Bertone's vision to build a mammoth retail city out of shipping containers, and it was his persuasion that coaxed Juggy to become its mayor. In his mid-thirties and already very close to the top of the top table at PUMA, Bertone is the archetypal creative sort, quite eccentric in his way and capable of weird and wonderful ideas. He was a 21-year-old skateboarder when PUMA AG CEO Jochen Zeitz put him at the top of his new "sport lifestyle" division and today he is bouncing around on a bike, pondering out loud whether or not it would be proper to grind down the railings of his creation.

"I guess I've always just been obsessed with containers," he says. "A shipping container is a huge symbol of the industry. I've been obsessed with them for a while now, for a few years. It was a perfect opportunity to build the mother of all container projects. I just like them."

He placed LOT-EK in charge of designing his idea in mid-2007 and within six months it was done. By January 2008 Juggy, who had initially been recruited to work on the PUMA shore crew, had been repurposed and dispatched to China to build it.

Juggy explains: "They showed me this and I said ?oh dear god, what have you done?'. These guys have great ideas, but I'm like ?yeah, here on earth?'."

He continues: "We worked about six-and-a-half months constructing it, going through all manner of logistical nightmares to get it done and then we sent it to Alicante in July.

"She turns a lot of heads."

But she has also had him banging his against a wall.

"A lot of work has gone into this thing."

Understatement.

Juggy reels out the facts and figures behind a building that Travel + Leisure magazine named as the best retail space in its 2009 design awards.

"It's made of 24 containers and covers about 11,000 square feet," he says. "It's three stories high and is held together by 3,700 bolts and 15,000 screws. We burnt out eight drills installing them. When we assembled in Alicante she was eating something like 600 man hours a day.

"It weighs about 220 tonnes."

"That's 220 tonnes of pure manliness," Bertone chips in.

Now it is in Boston, the company and team's home. After this stopover, its next major appearance will be at the 2010 soccer World Cup, supporting the brand's hefty presence in Africa. Along the way, observers can follow it on a designated Facebook page.

It's all a little unusual for a shop. Bertone has the final words on that. "Normal is boring." Evidently.

Link

Jesus. Not worth it to walk to the C line?

Eh it was hot and i am lazy. Sometimes i am just too optimistic about the B line. The middle door got stuck right around harvard ave forcing the train to have to restart every stop. A tough lesson learned. :mad:

The model in the third picture actually looks really nice with its slanted top.

Ericcson 4 arrival (PUMA finished 4th, unfortunately, and dropped to 3rd overall):

149tu0g.jpg

that arial shot realy shows the potential of the area. Parking lots as far as the eye can see with what appears to be the potential of a real, vibrant, street grid.

If only we were getting a neighborhood on Fan Pier with as small a scale and as variegated in design as these pavillions.

The only thing I like about having a group of blocky towers in a gridded streetscape is that it makes it look really dense, although a nice setback at the top and a variation in height will make it look better.

I don't think it'll look dense, but who knows how it'll look when finished. I think that it'll just look less empty.

I like the glass part of the building A LOT!
It breaks the box!
NICELY!

Back