Fan Pier Developments | Seaport

You're looking at between 40 and 50 years of architectural styles in this pic! Just as hair styles and clothing styles change over the years, so does the latest in architectural styles! The clothing/hair styles from the 70's and 80's look so out of date and crazy now when you look back at them now but at the time they were hip and very cool!! The big hulks such as 100 Federal St, formerly the First National Bank of Boston building (opened in 1971), 1 Federal St. (National Shawmut, 1975) or 1 Beacon St. were quite the buildings at the time and reflected the growth and the "New Boston!" of the time! Speaking only for myself, if you lived during this time, these first skyscrapers in Boston...including the Pru from back in "64" were absolutely awesome! Boston always seemed to have her building booms and busts come in cycles and during the 'busts' certain styles such as pointy tops, were missed! I guess what I'm saying is, just as a Brooks Brother's blazer (Custom House, Old JH) is always in fashion, other styles like the leisure suit (One Boston Place) are totally out of fashion but were absolutely hot at the time!

Because when your not using your personal money its all about how fast can you get the project done and move onto the next one. Fast buck Freddies. Pump & Dump Developments off the backs of the taxpayers.

No offense, but it seems you have that bass ackwards.

When it's not your money, you are typically more likely to splurge (ie. on the company credit card or ABC's extreme makeover). When it is your money, you watch every penny.

If I'm a developer building my own house.... then yes I pull out all the stops. When I'm developing for a tenant or prospective tenants, I cut out all the fluff to maximize profit. This is how it works and is not awful business sense.

Almost all developers are building for someone who is not them to occupy. If you can fill your box by building it for 200 bucks a square foot, why would you spend 250? To leave a lasting impression or a an architectural timepiece?

You think they would be more likely if it was their money on the line?

Think, aim, fire.

No offense, but it seems you have that bass ackwards.

When it's not your money, you are typically more likely to splurge (ie. on the company credit card or ABC's extreme makeover). When it is your money, you watch every penny.

If I'm a developer building my own house.... then yes I pull out all the stops. When I'm developing for a tenant or prospective tenants, I cut out all the fluff to maximize profit. This is how it works and is not awful business sense.

Almost all developers are building for someone who is not them to occupy. If you can fill your box by building it for 200 bucks a square foot, why would you spend 250? To leave a lasting impression or a an architectural timepiece?

You think they would be more likely if it was their money on the line?

Think, aim, fire.

If a private investor invests his own personal money or gets outside investors to believe in his project which he had a vision or a dream on a specific idea this usually represents somebody following their own personal passion.
In this case if the developer is looking to own the development for the long-term to rent to prospective tenants then he is going to make his investment the most enticing place to rent for the most money.

I agree that your statement can be held true when spending other people's money, people usually could careless, but even with taxpayers percs you need to be very cautious because these developers are still under a tight budget and they can go bankrupt real fast if liquidity drys up.

In the case of Fan Pier. Since Fallon paid too much for the site in the first place to command top rents the only solution was for the state & city to step in and persuade Vertex to move to the Innovation District. So Fallon's only issue now is to maximize his profit margins by skimming on the development. The Developer has no risk with such a generous tax incentive from the city & state which also helped him land his tenant. Who cares at this point.

If you need taxpayers money to make things work for you in business then maybe you really should be in a new line of business

Fallon is in a NO Lose, No Lose situation. Gotta love this corrupt system.

So in theory yes.....spending other peoples money usually leads to buying excess of useless & high priced shit. But in reality if your a developer your going to maximize your profits for this project. So you end up really short-changing the quality of the development because at this point you CAN.
Just move on to the next one.

Last edited:
It does have a sihlouette similar to Wachusett Mt., looks about the appropriate distance away . . . probably is.

Building B topped off!!

614541_10151040790277482_1771752103_o.jpg

Where do you get a tree this time of year? Special Order?

a) They are called evergreen for a reason.

b) Anywhere where there are not buildings there are likely to be trees.

Amazon.com, under Charlie Brown Christmas trees. They have everything, you know.

i heard this tradition was started by Isabella Stewart Gardner with her museum, but i could be completely lying.

At the risk of pulling a Whighlander, IIRC, it started in Scandinavia when people still believed in gods of the trees/forests and buildings were made of wood. The trees were raised to appease the gods that were presumed upset because of the use of the trees for construction.

Walls going up on the Eastern and Northern sides of Vertex 2. They are starting to wrap around to the Court House side (west).

Vertex 2 Boston 7/28

That cladding looks ever so slightly better than I expected. And the change in elevation ("tower" on the base) cuts down a bit on the stumpitude. This could have been worse, IMO.

"Welcome to Fan Pier- It could have been worse."

Actually, the buildings are starting to cover up the terrible precast of one marina park. Hopefully the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. What really will make or break this area is the ground floor. One Marina park has what 3? restaurant/retail spaces? This buildings will also need it, same with Pier 4. For the area to be a success floor 1 is 90% of the issue. Floors 2+ is very minor, despite the natural focus we have on them here.

Architect of this building, at some point: "Why use that full windowframe when we can just allow a slit of light in?"

"Welcome to Fan Pier- It could have been worse."

Actually, the buildings are starting to cover up the terrible precast of one marina park. Hopefully the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. What really will make or break this area is the ground floor. One Marina park has what 3? restaurant/retail spaces? This buildings will also need it, same with Pier 4. For the area to be a success floor 1 is 90% of the issue. Floors 2+ is very minor, despite the natural focus we have on them here.

Anyone know how many retail spaces do these two new buildings will have?

Back