Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore, Mass Turnpike PARCEL 7)

Hmmm...Kenmore project is on the verge of being approved and not a peep from, Ned "Columbus Center isn't the only project I care about" Flaherty. Count me among the disappointed...

Hmmm...Kenmore project is on the verge of being approved and not a peep from, Ned "Columbus Center isn't the only project I care about" Flaherty. Count me among the disappointed...

Did you actually believe him? Ned Flaherty is just one of your run of the mill NIMBYs but on steroids.

What does this project mean for this building?

IMG_6677.jpg

IMG_6678.jpg

IMG_6679.jpg

^ Beauty and the (little) Beast.

That is some sort of utility building, I think, maybe for Boston Edison?

That is some sort of utility building, I think, maybe for Boston Edison?

It is the Boston Edison building.

My question is if tis going to be demolished for this project

Boston Edison is the old name for what's now NStar. The steam company is something else now -- I forget its current name -- but it doesn't serve any area this far west.

I've seen NStar workers working in/near that building so I think you're all correct about it being a substation or something.

The steam company in Boston (and I think they own some steam lines in Cambridge also) is Trigen. Recently bought by Veolia, a giant french conglomerate which I work for.

I think it might have been a trolley power station. Looks like an classier version of these two stations, (Kenmore Square was very very high class once):

http://www.bnntv.org/images/media_center_full.jpg

http://www.historicboston.org/Roslindale Feasibility.pdf

Brief History
When built in 1911 the Roslindale Substation functioned as part of the Boston Elevated Railway Company's then revolutionary alternating electric current power system. Designed by Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation, the Substation is one of six nearly identical converter substations built in and around Boston at that time. The Substation converted alternating electric current (AC) transmitted from a new South Boston Power Station via underground cables into direct current (DC)
for use by local trolley cars. With its high technology for the day, this system generated and distributed additional power at a lower cost.

and if you are interested in the current status of the Roslindal station:
http://bulletinnewspapers.com/defau...&pform=&sc=1725&hn=bulletinnewspapers&he=.com

Looks like a mini version of the giant substation near Central Avenue in Dorchester. It's directly next to the Red Line station, across the river, just below the lower mills area and the Milton line.

Re: Columbus Center

[size=+2]Scott Van Voorhis: MTA demise adds hurdle to air rights development[/size]

MTAdemise.jpg

Re: Columbus Center

No kidding, eh?

Hey NIMBY Ned, why don't you learn how to post to the appropriate topics too? Even though there is a a very minor detail about CC, this is clearly a Kenmore development article.

I moved these here but I also left Ned's post in the CC thread.

Oh man, I was getting excited that Ned was going to start posting in other threads. Turns out you just moved it for him. Way to ruin my day, Van!

Oh well, guess Ned will just have to keep at his crusade against the injustices of the world back in the thread about the construction site that happens to be next door to his apartment.

21kenmore-pgB5__1232535590_4407.gif

Project's solar panels could power apartments

By Casey Ross, Globe Staff | January 21, 2009

Developer John Rosenthal wants to build what would be the state's largest solar installation atop one of the buildings in his sprawling development along the Massachusetts Turnpike near Fenway Park.

The solar farm would be installed on the roof of a parking garage that Rosenthal would build over the turnpike by Brookline Avenue. Altogether, Rosenthal's proposed One Kenmore development is a five-building complex that includes a 27-story residential tower, 367,000 square feet of offices, retail stores, and 1,290 parking spaces.

Rosenthal said the solar farm could produce up to 450 kilowatts of electricity, enough to power about 100 of the 330 apartments he wants to build on land between Brookline Avenue and Beacon Street.

"The beauty of it is that the energy generated through the solar array would be used both on site and could feed into the energy grid," said Rosenthal, who in the 1970s and 1980s demonstrated against nuclear power. "To build this is a dream come true for me."

The One Kenmore project, including the solar installation, still needs approvals from state regulators and city officials. The Boston Redevelopment Authority is expected to vote on the development plan after a public hearing scheduled for next Thursday.

A top city official sounded initial support for the solar component yesterday, saying it would help advance Mayor Thomas M. Menino's goal of developing 25 megawatts of solar power in the city by 2015. Currently, the city has solar installations that produce about 1 megawatt of solar power and others under development that would combine to produce another 1 megawatt.

"This reduces energy demand, saves money for residents, and advances the city's greenhouse reduction goals," said Jim Hunt, the city's director of energy and environment.

State Environmental Secretary Ian Bowles said Rosenthal was required to examine energy use alternatives under the state's environmental permitting statute. He said the solar farm would be the largest in the state, eclipsing the 425-kilowatt Brightfield development in Brockton.

"This is emblematic of the kind of clean-energy installations we're looking for in major real estate developments," Bowles said. "What we're finding in the real estate community is that making these green commitments is often far more cost effective and practical than widely believed."

Last year, the state began offering rebates to encourage businesses and residents to install solar panels on their properties. The cost of solar panels has also decreased because there are now many more installers available in Massachusetts, 75 compared to just 25 a year ago, Bowles said.

Rosenthal said he intends to apply for government subsidies from both federal and state incentive programs. He said he will not seek additional aid to help pay for construction of his development.

The One Kenmore development also includes construction of a new Yawkey commuter rail station and access roads into the property. The state earmarked $24 million to pay for those upgrades from a previously approved economic stimulus plan.

The Red Sox are a minority partner in One Kenmore. The New York Times Co., owner of the Globe, is part owner of the company that owns the team.

Construction of Yawkey station is expected to begin in 2010, with work on One Kenmore to start in late 2010 or 2011.

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/gre...projects_solar_panels_could_power_apartments/

I'd think that wind might be more effective than solar, at least in Boston. I mean, how much sun do we really get...?

Waaaaay more than Buffalo, I can tell you that.

Yeah, I lived in Buffalo while going to school. Pretty depressing winters, but the summers were really nice; warm but not humid. Here's a site to compare days of sun:
http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/cldy.html

Boston doesn't do too bad actually, although it's no California city: 98 clear days, 104 partly cloudy and 163 cloudy. Variety is a good thing. Buffalo, on the other hand, has 45 more cloudy days than Boston.

Back