Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

The loading docks and garage entrances will foreaver be an eyesore that will not go away no matter how much they add to the first floors.

This is true, but even garage entrances probably aren't so bad once the other elements are in place. Try walking around Manhattan without frequently crossing in front of a garage entrance. They are all over the place.

As for loading docks, I guess I'd prefer to have them, than to have double parked trucks all over the place, especially trucks that are using the sidewalk as a staging area. A loading dock isn't necessarily anti-pedestrian. It only is when there is no reason for the pedestrian to be there in the first place.

I think you're right, Henry. Amenities are sometimes chicken/egg problems. Why aren't there amenities now? There aren't enough people. Why aren't there enough people? There aren't enough amenities. But, like you suggested, time rolls on. Just look at downtown. When a lot of the new office towers were built, the area was 9-5 so the options were limited and what was there closed early. Now downtown has an expanding residential population so we've been getting a number of ground floor redesigns. The process isn't pretty in the interim, but I don't know what anyone can or should do differently. Put amenities in when the population isn't ready? Doesn't sound like a good plan for economic health.

I'm thinking that Fallon sells the buildings fully occupied and possibly sells off the remaining part of Fan Pier to a corporation or another development company. He will easily double or triple his money at this point.

This thought may verge on sacrilege, but I wonder whether you will all still revile these buildings in 30-40 years. Once the fat village is built out, demand for amenities will likely lead to street level renovation, for example. And we all know that street level is king. Will the stumps be so bad once they have stores and galleries ret-conned in to the first floor?

This is an interesting thought. The alleyfied streets could be redeveloped in time, a la Melbourne's laneways. The stubs could come to be viewed like SoHo's warehouses and be redeveloped as loft spaces (after the inevitable outflux of office tenants to sexier digs in the next flawed redevelopment landscape). This all depends on the same sort of improbable warm love becoming attached to these buildings that cast iron benefitted from, though. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I find it a hard circle to square. This will have to be a few generations removed from us.

One big difference between Fan Pier and Soho's warehouse:
Brick and beam ages gracefully. Precast concrete paneling - not so much.

That's sort of my point. We'd have to get ourselves into the mentality where we'd find aged precast charming before this kind of transformation could occur. I think it could happen, but only among a future generation reacting against something they find even more revolting. These people will think so radically different from us that we will sound like suburbanites who wander Fort Point puzzled over why someone would want to live somewhere without copious private parking or verdant lawns.

That's sort of my point. We'd have to get ourselves into the mentality where we'd find aged precast charming before this kind of transformation could occur. I think it could happen, but only among a future generation reacting against something they find even more revolting. These people will think so radically different from us that we will sound like suburbanites who wander Fort Point puzzled over why someone would want to live somewhere without copious private parking or verdant lawns.

CZ, AMF, et al -- if the SPID neighborhood develops -- the people will adopt the quirks and make it a home. Ultimately, that's the key -- it really matters little what the construction is, or even the quality of the materials. What matters is that people want to live in a place and have some resources and some recourses to provide "curb appeal" and street-life.

Today, people are transforming the horible Commie Blocks in the former Warsaw Pact countries -- they are living in them and painting, planting flowers, blowing holes in the walls and creating room for small shops, etc. Of course there is a lot of very fancy new construction -- but the majority of the dynamic neighborhoods are founded on the old and less old buildings.

When I first arrived at MIT in 1970 the South End was a derelict slum with old shells of buildings available for about $5,000 (plumbing and probably most of the wiring had been stripped). Therefore, if you were starting to renovate in place, it was almost urban camping. Same could be said of the inner Harbor waterfront, many parts of Cambridge, Sommerville, Medford, Chelsea, Everett, Revere, East Boston, etc., etc. Even some parts of Back Bay were just frat house row.

But times changed, people with more money moved in -- in many cases the buildings didn't change except superficially on the outside. Today, we have active, functional, dynamic neighborhoods where there are Million $ brownstones, brick townhomes, wooden tripple deckers, old factory building condos as well as stately Victorians and new construction.

Given that the core of Boston which rose out of a slumbering state in the 1970's though 1990's, as it once again became a boom place where people and companies wanted to domicile, continues to be popular place (with the inevitable short-tem cycles) -- the process will go forth transforming one derelict area after another.

However, eventually it will stop --- and there will be some places which today are good and will become the new derelict districts. In the meantime, I think the SPID has a few decades to run until all of the land and derelict buildings are used-up.

One of my friends has an office across Seaport Blvd. The Courthouse was on fire today:

458867_764395628221_35003031_35695254_1114514216_o.jpg

Last edited:
^ if i were 6 and saw that many firetrucks, my head would explode. Now I still think its bad ass, but society moderates my enthusiasm.

??? Pic looks like it was taken from across Seaport Blvd to the south, not One Marina to the east?

My bad. Wrong friend. A lot of them work in the Seaport, got disoriented with the view. Lots of startups have been popping up down there.

One of my friends has an office across Seaport Blvd. The Courthouse was on fire today:

458867_764395628221_35003031_35695254_1114514216_o.jpg

Transformer blew in the basement -- obviously fairly new

Same day there was another outage and ancillary problems with electricity -- this time in Kendall Sq.

I forgot (and am far too lazy to sift through this thread) but what are the two buildings going up now?

They are for Vertex, which had its stock plunge after some issues with reports around its major CF drug

Back