Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore, Mass Turnpike PARCEL 7)

"Sep 13, 2011"

Yeah, no.

Damn it! Sorry bout that folks. I suppose this is a good reason for not posting things after staying up until two in the morning reading for school.

Anyway, what is going on with this? Anyone been over by Yawkey Station to see what kind of progress is being made there?

see post #576 thats about it^

Why are they building such a wasteful parking garage...probably never going to see full use....

This isnt a building project, its a garage project with buildings as a distraction

Rosenthal was on WGBH's Greater Boston recently to talk about this project. The interview can be viewed on the project's website: http://fenwaycenter.com/?page_id=292

As I was watching the segment I noticed they were showing a different rendering for building 4 than what we've seen before -- building 4 is the building proposed for Brookline Ave. as part of the first phase of this project.

Earlier Zapata Studio design:
fenway_cntr_bldg4_original_zapata.jpg

Current TAT design?:
fenway_cntr_bldg4_current_tat_persp2.jpg

fenway_cntr_bldg4_current_tat_persp1.jpg

As you can see, the developer appears to have replaced Zapata's design with one from TAT that is a bit more ordinary.

Also, it appears building 2 has a new TAT design, as well. Zapata's sleek articulated glass has been replaced with a more conventionally massed design (top is original; bottom current):
fenway_cntr_bldg2_comparison_3.jpg

fenway_cntr_bldg2_comparison_2.jpg

fenway_cntr_bldg2_comparison_1.jpg

fenway_cntr_bldg2_comparison_4.jpg

The two buildings of phase 1 besides the giant parking garage are both now residential. There is no longer an office component in the first phase. This was presumably done to make the project seem more appealing to potential financiers in this hot rental market.

These new changes make me think this project may actually move forward in the near future, but I really don't know. What I do know is if this thing does happen, it will look absolutely nothing like this:
fenway_cntr_original_aerial_turnpike.jpg

It's pretty clear that Rosenthal has no intention of building these designs, and I seriously doubt he ever did. Which is a shame because I thought the Zapata designs were fresh and interesting.

Great little photo/comparison essay, Briv. I enjoyed it. Thanks! =)

I'll also agree with you. The Zapata designs were so fresh and new for Boston architecture. Instead we just get yet ANOTHER building with Alucobond and offset windows.

Briv, thanks for doing the research and posting your findings. What an unfortunate downgrade.

To quote from one of the photos, "Game on" indeed.

HOORAY for more apartment inventory!!! Seriously, 10,000 new apartment units could come on the market tomorrow in Boston Proper and there would still be a dire shortage of residences. The BRA couldn't approve these projects fast enough.

Yes, that is definitely a plus. Residential growth is what we need!! It's great to have all of these office projects converted to res!!

I'm sitting a hundred yards from the site as I type this, and walked by (across) the Building 4 site this afternoon.

The TAT designs look like dogshit. I don't love Carlos Zapata, but at least his designs look like someone made an effort.

The yardstick for a successful project in Boston is about 15" long.

These new changes make me think this project may actually move forward in the near future, but I really don't know. What I do know is if this thing does happen, it will look absolutely nothing like this:
fenway_cntr_original_aerial_turnpike.jpg

This is the Beacon St side of the parcel, whereas everything else is shown from Brookline. Beacon could still end up like that?

Who's ready for another round of the "lower your expectations" game? I AM I AM!

And is anyone else worried by these pukey 1970s color schemes that seem to be popping up more and more? If there's one decade of architecture that should NOT be revived it's the '70s.

Holy crap is that brookline building ugly.

And is anyone else worried by these pukey 1970s color schemes that seem to be popping up more and more? If there's one decade of architecture that should NOT be revived it's the '70s.

Plus infinity

If there's one decade of architecture that should NOT be revived it's the '70s.

The John Hancock Tower is a 1970s building. The Christian Science Plaza and surrounding buildings are from then, too.

Ron, I think KZ is more concerned with the sometimes drab color palate of soem 70s era buildings. Think the architectural equivalent of an avocado-colored refrigerator.

Let's not get too worked up about the changes. The original design seems as if it could have wound up looking like the Son of Church Park.

The John Hancock Tower is a 1970s building. The Christian Science Plaza and surrounding buildings are from then, too.

Both of which were birthed and planned in the mid-'60s. Both are much more in spirit with the optimistic '60s than the fortress-of-solitude crap of the '70s. Puh-leez, don't even get me started on the 1970s.

Notice how painfully boring the section got. It should have been the other way around... Balconies are much better for res rather than office!!

I always like sections with elevators too. It adds some visual interest.

Fenway Center wins court battle
E-mail | Print | Comments (0) 10/10/2012 1:55 PM
0 0

New
By Casey Ross, Globe Staff

The state’s appeals court has upheld a land court ruling allowing the construction of the massive Fenway Center development, a complex of apartments, stores, and offices to be built over the Massachusetts Turnpike.

The appeals court found that there was no legal basis for HRPT Medical Buildings Realty Trust to block the $450 million project. HRPT had sued, claiming Fenway Center would improperly infringe on property it owns on Brookline Avenue.

HRPT appealed an unfavorable land court ruling in the case, but the state court of appeals on Tuesday upheld the land court’s decision.

HRPT could be immediately reached for comment.

Fenway Center developer John Rosenthal said he was gratified by the decision.

“Resolving this completely frivolous lawsuit clears the way for us to start construction,” he said.

The project is expected to get underway in spring. It includes 550 apartments, retail stores, parking garages, and a 27-story office and residential building on parking lots near the ballpark. A new commuter rail station is being next to the site.

The five-building complex is designed to be unlike anything now standing in Boston, with solar panels to generate much of its electricity. Part of the development will straddle the turnpike between Brookline Avenue and Beacon Street.

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

http://www.boston.com/businessupdat...ourt-battle/1GxH780nSd9L8EFnPiYikO/story.html

Say its all set to move forward in spring. I don't think they have financing yet, but hopefully they have had that waiting in the wings.

Between this, boylston west, Skanska, and the abbey group fenway could to be full with a lot of cranes this time next year.

Dollars to donuts the abutter appeals to Superior Court. Rosenthal won't get financing as long as there are potential avenues of appeal out there.

Back