Fenway Infill and Small Developments

IMG_20141202_123040.jpg

So with regards to this, Samuels just filed an NPC for the point increasing its height from 270 to 340 (not including mechanicals), which I believe is in accordance with the maximum height allowed under the proposed PDA amendment. The NPC also includes the additions of a few units and a reductions in overall retail.

Anyway, here it is:

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/7fdc9ff4-eab0-440a-9f5f-ee1b66625cbc

Interesting, I'm guessing that's the cause for the delay of the demo work, which was supposed to happen in November.

Here's a new render with the 30 story building. Looks like it's very similar to the original, just extended. Interesting that they are not showing the muddy river project in the render, just an open field instead of a river.

VW7HMi6.jpg

wqmBuqm.png

This puts the Point at what, 12 stories taller than any surrounding buildings? Does the height change need to be approved to be built or has Samuels got it in the bag?

Yeah, I completely forgot about it. Looks like it is another phase of the Van Ness (1325 Boylston Street) project.

Looks like it got a few mentions on here back in 2011:
http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=3762
http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=3550&page=4

I was expecting The Point to be the next development to go up, but looks like it might have competition.

I believe they are just renovating it. There are permits for sidewalk occupancies for window replacements.

This puts the Point at what, 12 stories taller than any surrounding buildings? Does the height change need to be approved to be built or has Samuels got it in the bag?

I'm pretty sure The Point parcel is already meant to be the tallest in the area under zoning. Samuels' relationship with the neighborhood is supposedly good; I wouldn't be surprised if the change gets approved (if needed).

Approaching 350', though?? Fantastic news. That would make it the tallest outside the downtown and Back Bay cores AFAIK, and IMO this has the design to match.

If you look at post 842 above, it appears that the Zoning Commission held a public hearingh on December 3 to consider the zoning amendment that would permit the additional height. Typically the Zoning Commission acts upon a proposal the night of the hearing. The Zoning Commission approval, if received, was likely the last major approval required.

Eyeballing the diagram in my last post leads to a total height (including the mechanical penthouse) of about 370 feet.

Approaching 350', though?? Fantastic news. That would make it the tallest outside the downtown and Back Bay cores AFAIK, and IMO this has the design to match.

Great news! I wish it was the tallest outside of the Back Bay and Downtown, but sadly we have these monstrosities in the West End that I can not forget about:

The Towers at Longfellow

That conflicts with this bizjournals article that says Wahlburgers will be occupying this space next year:

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/b...sion-efforts-come-together-this.html?page=all

Unless this project is expected to be completed by summer of 2015, I don't see how both could be happening simultaneously.

I think you are correct and I may have jumped the gun. I was looking at other shots, I took of the 132 Brookline Ave site, and noticed that all the trees have protective slats around them. They would have to be removed for the 132 tower to be built. Thats the bad news, but the good news is that the conversation surfaced the fact that the Point has grown by 9 floors.

Do we know how long the lease is signed for?

Whats standard 5 years? Samuels has plenty in the pipeline to keep him busy that's for sure.

A new building with luxury living? NO WAY

Please pile on and tell me what a dope I am, but I think 30 stories is too tall for the Point site. I'd prefer to see this more in scale with the Sears building, with a shape that reflected the shape of the lot better--something that says "this cool-ass neighborhood begins with this wedgy bit here" rather than just being the tallest building of the bunch.

Back