Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore, Mass Turnpike PARCEL 7)

The new extension of Yawkey Way begins this spring. It will run down alongside Boston Beer Works to the new Yawkey Way station (there will be a curb cut with a drop off at the station). Then take a sharp left turn and connect to Maitland/Overland Streets.
It should be a 45-60 day project. But they're making the contractor do it in 4 phases (presumably to prevent the contractor from taking to many gameday parking spots?). So it's going to take over a year.

Those will remain stuck in the 1960s, criminally decrepit, underutilized, and blatantly catering to the wicked awesome supahfan suburban tourists.

Those suburban tourists are one of the drivers of the economy in that neighborhood; I doubt you'd be seeing nearly as much development there if it weren't for all the money that they bring in 81 days out of the year.

This part of the Fenway has been a series of rundown suburban parking lots for 80 years, the Soxcentric "economy of the neighborhood" notwithstanding - or, rather, thanks to it.

It's land between Brookline and the Back Bay. There's way more value in that location than in the bars or souvenir shops adjacent to the park. It'd be more developed without the incentive to make money parking cars there and the short-term thinking that caused people not to recognize its real value.

Disagree.

Well, what in particular makes that neighborhood more desirable than the surrounding areas? Its definitely getting more development than other areas close to a T stop. About the only other advantage I can see Fenway having over the rest of the Green Line is that parking lots are easier to replace than brownstones. But then, if it weren't for the suburban tourists, there wouldn't be those parking lots there in the first place, would there?

So...is this B.S. artist actually building something? Or is he just a liberal luvvie who is going to trade on his gun sign "good will" and flip the property?

So...is this B.S. artist actually building something? Or is he just a liberal luvvie who is going to trade on his gun sign "good will" and flip the property?

From what I understand, he's just selling the property to the Sox. If *they* do anything with the property, the sign will probably just get moved somewhere else. Maybe he'll buy some property in Brighton for his soapbox-by-the-pike.

The Sox for all intents and purposes already own anything with the empty suit with a grin's name on it.

Fenway Center would be eye-catching in many ways. Its main parking garage will straddle the turnpike and will be topped with enough solar panels to power a new commuter rail station that is under construction at the property’s edge. A second building over the turnpike, to be built later, will rise 27 stories and include stores, offices, and 120 apartments.

Oh, yeah. That totally inspires confidence.
Maybe I'm overly pessimistic? Either way, good to see this finally be more or less settled.

I'll take it. Now please, please, start building this complex now!

The Architectural Team (of Kensington infamy) took over this project from Zapata Studio so no wonder it looks like it got flushed down the toilet a few times. Gold into lead, classic Boston alchemy. Even so, bring on the shovels.

Also, don't be surprised if Phase 2 doesn't happen and the tower is never built.

I'm assuming they'll build the garage first.

How much more of a disaster will driving around there before/after Sox games when they build their massive parking garage?

How much of an increase in parking capacity (if any) will it be once the surface lots are built up?

I guess it was too much to hope for that the New Yawkey Station would be truly decked over and hidden from view. The ramp is okay, but the lowered plaza will always be a visible reminder that Brookline Ave. is a bridge there, and that defeats some of the aesthetic benefits of decking.

How much more of a disaster will driving around there before/after Sox games when they build their massive parking garage?

Doesn't the garage only have access/egress via the Pike? I thought that was the plan. Though, that requires striking a lane in each direction, so I'm not sure how realistic this is.

Yeah it looks like the building over the pike was eliminated?

:/

Yeah it looks like the building over the pike was eliminated?

:/

If by "eliminated" you mean "part of Phase 2".

But yeah, who knows if it's likely to actually happen.

Considering the lease payment is for the whole parcel, I figure they'll build it eventually. The garage and brookline ave residence will both span the pike as well.

Back